Coat of arms

Shuya

  In the 15th century Shuya was the centre of an appendage principality which was ruled by the Suzdal line of Ryurikid princes - who in turn became known as the Shuisky family. In the 18th and 19th centuries the city became a thriving merchant and textile centre and many buildings from this era have survived, resulting in Shuya being named an Historical City of Russia. The city has no railway station but can easily be visited by bus from Ivanovo.

Shuya


Basic facts
Name in Russian
Шуя
Status
City-municipality and administrative centre of the Shuya District of the Ivanovo Region
Location
On the River Teza
Distance
35km south-east of Ivanovo; 320km north-east of Moscow
Time Zone
Moscow Time
Population
58,570 people (2014)
First Mentioned
1539
City Day
First Sunday of June
Official Website
http://www.okrugshuya.ru/