Sights in Outer East of Moscow

  Our section on sights in the Outer East of Moscow covers sights in the Eastern and South-Eastern Administrative Districts of the city.  This roughly covers the area of Moscow between the Third Ring Road to the MKAD Ring Road from Proskepkt Mira/Yaroslavskoe Shosse to Volgogradsky Prospect and Ulitsa Lyublinskaya.  Other major roads in between include Ulitsa Bolshaya Cherkizovskaya/Schyolkovskoe Shosse, Shosse Entuziastov and Ryazansky Prospekt.  This part of Moscow is mainly served by the eastern/southern ends of the red, dark blue, yellow, light green and purple lines of the metro.

Around Aviamotornaya Metro Station

Church Ensemble at Saltykov Bridge

  • 3/8С16-17 Ulitsa Samokatnaya
  • Aviamotornaya, Ploschad Ilicha

Close to Lefortovo Park in the Lefortovo District but inside the Third Ring Road is a church ensemble consisting of two empire-style churches.  The ensemble's larger summer church is the Trinity Church at Saltykov Bridge which was built between 1817 and 1819.  It was joined in 1829 by the ensemble's winter church - the Presentation of Virgin Mary Church at Saltykov Bridge. Both churches are similar in style and structure, featuring central domes on rotundas surrounded with four… Read more »

History of Lefortovo Museum

  • 23 Kryukovskaya Ulitsa
  • Aviamotornaya, Elektrozavodskaya
  • 10:00 - 18:00 (Thursdays: 13:00 - 21:00). Closed on Mondays and the last Friday of the Month.

The History of Lefortovo Museum was opened in 1999 and is dedicated to the history of the Lefortovo District and Moscow's historical Foreign Quarter. The museum's exhibits detail Peter the Great's close association with the district as well as the career of Franz Lefort after whom the district is named. It also has displays on the emperors and empresses who built residences here and on the district's war time effort and on its modern industrial development. The museum is run as a… Read more »

Lefortovo Estate

  • 3 Ulitsa Krasnokazarmennaya
  • Aviamotornaya, Baumanskaya, Elektrozavodskaya

Situation in between two sections of the Third Ring Road in between Aviamotornaya, Baumanskaya and Eletrozadvodskaya metro stations on the banks of the River Yauza is Lefortovo Park. The park's history really starts in 1721 when Peter the Great bought a manor house here and had it made into a residence. The gardens outside the residence became known as Golovinsky Gardens after their former owner. The successors of Peter the Great also had residences built here; Empress Anna had… Read more »

Normandie-Nieman Regiment Monument

  • Krasnokadetsky Skver
  • Aviamotornaya, Baumanskaya

in 2007, in the small gardens known as Krasnokadetsky Skver (Red Cadets Public Gardens) located outside the Catherine Palace, a monument was unveiled by President Vladimir Putin and President Nicholas Sarkozy of France dedicated to the airmen of the Normadie-Nieman Regiment. The Normadie-Nieman Regiment was a French Air Squadron which was created in 1942 in Ivanovo and served on the Eastern Front for the remainder of the Second World War. Some of the airmen who were killed were… Read more »

Rogozhsky Old-Believers Settlement

  • 1 Ulitsa Rogozhsky Posyolok
  • Aviamotornaya, Ploschad Ilicha

Located just outside the Third Ring Road, approximately half way between Ploschad Ilicha and Aviamotornaya metro stations is the Rogozhsky Old-Believers Settlement and the Rogozhskoe Cemetery. The settlement began in 1771 after the establishment of the Rogozhskoe Cemetery. Empress Catherine the Great initially allowed the construction of an Old-Believers almshouse and refuge next to the cemetery. In addition an Old-Believers chapel was also built without permission and the area… Read more »

Ss Peter and Paul's Church in Lefortovo

  • 4 Ulitsa Soldatskaya
  • Aviamotornaya, Baumanskaya

On the corner of Ulitsa Soldatskaya and 1-y Krasnokursantsky Proezd is Ss Peter and Paul's Church in Lefortovo. The first church dedicated to Ss Peter and Paul here was consecrated in 1613. The current version was completed in 1711 to replace the original wooden church and comprises a cube structure with five small domes attached to bell tower via a closed vestibule. The church was not closed during the Soviet years. Read more »

Vvedenskoe Cemetery

  • Entrances on Ulitsa Nalichnaya and Ulitsa Gospitalny Val
  • Aviamotornaya, Elektrozavodskaya

The Vvedenskoe Cemetery was also founded in the 1770s during the outbreak of the plague. Due to its location close to Moscow's historical German or Foreign Quarter (all non-Russians used to be called Germans), the Vvedenskoe Cemetery became the city's principal burial ground for foreigners and for Catholics and Protestants. The cemetery also has a military connection. Some French soldiers who died during Napoleon's invasion of Russia in 1812 are buried here as well as some German… Read more »

Around Partizanskaya Metro Station

Izmailovo Estate

  • Gorodok imemi Baumana
  • Partizanskaya
  • 10:00 - 18:00

In the 17th century a royal estate was built in the historical village of Izmailovo which was then located outside of Moscow. The estate was built on an island surrounded by ponds. The land had been held by the Romanovs since 1571 when it was given by Ivan the Terrible to his brother-in-law Nikita Romanovich Zakharin-Yuriev, who is considered the founder of the Romanov dynasty. When the Romanovs became tsars the estate was developed and a palace, a cathedral and governmental… Read more »

Izmailovo Kremlin and Vernisazh

  • 73Ж Izmailovskoe Shosse
  • Partizanskaya
  • 09:00 - 18:00

Not everybody knows that there is in fact a second kremlin in Moscow located in the area of the capital historically known as Izmailovo, behind the Soviet style Izmailovo hotel complex which was built for the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympic Games. Unlike the main Kremlin though, Izmailovo Kremlin is not a historical site but a modern day wooden cultural and entertainment complex. It was built at the end of 20th century and has been added to ever over the subsequent years. The main part… Read more »

Izmailovsky Park

  • 7 Alleya Bolshogo Kruga
  • Partizanskaya, Izmailovskaya and Shosse Entuziastov

The area immediately south of Partizanskaya and Izmailovskaya metro stations is taken up by the Izmailovsky Park. The park was originally part of the Izmailovo Royal Estate. In 1930 the Izmailovo Park of Culture and Rest was established which was later briefly renamed Stalin Park. The statue of Stalin which now stands in the Muzeon Sculpture Park once stood here. Today the area of the park south of Partizanskaya metro station has many fair-ground attractions, including two Ferris… Read more »

Around Preobrazhenskaya Ploschad Metro Station

Exaltation of the Cross Old-Believers Church

  • 17с15 Ulitsa Preobrazhensky Val
  • Preobrazhenskaya Ploschad

The Exaltation of the Cross Old-Believers Church was built between 1809 and 1811 on the site of a cloister which was part of the Preobrazhenskoe Community of the denomination of Old-Believers known as Fedoseevtsy. It has no altar section as the Fedoseevtsy do not have priests. In the 1920s buildings of the community were expropriated by the state, but the church remained open and part of the complex's wall remains. Today the community has been re-established and the site serves as… Read more »

Former Nikolsky Coreligionist Monastery

  • 25 Ulitsa Preobrazhensky Val
  • Preobrazhenskaya Ploschad

The Nikolsky Old-Ritualists Monastery was founded in 1866. Before the monastery was founded there was already an Old-Believers community here. Under Tsar Nicholas I the Old-Believers community was persecuted and some were even exiled. Those who remained were forced to accept the authority of the official Russian Orthodox Church and became known as Coreligionists ('Yedinoverye' in Russian). After this had taken place St Nicholas' Church was reconstructed between 1854 and 1857 and… Read more »

Preobrazhenskoe Cemetery

  • 14 Kovylinsky Pereulok
  • Preobrazhenskaya Ploschad, Semyonovskaya

Next to the Former Nikolsky Coreligionists Monastery is the Preobrazhenskoe Cemetery which is also associated with the Old-Believers movement. It was opened in 1771 after an outbreak of the plague and also contains several chapels, the most beautiful of which is the Russian gothic St Nicholas' Chapel. In addition to Old-Believers, maтy Soviet war dead were also buried here and there is a memorial to them inside the cemetery. Read more »

St Elijah the Prophet's Church in Cherkizovo

  • 17 Ulitsa Shtatnaya Gorka
  • Preobrazhenskaya Ploschad, Cherkizovskaya

Standing next to Cherkizovsky Pond is St Elijah the Prophet's Church in Cherkizovo. The former village of Cherkizovo is named after Ivan Serkizov - a christened Tatar from the Golden Horde who entered Russian service. Serkizov later sold the land to another christened Tatar called Ilia Ozakov who had the first St Elijah the Prophet's Church built here in 1370. The church was rebuilt in stone between 1689 and 1690 after the original wooden version burned down. The church consists of… Read more »

Around Ryazansky Prospekt Metro Station

Dormition Church in Veshnyaki

  • 17 Ulitsa Yunosti
  • Ryazansky Prospekt, Vykhino

Standing at the intersection of Ulitsa Papernika and Ulitsa Yunosti is the Dormition Church in Veshnyaki. The Veshnyakovo Estate is the historical name of this area which has since been incorporated into Moscow as the Veshnyaki District. The tent-dome church was built between 1644 and 1646 on the orders of Count Fyodor Sheremetev who owned Veshnyakovo as well as the neighbouring Kuskovo Estate. The church's bell tower was added at the end of the 17th century. In 1940 the church was… Read more »

Kuskovo Estate

  • 2 Ulitsa Yunosti
  • Ryazansky Prospekt, Vykhino
  • 10:00 - 18:00 in summer and 10:00 - 16:00 in winter. Closed on Mondays, Tuesdays and the last Wednesday of the month. (Museums)
  • 10:00 - 20:00 in summer and 10:00 - 16:00 in winter. (Grounds)

The Kuskovo Estate served as the summer residence of the Sheremetev noble family for around 300 years. Kuskovo first became owned by the Sheremetevs in the late 16th century. It is believed that the name is derived from the Russian word for piece - 'kuskok', as when the Sheremetevs first acquired the land, it was just a small piece of a much larger neighbouring land plot. The first wooden buildings were constructed there in the early 17th century, although the complex which… Read more »

Kuzminki Estate (Museum of Estate Culture)

  • Ulitsa Kuzminskaya
  • Kuzminki, Volzhsky, Ryazansky Prospekt
  • (Museum)
  • (Church)
  • 10:00 - 18:00 (Thursdays 13:00 - 21:00 in summer). Closed on Mondays and the last Friday of the month.

Situated in Kuzminki Park, which is immediately east of Lyublinsky Park, is the Kuzminki Estate which is also known as the Vlakhernskoe-Kuzminki Estate. The origins of the Kuzminki Estate go back to 1702 when the Kuzminskaya Mill was acquired by the Stroganov dynasty. In 1757 the estate passed to the Golitsyns as part of Anna Stroganova's dowry when she married Prince Mikhail Golitsyn. It is during the time of Mikhail Golitysn that the land was first developed as an estate and a… Read more »

Around Semyonovskaya Metro Station

Monument to the Semyonovsky Regiment Guardsman

  • Semyonovskaya Ploschad
  • Semyonovskaya

Standing outside a business centre on Semyonovskaya Ploschad is a statue of a guardsman from the Semyonovsky Life-Guards Regiment. The regiment traces its history back to Peter the Great's toy regiment in 1687 and in 1700 it was designated the Semyonovsky Life-Guard Regiment after the village of Semyonovskoe where it was originally stationed. This village has long since been incorporated into Moscow although its name lives on in the square and the local metro station. The regiment… Read more »

Resurrection of Christ Church in the former Semyonovskoe Cemetery

  • 2 Izmailovskoe Shosse
  • Semyonovskaya

As its official name suggests, the Resurrection of Christ Church in the former Semyonovskoe Cemetery once stood in what was the Semyonovskoe Cemetery, which was most likely founded at the same time as the village of Semyonovskoe. The church was built in 1855 and features a single-domed structure attached to a small bell tower. In 1929 the park was closed and used as factory. The surrounding cemetery was closed in the late 1930s and later turned into a park in the 1960s. In 1993 the… Read more »

St Dimitri of Saloniki's Church in Blagusha

  • 6A Ulitsa Ibragimova
  • Semyonovskaya, Partizanskaya

Just under halfway between Semyonovskaya and Partizanskaya metro stations is the pretty St Dimitri of Saloniki's Church in Blagusha. Bagusha was the name of the village which was situated here between the villages of Semyonovskoe and Izmailovo before being incorporated into the borders of Moscow. The church was built between 1909 and 1911 after it was decided a new church was needed to serve the influx of workers to the factories in this area. The church was built in the Neo… Read more »

Around Sokolniki Metro Station

Nativity of St John the Baptist Church in Sokolniki

  • 2A Kolodezhny Pereulok
  • Sokolniki

Another pretty church in the Sokolniki District is the Nativity of St John the Baptist Church in Sokolniki. The first church to stand here was built in the 17th century on the territory of the Stary Preobrazhensky Palace of Tsar Alexis. In the early 19th century the land was sold to merchants who built a factory here. Later the factory became a workhouse and orphanage and the current church dates from 1915 as part of this complex. In 1923 the church and workhouse were closed and… Read more »

Resurrection of Christ Church in Solkolniki

  • 6 Sokolnicheskaya Ploschad
  • Sokolniki

Standing on Sokolnicheskaya Ploschad between Sokolniki metro station and the entrance to Sokolniki Park is the Resurrection of Christ Church in Sokolniki. The church was built between 1909 and 1913 in a modern style in the shape of a cross. It has a central golden dome standing on a tall tent-dome, surrounded on all sides by eight black domes. In the 1930s the church was given to the Renovationist Church but was returned to the Orthodox Church in 1943, remaining open ever since. … Read more »

Sokolniki Park

  • 1c1 Ulitsa Sokolnichesky Val
  • Sokolniki
  • 08:00 - 23:00. Daily.

Sokolniki Park has existed in some from since the 17th century when it was used by the tsars for hunting with falcons, from where it gets its name ('sokol' is the Russian for falcon). Paths were later laid out in the park in the shape of a fan. In 1879 the territory was bought by the state to be used as a public park and it remains today one of the most popular parks in Moscow all year round. Close to the entrance to the park there are lots of cafes and some amusement attractions… Read more »

Around Volzhskaya Metro Station

Lyublino Estate

  • 1-1 Ulitsa Letnyaya
  • Volzhskaya
  • 10:00 - 18:00. Closed on Mondays.

The Lyublino Estate was first mentioned in sources in the 16th century around the same time as the village of Lyublino was first mentioned. It is suggested that its name derives from the Russian verb for to love 'lyubit'. The estate was initially owned by the Godunov dynasty. Later it passed to the Prozorovsky family and finally in 1800 a successful land owner called Nikolai Durasov acquired the estate and it is under Durasov that the estate took its present form. In 1918 the… Read more »

Nikolo-Perervinsky Monastery

  • 89 Ulitsa Shosseynaya
  • Pechatniki, Volzhskaya
  • http://перервинский-монастырь.рф/

Moscow's southernmost Monastery is the Nikolo-Perervinsky Monastery which is located close to the River Moskva in the Pechatniki District. The first record of the monastery was made in 1623 but it is believed to be much older than this, perhaps dating even as far back as 1380 after the Battle of Kulikovo Field. At the end of the 17th century Patriarch Adrian made the monastery his summer residence which led to its first stone cathedral being built. In 1775 the Perervinskaya… Read more »