Coat of arms

Nizhny Novgorod

Nizhny Novgorod

Russia’s fifth city by population is Nizhny Novgorod. It was founded in the 13th century on the confluence of the River Oka and River Volga and a kremlin was established to protect Russia from the Tatars to the east. It was named after the ancient city of Novgorod with the addition of the prefix ‘Nizhny’ meaning ‘lower’ because of its position further down the River Volga - it is often today just referred to as Nizhny. The city later became the centre of a major principality as the princes of Suzdal made the city their new capital. The version of its kremlin rebuilt in the early 16th century is today one of the main highlights of the city. During the Soviet era the city was closed to foreigners and renamed Gorky - after the writer Maksim Gorky who was born here.


Basic facts
Name in Russian
Нижний Новгород
Status
City-municipality and administrative centre of the Nizhny Novgorod Region and Volga Federal District
Location
On the confluence of the rivers Oka and Volga
Distance
420km east of Moscow
Time Zone
Moscow Time
Population
1,263,873 people (2014)
Founded
1221
Former Names
Gorky
City Day
12 June
Official Website
нижнийновгород.рф