Sights of Pereslavl-Zalessky

Around Ulitsa Gagarina

Forty Martyrs of Sebaste Church

  • 165 Ulitsa Levaya Naverezhnaya

Pereslavl-Zalessky's Forty Martyrs of Sebaste Church is located in one of the most picturesque spots of the city where the River Trubezh flows into Lake Plescheevo. It was built in 1775 in the baroque style replacing two earlier wooden churches which stood here. In 1919 a fire damaged its frescoes and the church was closed down in the 1930s. It was only reopened in 1996 after undergoing restoration work. Read more »

Nikolsky Convent

  • 43 Ulitsa Gagarina

The Nikolsky Convent was founded in approximately 1350 as a monastery by St Dmitry of Prilutsk but this was destroyed in 1382 when Tokhtamysh led his Tatar army on a punitive campaign against Rus. It was later refounded just before the Time of Troubles when it was once more destroyed, only to be refounded yet again in 1613.  In 1680 work began on the first stone building in the monastery - St Nicholas' Cathedral - which was only completed in 1721. The remainder of the monastery's… Read more »

Around Ulitsa Moskovskaya

Feodorovsky Convent

  • 85 Ulitsa Moskovskaya

  The Feodorovsky Convent was founded in 1304 as a monastery to commemorate a battle fought here earlier in the year between the principalities of Moscow and Tver for control of Pereslavl-Zalessky. Since the battle was fought on the feast day of St Theodore Stratelates, the monastery was dedicated in honour of him. During the reign of Ivan the Terrible the monastery benefited from gifts from the tsar and a new cathedral was built here out of stone to celebrate the birth of Ivan's… Read more »

Goritsky Uspensky Monastery (Pereslavl-Zalessky State Historical, Architectural and Art Museum Reserve)

  • 4 Muzeyny Pereulok
  • 10:00 - 18:00 (until 17:00 from October to May). Closed on Mondays.

Pereslavl-Zalessky's Goritsky Uspensky Monastery was founded in the beginning of the 14th century during the reign of Grand Prince Ivan Kalita. Despite being a rich and importance monastery in its time, much of the history of the monastery was lost forever after the monastery's archive was destroyed by fire in 1722. It is known that St Dmitry of Priluki and St Daniel (Daniil) of Pereslavl-Zalessky were once monks at the monastery before going on to found new monasteries. In 1744… Read more »

Meeting of the Lord Church

  • 11 Ulitsa Moskovskaya

Standing on the intersection of Ulitsa Moskovskaya and Ulitsa Podgornaya, in between three monasteries, is the Meeting of the Lord Church. It dates from 1785 and is the traditional structure of a cubic building attached to a bell tower via a closed vestibule. In the 1930s the church was closed and only reopened for worship in the 1980s. Read more »

Svyato-Troitsky Danilov Monastery

  • 7 Ulitsa Lugovaya

The Svyato-Troitsky Danilov Monastery was founded in 1508 by the monk Daniil who was later canonised as St Daniel (Daniil) of Pereslavl-Zalessky. Permission was granted to found the monastery by Grand Prince Vasily III who later donated funds to build the first stone buildings at the monastery in 1530 to commemorate the birth of his long awaited heir - the future Ivan the Terrible. During the Time of Troubles the monastery suffered at the hand of Polish and Lithuanian… Read more »

Around Ulitsa Svobody and Ulitsa Plescheevskaya

Intercession Church

  • 13A Ulitsa Plescheevskaya

The Intercession Church was built in the baroque style in 1789 as a standard octagon-on-cube structure. Later a bell tower and a closed vestibule were added on. In years gone by the church was surrounded by a busy market place and was part of a church ensemble, but its neighbouring church no longer survives. The church was not closed during the Soviet period and some relics from other churches in the city which were closed down were brought here. Read more »

St Simeon Stylites' Church

  • 16 Ulitsa Rostovskaya

One of the finest examples of baroque church architecture in Pereslavl-Zalessky is St Simeon Stylites' Church which dates from 1771. In style it is similar to the city's Forty Martyrs of Sebaste Church which was built around the same time. Its most striking feature is the amount of windows it has, each with a decorative frame. In 1929 the church was banned from ringing its bells and then eventually completely closed. It was originally used as a warehouse before becoming a theatre… Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument

  • outside 2 Ulits Komsomolskaya

Located just to the south of Ulitsa Svobody is Komsomolskaya Ploschad (Komsomol Square). It is here outside the former assembly building that you can find Pereslavl-Zalessky's statue of Lenin. Out of the thousands of Lenin statues all over Russia, Pereslavl-Zalessky's has two interesting features. Firstly it was one of the earliest to be erected - in 1929 just five years after Lenin's death. Secondly it was ordered by local people themselves. You could even include a third point if… Read more »

In the Historical Centre (Ulitsa Sovetskaya)

Aleksandr Nevsky Monument

  • outside 3 Krasnaya Ploschad

Grand Prince Aleksandr Nevsky, who is one of Russia's most celebrated heroes and recognised as a saint by the Russian Orthodox Church, was born in Pereslavl-Zalessky in 1220. He was also most likely baptised in the city's Transfiguration of the Saviour Cathedral and in commemoration of this link, a bust of him son was unveiled outside in 1958. The features of Nevsky are based on the actor Nikolai Cherkasov who played Nevsky in Sergey Eyzenshtein's famous film. Read more »

Earthen Mounds

  • Around Ulitsa Sovetskaya

When Yury Dolgoruky founded Pereslavl-Zalessky in 1152 he ordered the construction of a kremlin which was the standard arrangement for cities of this era. Earthen mounds were created upon which the wooden kremlin was constructed. Over the next centuries the wooden fortress was burned down and rebuilt several times. The final version came in the mid-17th century after the previous fortress was destroyed during the Time of Troubles. This in turn was demolished in 1759 as it had… Read more »

Former Sretensky Novodevichy Convent

  • 12 Ulitsa Sovetskaya

The Sretensky Novodevichy Convent was founded in 1659 within Pereslavl-Zalessky's Kremlin, but its first churches built out of stone date in the mid-18th century. In 1764 the convent was dissolved and its two churches became parish churches until they too were closed by the Bolsheviks after the Revolution, but saved from demolition due to their historical value. The churches were only reopened for worship after the fall of the Soviet Union. Our Lady of Vladimir Cathedral The Our… Read more »

Iron Museum

  • 11 Ulitsa Sovetskaya
  • 10:00 - 18:00

All over Russia you can occasionally find curious museums dedicated to just one specific item. In 2002 a local antique dealer and entrepreneur came up with the idea to open in Pereslavl-Zalessky a museum entirely devoted to irons. The museum's displays various types of irons which were either purchased at markets or even retrieved from dumps. Perhaps surprising to some, the museum became a highlight of Pereslavl-Zalessky and soon even started to make a profit for its owner, who… Read more »

Metropolitan Peter's Church

  • 6 Ulitsa Sovetskaya

Located immediately next to the churches of the former Sretensky Novodevichy Convent is Metropolitan Peter's Church which pre-dates both of its neighbours and the convent itself. It was built in approximately 1585 making it the second oldest surviving church in the city. The church is what is known as a tent church due to its form and is a rather rare monument. In 1821 its original wooden bell tower was replaced with a small stone version.  The church was closed during the Soviet… Read more »

Museum of Craftiness and Wit

  • 16Б Ulitsa Sovetskaya
  • 10:00 - 18:00

Formerly known as the Handicraft Museum, the Museum of Craftiness and Wit is found with the kremlin mound and exhibits various examples of everyday items which were once used by peasants. This includes various pieces of handicraft as well as furniture, tools and utensils. Read more »

Transfiguration of the Saviour Cathedral

  • 3 Krasnaya Ploschad

The main cathedral in Pereslavl-Zalessky is the simple but beautiful Transfiguration of the Saviour Cathedral. The single-domed, four-pillar structure was built between 1152 and 1157, making it one of the oldest surviving white stone buildings in Russia.  The cathedral's interior was decorated with frescos in the 12th century but these have not survived, although fragments are now on display in Moscow's State Historical Museum. Now the interior of the church is completely plain… Read more »

In the North of the City

Nativity of Virgin Mary Church

  • Gorodische village

Just beyond the Kleschin Gorodische after which the Gorodische village gets its name is the pretty Nativity of Virgin Mary Church which was built between 1791 and 1795 on the site of two older wooden churches. The church consists of a cube structure with five small domes attached to a bell tower. Read more »

Nikitsky Monastery

  • Ulitsa Nikitskaya Sloboda

The Nikitsky Monastery was founded in the 12th or possibly even the 11th century. Although it consisted only of wooden buildings it became famous because of the holy feats of a hermit there who was later canonised as St Nikita the Stylite. Having led a sinful youth, Nikita became a monk at the Nikitsky Monastery. However this was not enough for Nikita who decided to chain himself to a pillar where he would remain in prayer. Nikita remained on his pillar until he was killed in 1186… Read more »

The Blue Stone and Kleschin Gorodische

  • Gorodische village

One of the more curious sights of Pereslavl-Zalessky is the 12-tonne stone known as the Blue Stone dating from the time when paganism was the popular religion. It is called the Blue Stone due to the colour its turns after rain. The stone was worshipped as an idol by both the native Merya people and the Slavic pagans but this all changed with the enforcement of Orthodoxy when the stone was buried. Years of erosion once again brought the stone to light and in 1788 it was decided to… Read more »

In Veskovo (Ulitsa Podgornaya)

Money Museum

  • 2Б Ulitsa Petra I, Veskovo
  • 11:00 - 18:00

Another of Pereslavl-Zalessky's museums with a unique display is the Money Museum which was opened in 2010 to display one man's collection of old money. On display are coins of ancient Greece, Byzantium, mediaeval Europe, Rus and coins and banknotes of the Russian Empire. In addition you can also see some examples of Russian and European medals. Read more »

Peter the Great's Boat Museum-Estate

  • Veskovo village
  • 10:00 - 17:00 (until 18:00 May to September). Closed on Mondays.

Peter the Great's Boat Museum-Estate was founded in 1803 on Gremyach hill around the wooden boat Fortuna, which was once part of Peter the Great's play fleet on Lake Plescheevo. The days the young tsar spent with his toy fleet in Pereslavl-Zalessky between 1689 and 1692 instilled in him a love of all things naval which led to him creating Russia's first fleet and changing the course of Russian history. As well as the Fortuna, helms, masts and anchors from other boats were also… Read more »

Teapot Museum

  • Veskovo village
  • 10:00 - 18:00. Visits need to be prearranged on weekdays.

Pereslavl-Zalessky has several museums dedicated to just one item, such as the Teapot Museum which was opened in 2003 by the man behind the Iron Museum. It has a collection of a whole range of teapots made out of various metals and of various ages. In addition the museum also details the tradition and rituals of tea-drinking in Russia. Read more »