Moscow's southernmost Monastery is the Nikolo-Perervinsky Monastery which is located close to the River Moskva in the Pechatniki District. The first record of the monastery was made in 1623 but it is believed to be much older than this, perhaps dating even as far back as 1380 after the Battle of Kulikovo Field. At the end of the 17th century Patriarch Adrian made the monastery his summer residence which led to its first stone cathedral being built. In 1775 the Perervinskaya Seminary was opened on the monastery's territory. The monastery was closed in 1929. In 1991 its cathedrals were reopened for worship and in 1995 it gained the status of a podvorye (embassy church) of the Patriarch. To get here take bus No. 161, 292 or 703 from Pechatniki or Tektilschiki metro stations to the 'Nikolo-Perervinsky Monastyr' stop.
The main entrance to the monastery is served by the Our Lady of Tolga Gate-Church which was built in 1733. Immediately beyond this are the monastery's two cathedrals. The monastery's oldest cathedral is St Nicholas' Cathedral which was built between 1696 and 1700 in the baroque style with a bell tower. The massive cathedral opposite is the Our Lady of Iveron Cathedral which was built between 1904 and 1908 in the Byzantine style. At the back of the monastery is a statue of Metropolitan Platon who also used the monastery as a summer residence.
|Location||89 Ulitsa Shosseynaya|