When Yury Dolgoruky founded Pereslavl-Zalessky in 1152 he ordered the construction of a kremlin which was the standard arrangement for cities of this era. Earthen mounds were created upon which the wooden kremlin was constructed. Over the next centuries the wooden fortress was burned down and rebuilt several times. The final version came in the mid-17th century after the previous fortress was destroyed during the Time of Troubles. This in turn was demolished in 1759 as it had fallen into disrepair and become obsolete. Today all that remains are the earthen mounds which surround the historical centre of the city.
|Location||Around Ulitsa Sovetskaya|