The village of Koporye in the Lomonosov District of the Leningrad Region is famous for the fortress of the same name located here. A wooden fortress was first built on this spot in 1237 by the Livonian Knights but this was captured by Aleksandr Nevsky in 1241. The existing stone version was built here at the end of the 13th century to protect Novgorod lands from the Swedes. Today the fortress is now a museum and although it is in parts ruins it is nevertheless an impressive sight.