Sights of Ivanovo

Around Prospekt Lenina

Dmitri Burylin Industry and Culture Museum

  • 6/40 Ulitsa Batyrina
  • 11:00 - 17:00. Closed on Mondays and the last Friday of the month.

  The Industry and Culture Museum was originally opened in 1914 as the Museum of Rarities and Antiquities by the industrialist Dmitri Burylin, displaying items he had collected himself. Now the museum has several halls dedicated to the history and culture of Ivanovo and beyond. The Library of Dmitri Burylin has exhibitions on the museum's fund of books. The Arsenal displays a selection of weapons from various ages. The European Collection has information on the history and culture… Read more »

Dormition Church

  • 7 Ulitsa Frunze

    In the north of Ivanovo, Ulitsa Lenina turns into Ulitsa Frunze and Uspensky Gardens are located at the point this happens. Standing inside the gardens is the pretty wooden Dormition Church. It is believed that the first wooden church was built here, when the gardens were still a cemetery, in 1817 and over the years the church has been reconstructed several times. The church has a single dome and triangular roofs with a bell tower standing over its entrance. In 1935 the church… Read more »

Mikhail Frunze Monument

  • next to 42 Prospekt Lenina

  The revolutionary Mikhail Frunze has a special connection with Ivanovo as he was involved in the 72-day strike in Ivanovo-Voznesensk in 1905 and a member of its soviet. After the 1917 Revolution Frunze served as the first chairman of the Ivanovo-Voznesensk governorate committee of the Communist Party and became one of the most senior Soviet military leaders. This monument to him was unveiled in 1957. Read more »

Monument to the Warriors of the 1905 Revolution in Ivanovo

  • Ploschad Revolyutsi

  Situated on Ploschad Revolyutsi is a very Soviet-style monument dedicated to events of the 1905 Revolution. The textile workers of Ivanovo-Voznesensk played a major role in that revolution by forming the first ever soviet (council) of worker deputies in Russia. The monument depicts a worker lifting a banner which had fallen from the hands of his comrade who is lying on the floor. It was unveiled in 1975 on the 70th anniversary of the 1905 Revolution and recently restored in 2005… Read more »

Museum of Art of the Ivanovo Region

  • 33 Prospekt Lenina
  • 11:00 - 18:00. Closed on Tuesdays and the first Monday of the month.

  Located in a former school is the Museum of Art of the Ivanovo Region which was opened in 1960. The museum's first collection was comprised of works of art collected by Dmitri Burylin and other factory owners and was originally housed in his Museum of Rarities and Antiquities. On display are paintings, sculptures and rare books from both Western Europe and Russia as well as cultural items from the ancient world. Read more »

Museum of Ivanovo Chintz

  • 11/42 Ulitsa Batyrina
  • 11:00 - 17:00. Closed on Mondays and the last Friday of the month.

  The Museum of Ivanovo Chintz is located in what was once the mansion of its founder - the famous industrialist from Ivanovo Dmitri Burylin. Chintz is a type of cloth printed with patterns of various colours which Ivanovo became famous for making. This museum tells of the development of the whole textile trade in Ivanovo from its very beginnings to the present day. On display are some examples of the cloth produced as well as the tools and equipment used to make it. The museum is… Read more »

Olga Genkina Monument

  • Ploschad Vokzalnaya

  If you arrive in Moscow by train, the first monument you will see is the giant bust of Olga Genkina, which stands in the square immediately opposite the railway station. Olga Genkina was a member of the Russian Social Democrat Party. In 1905 the party sent her to Ivanovo-Voznesensk with a suitcase of weapons. Upon arrival she was arrested and the weapons were found. However whilst being held in custody, members of the far-right Black Hundreds group who had learned of the arrest… Read more »

St George’s Church

  • Ploschad 40-letia Pobedy

  Standing on Ploschad 40-letia Pobedy (40th Anniversary of Victory Square) is St George's Church. Work on the church was started in 2005 on the 60th anniversary of the end of the Second World War and was completed two years later in 2007. In form it represents a tall white gable church with a single golden dome. The church also stands as a memorial to those who fell in the Second World War. Read more »

Trinity Church

  • 6 Ulitsa Pochtovaya

  Standing just off Ploschad Pushkina (Pushkin Square) is the Trinity Church. It was built between 2000 and 2007 as a copy of the Trinity Church which stands in the Troitse-Sergieva Lavra in Sergiev Posad. Previously the Pokrovsky Monastery stood here until it was closed in 1764. After this a new stone Trinity Church was built and consecrated in 1819. This church stood here up until 1931 when it was destroyed by the Soviets. Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument

  • Ploschad Lenina (outside 92 Prospekt Lenina)

  Ivanovo's Lenin monument is located on Ploschad Lenin (Lenin Square), as is to be expected, which is located far up on Prospekt Lenina north of the River Uvod. This monument was unveiled in 1956 and depicts Lenin standing on a pedestal in his usual pose holding the lapel of his long coat. It stands at 4.5 metres tall and replaced an earlier version which was deemed too small and dwarfed by the surrounding buildings. Read more »

Yakov Garelin Monument

  • Ploschad Revolyutsi

  Yakov Garelin was born in 1820 in the village of Ivanovo and went on to become a successful factory owner in the textile trade. From 1877 to 1886 Garelin served as the major of Ivanovo-Voznesensk. Garelin was also known as a philanthropist who donated money to open and support hospitals, public libraries and museums. Garelin died in 1890 in Ivanovo-Voznesensk and in his will he left a large part of his fortune to help the poor in the city. This monument to him was unveiled in… Read more »

Around Ulitsa 10 Avgusta and Ulitsa Lezhnevskaya

Arkadi Severny Monument

  • next to 34 Ulitsa 10 Avgusta

  Arkadi Severny was a Soviet bard who was born in Ivanovo in 1939. Severny became famous in the 1960s for his songs which were often of a dissident and underground nature inspired by prison songs. Often his songs escaped the Soviet censor and home-made recordings were passed around person to person. This unusual monument to him was unveiled in 2010 and depicts him sat at a desk smoking a cigarette. Read more »

Bubnov Family House

  • 45/43 Ulitsa III Internatsionala
  • 11:00 - 17:00. Closed on Mondays and the last Friday of the month.

    Sergey Bubnov was a 19th century merchant from Ivanovo-Voznesensk and later a member of the city's administration. His son Andrey went on to became a Bolshevik revolutionary and People's Commissar for Education, before he was executed during the Great Purge in 1938. In 1958 he was posthumously rehabilitated. This museum dedicated to the Bubnov family is located in the family's mansion which dates from 1860. Inside the house's interior of a typical late 19th century - early… Read more »

Our Lady of Vladimir Church

  • 120 Ulitsa Lezhnevskaya

    The Our Lady of Vladimir Church was built between 1902 and 1904 outside of the historical centre of Ivanovo. In form it is a red-brick church with three apses and topped with five black domes. In 1916 the church and its community were converted into a monastery which existed up until 1927 when the convent was closed so that its buildings could be used as barracks for a flight squadron. The church was eventually returned to the Orthodox Church in 1993 and underwent… Read more »

Schudrovsky Chamber

  • 36A Ulitsa 10 Avgusta

  The Schudrovsky Chamber is the oldest stone civilian building in Ivanovo and one of the city's most famous symbols. It dates from the end of the 17th century and inside it has two rooms. Originally it was used as a local administrative building for the village of Ivanovo. In the late 18th century it became the property of a rich peasant and industrialist called Osip Schudrov after whom it gets its current name. The building is now owned by the Dmitri Burylin Ivanovo State… Read more »

St Elijah the Prophet’s Church

  • 19A Ulitsa Koltsova

    One of the prettiest churches in Ivanovo is the St Elijah the Prophet Church which was built between 1838 and 1842. The church was built in the classical style and is rather unusual in form. On top of the main part of the building there is a tall rotund topped with a dome on which five smaller domes stand. Columns also decorate the façade of the building. During the Soviet years the church was closed and used as an archive. It was only reopened in 1989. Read more »

Svyato-Uspensky Monastery

  • 76 Ulitsa Smirnova

    The Svyato-Uspensky Monastery was founded rather recently in 1998 although it incorporated the Dormition Church which dates from 1843. The church was built using the funds of a local factory owner and consists of a standard cube building with five golden domes. Later a large refectory and a side-altar were built onto the church. The church was closed in the Soviet era and only returned to the Orthodox Church in 1995. Since the establishment of the monastery, the Tsarist… Read more »

Transfiguration of the Saviour Eparchial Cathedral

  • 44 Ulitsa Kolotilova

  The pretty Transfiguration of the Saviour Cathedral is the eparchial cathedral for the Ivanovo Metropolitanate. Work started on the cathedral in 1889 and was funded by a local factory owner. It was built in the Russian revival style and consecrated in 1893. The cathedral comprises a large elaborately decorated building topped with five small domes on tall tholobates. Attached to the front of the cathedral is a bell tower and the whole complex is surrounded by fencing with gates… Read more »

Around Ulitsa Fridrikha Engelsa

Fyodor Afanasiev Monument

  • intersection of Ulitsa Fridrikha Engelsa and Ulitsa Sadovaya

  Fyodor Afanasiev was a textile worker and an active social-democrat activist. In 1904 Afanasiev settled in Ivanovo-Voznesensk and remained involved in revolutionary activity in the city under his pseudonym Otets (father). During the 1905 Revolution, Afanasiev joined the strikes in Ivanovo-Voznesensk. On 22 October 1905 he was killed at a meeting when Cossacks opened fire. Read more »

Monument to Heroes of the Frontline and Home Front

  • next to 58 Ulitsa Fridrikha Engelsa

  Located in a small park on Ulitsa Fridrikha Engelsa just before its crosses the River Uvod is a Second World War memorial and eternal flame dedicated to the heroes of the frontline and the home front. Standing on top of a tall pillar is a statue of a victorious solder holding a gun. Next to this at ground level are statues of two women representing the homefront. They are holding material which symbolises Ivanovo turning its textile industry over to military needs during the war… Read more »

Museum of the First Soviet

  • 27 Ulitsa Sovetskaya
  • 11:00 - 17:00. Closed on Mondays and the last Friday of the month.

    The Museum of the First Soviet is located in the local government building where Russia's first soviet of worker deputies met in 1905. After the Russian Revolution the building was used by various organisations and then as housing until 1964 when it was handed over to the local administration which opened the Museum of the First Soviet here in 1967. Having been renovated in 2005, it aims to inform visitors of the events of the 1905 Revolution which had an effect not just on… Read more »

Our Lady of Kazan Church

  • 41 Ulitsa Fridrikha Engelsa

  The Our Lady of Kazan Church was originally built in 1810 as a two-storey prayer house for an Old-Believers community of factory workers. In 1907 this building was converted into a church and its five black domes were added. Further construction work took place in 1910 when walls and a gate were built around the church and a belfry was added. In 1930 the church was closed and used as housing. In 1991 it was transferred to the Orthodox Church, reconstructed and eventually reopened… Read more »

Red Talka Memorial

  • Ulitsa Svobody (between River Talka and Ulitsa Shuvandivoy)

    The Red Talka Memorial was opened in 1975 in memory of the revolutionary events of 1905 when textile workers rose up and set up the first soviet of worker deputies in the country. Meetings were held where the memorial is now located. It features an obelisk and an Alley of Heroes with 16 busts of revolutionaries active in Ivanovo-Voznesensk during these years. Also included is a sculpture depicting the death of Fyodor Afansieva, who was killed here when Cossacks began firing at… Read more »

Svyato-Vvedensky Convent

  • 23 Ulitsa Bazisnaya

  Although the Svyato-Vvedensky Convent is rather young having been founded 1991, its main church - the Presentation of Virgin Mary Church - was built between 1901 and 1907 in the Russian revival style with five black domes. The church was closed in the Soviet period and used as an archive for the KGB. It was only returned to the Orthodox Church in 1989 after a group of four women went on a 16-day hunger strike. In 1991 a decision was taken to establish the Svyato-Vvedensky Convent… Read more »

Village of Novo-Talitsy

Tsvetaev Family House-Museum

  • 63 Ulitsa Tsvetaeva, village (selo) of Novo-Talitsy
  • 11:00 - 17:00. Closed on Mondays.

  The Tsvetatev Family House-Museum is located in the wooden house where the Tsvetatev family lived from 1853 to 1928. The first member of the family to live here was Vladimir Tsvataev a priest who had four sons, all of whom grew up here. After Vladimir Tsvetaev's death the house was inherited by his eldest son Pyotr. Another son called Ivan was the father of the famous 20th century poet Marina Tsvetaeva. Inside personal items of the family are on display. Read more »