Sights in Meschansky District

Around Dostoevskaya Metro Station

Aleksandr Suvorov Monument

  • Suvorovskaya Ploschad
  • Dostoevsky

Situated on Suvorovskaya Ploschad (Suvorov Square) is a statue of the square's namesake - Aleksandr Suvorov, the celebrated 18th-century Generalissimo of the Russian Empire who is famed for never losing a single battle. The monument was unveiled in 1982 and is the work of the sculptor Oleg Komov. Opposite to the statue is the impressive star-shaped Central Academic Theatre of the Russian Army. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Meschansky District Read more »

Central Armed Forces Museum

  • 2 Ulitsa Sovetskoy Armii
  • Dostoevskaya
  • 10:00 - 17:00. Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

The Central Armed Forces Museum started its life as an exhibition on the Life of the Red Army and Fleet in 1920. Over the decades the museum has been renamed many times and has been located in several locations. It has been in its current specially-constructed building since 1965 when it was known as the Central Soviet Army Museum. It gained its present name in 1993. The museum is a treasure house of Soviet military items and technology, dating from the Revolution, the Second World… Read more »

Fyodor Dostoevsky Apartment-Museum

  • 2 Ulitsa Dostoevskogo
  • Dostoevsky
  • 11:00 - 18:00 on Tuesdays, Fridays and weekends; 13:00 - 20:00 on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Closed on Mondays.

Located in the northern wing of the Mariinsky Hospital is the Fyodor Dostoevsky Apartment-Museum. Dostoevsky was born in this hospital in 1821 and lived in the apartment where the museum is now located from 1823 to 1837 as his father worked at the hospital. The museum was opened in 1928 and restored between 1979 and 1982. The museum is run as a branch of the State Literature Museum. In the gardens in front of the hospital itself is a statue of the great author. ►sights by… Read more »

Gulag Museum

  • 9c1 1-y Samotechny Pereulok
  • Dostoevskaya, Novoslobodskaya
  • 11:00 – 19:00 (Thursdays 12:00 – 21:00), daily except Mondays and the last Friday of the month.

In 2015, on the national day of remembrance of the victims of political repression, Moscow’s Gulag Museum was reopened in new, much larger, premises. The old museum had existed since 2001 and was located among designer clothes shops on Ulitsa Petrovka. Its new location, albeit further out of the centre, seems more appropriate. The five-storey building has a whole range of items, including modern electronic displays, to educate people about the system of camps set up by Stalin… Read more »

Moscow Podvorye of the Troitse-Sergieva Lavra

  • 6 + 8 Ulitsa 2-y Troitsky Pereulok
  • Tsvetnoy Bulvar

The Moscow Podvorye of the Troitse-Sergieva Lavra is an embassy church for the famous Lavra in Sergiev Posad. Its origins go back to 1609 when Tsar Vasili Shuisky granted the lavra this land in the north of Moscow. The podvorye's main church is the Trinity Church which was built in 1696 and in form comprises a standard octagon-on-cube structure attached to a bell tower. Further back is the ornate St Sergius of Radonezh's Church which dates from the mid-18th century and also… Read more »

Moscow-Petushki Monument

  • Ploschad Borby
  • Dostoevskaya

Situated on Ploschad Borby are two unusual monuments dedicated to characters from the book 'Moscow-Petushki' (often published as 'Moscow to the End of the Line') by Venedikt Yerofeev.  One statue depicts the main character Venichka and the other depicts his girlfriend in Petushki.  The statues were unveiled in 2000.  Originally it was planned to place the statue of Venichka at Moscow's Kursky Railway Station (from where he set off on his journey to Petushki) and to place the other… Read more »

Viktor Vasnetsov House-Museum

  • 13 Pereulok Vasnetsova
  • Tsvetnoy Bulvar, Sukharevskaya
  • 10:00 - 17:00. Closed on Mondays, Tuesdays and the last Thursday of the month.

The beautiful Victor Vasnetsov House-Museum was opened in 1953 in the house where the artist Victor Vasnetsov lived from 1894 until his death in 1926. The house itself was built in 1894 based on plans and designs by the artist and as a consequence it is very decorative both inside and out. The first floor is occupied by the rooms of Vasnetsov and his family. Most of the furniture was also designed by Vasnetsov. The second floor comprises the artist's workshop where he created… Read more »

Around Marina Roscha Metro Station

Armenian Church Complex

  • Ulitsa Trifonovskaya
  • Marina Roscha, Dostoevskaya

The Armenian Church Complex is the official residence of the exarch (bishop) of the New-Nakhichevan and Russian Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church. The main feature of the complex is the cathedral which, as of 2013, is still under construction. The cathedral is being built in the traditional Armenian style and is 50 metres tall and topped with a dome which has a diameter of 21 metres. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Meschansky District Read more »

Holy Spirit Church in the former Lazarevskoe Cemetery

  • 12c1 Ulitsa Sovetskoy Armii
  • Marina Roscha

Located in Festivalny Park is the large classical style Holy Spirit Church which dates from the 1780s. Previously the church was surrounded by the Lazarevskoe Cemetery which was opened in 1758 for the poor. The church was closed in 1932 and the cemetery met the same fate in 1936. The former cemetery was turned into a park, originally known as the Feliks Dzerzhinsky Park and then the Marina Roscha Park. The church was returned to the Orthodox Church in 1991. ►sights by districts … Read more »

Jewish Museum and Tolerance Centre

  • 1A, 11 Ulitsa Obraztsova
  • Marina Roscha, Novoslobodskaya
  • 12:00 - 22:00 (Fridays: 10:00 - 15:00) . Closed on Saturdays and Jewish holidays.

The Jewish Museum and Tolerance Centre was opened in 2012  and is one of the most modern museums in Moscow with much of the information translated into English.  In detailing the history of Russian and Soviet Jewry it makes good use of computer and video technology, including using videos and holograms to recreate the life of shtetls of a bygone era.  Unlike most museums on Jewish history, the focus of this museum is more on Jewish life and traditions rather than on the Holocaust… Read more »

St Tryphon's Church at Naprudnoe

  • 38 Ulitsa Trifonovskaya
  • Marina Roscha, Rizhskaya

Standing next to a pond outside the Mikhail Vladimirsky Moscow Regional Research Clinical Institute is  the St Tryphon's Church at Naprudnoe; Naprudnoe being the name of the royal village which once stood here before it was incorporated into Russia. The church is very simple consisting of just a small pillar-less cubic structure with a single dome and a single apse, but it happens to be one of the oldest churches in the whole of Moscow.  Although there is some debate about the… Read more »

Around Prospekt Mira Metro Station

Apothecary's Garden of the Botanical Garden of Moscow State University

  • 26c1 Prospekt Mira (entrance through the shopping centre at 28 Prospekt Mira)
  • Sukharevskaya, Prospekt Mira
  • 10:00 - 19:00 from November to April; 10:00 - 21:00 from September to October and 10:00 - 22:00 from May to August. Open daily.

The Apothecary's Garden was founded in 1706 by Peter the Great to provide a source of herbs for medicinal use. It is believed that the tsar even planted three trees himself. The garden was purchased by the Moscow State University in 1805 when their original garden was closed down. Today the garden represents a beautiful and serene part of Moscow a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of the metropolis with over 2,000 types of plants, as well as koi carp and terrapins. … Read more »

Moscow Congressional Mosque

  • 7 Vypolzov Pereulok
  • Prospekt Mira

Moscow's main mosque is the Moscow Congressional Mosque which was built in 1904 using the funds of a Tatar merchant. The mosque remained open throughout the Soviet period and even avoided being demolished during the construction work for the 1980 Summer Olympics which were held in Moscow. More recently in 1996 the Russian Council of Muftis was established and is now based at the mosque. In 2005 large scale reconstruction and extension work was started which is hoped to be finished… Read more »

Olimpiysky Stadium

  • 16c1 Olimpiysky Prospekt
  • Prospekt Mira

The Olimpiysky or Olympic Stadium was opened in 1980 for the 1980 Summer Olympics which were held in Moscow. Next to the stadium is a separate swimming complex. For sporting events the stadium can hold up to 16,000 people but it can hold up to 25,000 people for concerts. Today the stadium is still used for sporting events as well as as a concert hall. In 2009 it was the venue of the Eurovision Song Contest. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Meschansky District Read more »

Philipp, Metropolitan of Moscow's Church in Meschanskaya Sloboda

  • 35 Ulitsa Gilyarovskogo
  • Prospekt Mira

The current version of the Philipp, Metropolitan of Moscow's Church was built in 1691 on the spot where in 1652 the relics of Philipp were returned to Moscow from the Solovetsky Islands for reburial in the Kremlin's Dormition Cathedral. In 1752 a bell tower and a refectory were built on. Between 1777 and 1788 the church was reconstructed in the classical style according to a plan by the architect Matvey Kazakov, under which a rotunda was added. The church was closed in 1939 and… Read more »

Silver Age Museum

  • 30 Prospekt Mira
  • Sukharevskaya, Prospekt Mira
  • 11:00 - 18:00 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and weekends; 13:00 - 20:00 on Thursdays and Fridays. Closed on Mondays.

The Silver Age Museum is dedicated to what is known as the silver age of Russian literature which took place in the late 19th and early 20th century. The museum was opened in 1999 in the modernist-style house where the poet and writer Valeri Bryusov lived between 1910 and 1924. Bryusov himself was a prominent member of the silver age and this museum details his life and work as well as the course of the silver age in general. The museum is run as a branch of the State Literature… Read more »

Uncle Styopa Monument

  • outside 1 Orlovo-Davydovsky Pereulok
  • Prospekt Mira

Standing outside the Traffic Police Department for the Moscow Region is a statue of the popular children's book character Uncle Styopa. Uncle Styopa was a tall and honest policeman created by the Soviet author and poet Sergei Mikhalkov. The monument was unveiled in 2008 and depicts Styopa in a modern uniform rescuing a bird from a set of traffic lights, which is a scene from one of books. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Meschansky District Read more »

Around Rizhskaya Metro Station

Monument to the Creators of the First Satellite

  • next to 92c3 Prospekt Mira
  • Rizhskaya

Standing outside the vestibule of Rizhskaya metro station is a nice Soviet-style statue of a man holding a model of Sputnik-1, the first artificial satellite to be launched into space.  The monument is  dedicated to the creators of the first satellite  and was unveiled in 1958 to mark the first anniversary of the historic launch which took place on 4 October 1957.  Sputnik-1 spent 92 days in space and in that time completed 1350 orbits of the Earth. ►sights by districts  ►sights… Read more »

Our Lady of the Sign Church in Pereyaslavskaya Sloboda

  • 17 2-y Krestovsky Pereulok
  • Rizhskaya

Situated between the Third Ring Road and the railway lines is the bright red and white Our Lady of the Sign Church, which is located in the area historically known as the Pereyaslavskaya Sloboda. The church was built between 1757 and 1766 in the baroque style, replacing an earlier wooden church. It was subsequently extended in 1888. The church was never closed during the Soviet period and many icons for other churches were transferred here. In 1997 a baptismal church in a similar… Read more »

Rizhsky Railway Station and Moscow Railway Museum

  • 1 Ploschad Rizhskogo Vokzala
  • Rizhskaya

Rizhsky Railway Station is one of Moscow's nine railway stations.  It was opened in 1901 and was originally known as Vindavsky Railway Station after the Latvian city of Venta which was then known as Vindava.  It was later renamed Baltiysky, after the Baltic, and the Rzhevsky, after the city of Rzhev, before finally becoming Rizhsky after the Latvian capital of Riga.  The city serves long distance trains heading to Riga (including the Latvia-Express) and to the Pskov Region.  In… Read more »

Around Sretensky Bulvar Metro Station

Dormition Church at Pechatniki

  • 3c4 Ulitsa Sretenka
  • Turgenevskaya, Tsvetnoy Bulvar

The Dormition Church located where Rozdestvensky Bulvar turns into Sretensky Bulvar is known as the Church at Pechatniki, as the area was previously known due to it being inhabited by people involved in the printing industry ('pechatniki'). The church was built in 1695 to replace an older version. It comprises a cube structure with a single dome attached to a bell tower. In the 1930s the church was closed and only consecrated once again in 1994. ►sights by districts  ►sights in… Read more »

Nadezhda Krupskaya Monument

  • Turgenevskaya, Sretensky Bulvar
  • Tsvetnoy Bulvar

At the end of Sretensky Bulvar is a statue of a young Nadezhda Krupskaya. Krupskaya is most famous for being the wife of Vladimir Lenin, although she was in her own right a prominent figure in the Bolshevik movement and subsequently the deputy commissar for Education from 1929 to 1939. This monument to her was unveiled in 1979 and is framed by two 10 metre bronze pillars. Read more »

Sretensky Monastery

  • 19 Ulitsa Bolshaya Lubyanka
  • Turgenevskaya, Tsvetnoy Bulvar

The Sretensky Monastery was founded in 1397 at the location where Grand Prince Vasili I met the Our Lady of Vladimir Icon when it was brought from Vladimir to Moscow to protect the city from Tamerlane who was heading for Moscow. The word 'sretenia' means meeting. When Tamerlane unexpectedly turned back the icon was credited with saving the city and the monastery was built in gratitude. In the 16th century the monastery was relocated to its present day location. In 1925 the… Read more »

Around Sukharevskaya Metro Station

Sheremetev Hospital

  • 5/2c1 Bolshaya Sukharevskaya Ploschad
  • Sukharevskaya

The grand building on Bolshaya Sukharevskaya Ploschad is now the Nikolai Sklifosovsky Moscow City First Aid Scientific Research Institute. The hospital was founded in 1803 using the charitable donations of Count Nikolai Sheremetev and it was the first hospital to provide services to the poor. The hospital was later used to treat soldiers of the Napoleonic Wars, the Russo-Japanese War and the Second World War. It became a scientific research institute in 1923. The classical-style… Read more »

Trinity Church in Listi

  • 27/29c3 Ulitsa Sretenka
  • Sukharevskaya

The Trinity Church in Listi also gets its name from the printing industry as the workers here were involved in making prints which were known as 'listi'. The church dates from 1661 and was consecrated by Patriarch Nikon. The church was extended in the 17th and 18th centuries, gaining a refectory and a bell tower. After the church was closed in the 1930s, the bell tower and the church's domes were removed, however they have since been rebuilt after the church was reopened in 1991. … Read more »

Around Trubnaya Metro Station

Bogoroditse-Rozhdestvensky Convent

  • 20 Ulitsa Rozhdestvenka
  • Tsvetnoy Bulvar

Situated on the corner of Ulitsa Rozhdestvenka and Rozhdestvensky Bulvar is the Bogoroditse-Rozhdestvensky Convent (Rozhdestvensky Convent) dedicated to the Nativity (Rozhdestvo) of the Virgin Mary (Bogoroditsa). It is traditionally considered to have been founded in the 1386 by Princess Maria Andreevna of Serpukhov who became a nun and died at the convent in 1389. Many other royal ladies took the veil at the convent, not all of them willingly. Solomnia Saburova, the first wife of… Read more »

Moscow Nikulin Circus on Tsvetnoy Bulvar

  • 12 Tsvetnoy Bulvar
  • Tsvetnoy Bulvar

The oldest and most popular circus in Moscow is the circus on Tsvetnoy Bulvar. It was first opened in 1880 featuring gymnasts, clowns and animals. One of the most famous actors and clowns to work at the circus was the clown and actor Yuri Nikulin who became the circus' director in 1982. The circus is now named in memory of Nikulin who died in 1997 and a statue of him has been placed outside. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Meschansky District Read more »

Sadunovsky Banya

  • 14c3-7 Ulitsa Neglinnaya
  • Kuznetsky Most, Tsvetnoy Bulvar

Experiencing a Russian banya (steam bath) is certainly worth doing as a real Russian experience. If you choose to do it in style the Sadunovsky Baths is the place for you. Opened in 1808, the Sadunovsky Baths are the oldest and most prestigious public baths in Moscow, and as you can expect that also means they are the most expensive. Inside, the premises are luxuriously decorated (although the men's section is more impressive than the women's section) and feature a full-size… Read more »

St Nicholas' Church of the Bell Ringers

  • 15 Ulitsa Rozhdestvenka
  • Tsvetnoy Bulvar

St Nicholas' Church at Zvonary gets its name as it is located in what was once Zvonarskaya Sloboda, which was a special settlement for bell-ringers ('zvonary') of the Ivan the Great Bell Tower in the Kremlin. Although there has been a church here since the times of Ivan the Terrible, the current version dates from between 1780 and 1781. It was built in the baroque style according to a design by the architect Karl Blank. In the 1930s the church was closed and subsequently used as a… Read more »

Tsvetnoy Bulvar

  • Tsvetnoy Bulvar
  • Tsvetnoy Bulvar

Tsvetnoy Bulvar, which translates as Flower Boulevard, does not form part of the boulevard ring but runs north from it up to the Garden Ring. It is located where the Neglinnaya River once flowed before being diverted underground. The boulevard starts at Trubnaya Ploschad where there is a tall column topped with a statue of St George slaying the dragon. The monument is dedicated to members of the police force who have been killed fulfilling their duties. Further up the boulevard is… Read more »