The Sretensky Novodevichy Convent was founded in 1659 within Pereslavl-Zalessky's Kremlin, but its first churches built out of stone date in the mid-18th century. In 1764 the convent was dissolved and its two churches became parish churches until they too were closed by the Bolsheviks after the Revolution, but saved from demolition due to their historical value. The churches were only reopened for worship after the fall of the Soviet Union.
Our Lady of Vladimir Cathedral
The Our Lady of Vladimir Cathedral was the convent's main cathedral and built in the 1740s. In 1929 the cathedral was closed and later used as a sports hall and then a bread factory, before being reopened in 1992. It has since been restored with its previously white walls being repainted red and its blue domes green in the same style as its neighbour.
St Aleksandr Nevsky's Church
St Aleksandr Nevsky's Church was built at the same time as its neighbour and is reminiscent in design although it is to a slightly smaller scale. It shared the same fate as the Our Lady of Vladimir Cathedral but was used as a library before becoming a bread factory. It was reopened in 1998.
|Location||12 Ulitsa Sovetskaya|