Located immediately next to the churches of the former Sretensky Novodevichy Convent is Metropolitan Peter's Church which pre-dates both of its neighbours and the convent itself. It was built in approximately 1585 making it the second oldest surviving church in the city. The church is what is known as a tent church due to its form and is a rather rare monument. In 1821 its original wooden bell tower was replaced with a small stone version. The church was closed during the Soviet period and although it has since been returned to the Orthodox Church it has not been reopened due to its need for restoration work.
|Location||6 Ulitsa Sovetskaya|