Coat of arms

Rybinsk

Rybinsk stands on the confluence of the rivers Volga and Sheksna close to the Rybinskoe Reservoir. Its current name is derived from the Russian word for fish – ‘ryba’, which is explained by the fact that the city once supplied the royal court in Moscow with sturgeons and other fish. The city can be easily visited from both Yaroslavl and Moscow, and can be combined with a visit to Tutaev, Myshkin or Uglich.

Rybinsk


Basic facts
Name in Russian
Рыбинск
Status
City-municipality and administrative centre of the Rybinsk District of the Yaroslavl Region
Location
On the rivers Volga and Sheksna
Distance
90km north-west of Yaroslavl, 320km north of Moscow
Time Zone
Moscow Time
Population
194,843 people (2014)
First Mentioned
1071
Former Names
Ust-Sheksna, Rybnaya Sloboda, Scherbakov, Andropov
Titles/Awards
Golden Ring City (secondary)
Official Website
http://rybinsk.ru/