Coat of arms

Tikhvin

Tikhvin

Tikhvin has existed since at least the 14th century and developed thanks to it location on the once vital trade route to Lake Ladoga and the Baltic Sea. It further developed following the foundation, on the orders of Ivan the Terrible, of its main sight: the Bogorodichny Uspensky Monastery. The beautiful monastery with fortified walls stands between the River Tikhvinka and a pond, and as the guardian of the Our Lady of Tikhvin Icon, it became a popular site of pilgrimage for Orthodox believers.

In addition, the city has other pretty churches and a museum dedicated to the composer Rimsky-Korsakov. Due to its war time history and its role in securing the Road of Life, the city has been named a City of Military Glory.


Basic facts
Name in Russian
Тихвин
Status
City and administrative centre of the Tikhvin District of the Leningrad Region
Location
On the River Tikhvinka
Distance
220km east of St Petersburg, 640km north-west of Moscow
Time Zone
Moscow Time
Population
58,289 people (2014)
First Mentioned
1383
Titles/Awards
City of Military Glory
Official Website
http://tikhvin.org/