Sights of Tambov

Around the City

Art Gallery of the Tambov Region

  • 97 Ulitsa Sovetskaya
  • 10:00 - 18:00. Closed Tuesdays.

Located just outside the City Park of Culture and Rest is Tambov's Art Gallery. The gallery was established in 1961 although since the building's creation in 1892 it has held an art gallery albeit originally as a department of the governorate museum. The top floor of the gallery houses temporary exhibitions while the ground floor holds the permanent one which includes departments devoted to Russian, European and Soviet art. Read more »

Catholic Church

  • 14 Ulitsa Kronshtadtskaya

Tambov's Roman Catholic Church is dedicated to the Feast of the Cross and was built in the gothic revival style between 1898 and 1903 as a place of worship for Tambov's Catholic community, which at the time numbered around 700. In 1935 the church was closed and subsequently used as a factory workshop during which time it was heavily damaged. The church was returned to the Catholic Church in 1997 and is now part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of St Clement at Saratov. Outside the… Read more »


  • Between Naberezhnaya Ulitsa and River Tsna

Undoubtedly the most beautiful part of Tambov is the embankment of the River Tsna which runs from behind Kronshtadtskaya Ploschad right up the City Park. The embankment has been cultivated into a pretty park, made all the more beautiful with fun flower arrangements, fountains in the river and various monuments, including one to saints Peter and Fevronia, the Russian patron saints of families and marriage. The embankment is also complimented by the natural surroundings of the other… Read more »

Georgi Chicherin House-Museum

  • 63 Ulitsa Sovetskaya
  • 10:00 – 18:00. Closed Mondays and the last Friday of the month.

Georgi Chicherin was born in 1872 in the Tambov Governorate and went on to become the first Soviet peoples’ commissar for foreign affairs. Chicherin served as Trotsky’s deputy during the Brest-Litovsk negotiations and made a substantial contribution in gaining foreign recognition for the Soviet Union. This museum is located in a 19th century wooden city estate house, which was owned by the Chicherin family. Inside the museum displays information on the Chicherin family and on… Read more »

Intercession Church

  • 2 Kronshtadtskaya Ploschad

Standing on a hill next to the embankment is the pretty blue Intercession Church. The church dates from 1763 and was built in the hexagon-on-cube form with a small bell tower attached via a closed vestibule. In 1918 the church was closed and used for accommodation and as a storeroom. In 1943 the church was reopened. Between 1943 and 1988, the Intercession Church was the only functioning church in Tambov. Read more »

Kazansky Monastery

  • 3 Ulitsa Gorkogo

According to legend the Kazansky Monastery was founded in 1670 and in 1758 it became the residence for the bishop of Tambov; the Tambov Eparchy having been created in the same year. In 1918 the monastery was closed and later its necropolis and bell tower were destroyed. It was eventually reopened as a monastery in 1992. Our Lady of Kazan Cathedral The monastery's main cathedral is the blue Our Lady of Kazan Cathedral, which was built between 1791 and 1796. Inside the cathedral… Read more »

Regional Museum of the Tambov Region

  • 3 Ulitsa Derzhavinskaya
  • 10:00 - 17:00. Closed Mondays and the last Friday of the month.

Tambov's Regional Museum was founded in 1879 to mark the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Tambov Viceroyalty. Now the museum is located in the former House of Political Enlightenment - a classical style building dating from the 1950s. The museum has three floors and details the history, nature and geology of Tambov lands. One hall is dedicated to the events of the famous Tambov Rebellion which took place during the Russian Civil War. Read more »

Russian Muzhik Monument

  • Kronshtadtskaya Ploschad

Among the gardens known as Sochi Park off Kronshtadtskaya Ploschad stands a nice and unusual monument dedicated to the Russian muzhik - a traditional Russian peasant man. The monument was unveiled in 2007 and depicts a muzhik standing with a plough which represents the peasants' hard-work. Around the muzhik's neck hangs a crucifix symbolising the peasant's strong Orthodox faith, while at his feet are political banners. Read more »

Sergey Rakhmaninov Monument

  • Ulitsa S Rakhmaninova

Behind Kazansky Monastery, overlooking the stage set up on the embankment, is a monument to the famous Russian composer Sergey Rakhmaninov. Sergey Rakhmaninov has a connection to Tambov as his family originated from the Tambov Governorate and owned the Ivanovka estate in the governorate which Rakhmaninov often stayed at. Rakhmaninov also visited Tambov and several buildings in the city bear plaques noting their connection with the composer. This monument to him was unveiled in 2006… Read more »

Transfiguration of the Saviour Eparchial Cathedral

  • 2 Sobornaya Ploschad

The oldest church in Tambov and one of the city's most famous sights is the Transfiguration of the Saviour Eparchial Church. Work was started on its construction at the end of the 17th century and after several delays was only completed at the end of the 18th century. The cathedral was built in the baroque style and in form comprises a cube structure topped with five domes and with an extended vestibule. The cathedral was closed in 1929 and its bell tower was demolished. It later… Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument

  • Ploschad Lenina

The intersection of Ulitsa Internatsionalnaya and Ulitsa Karla Marksa is marked by Ploschad Lenina (Lenin Square) and the city's Lenin monument has been located here since it was unveiled in 1964. Tambov's Lenin statue has him striking a rather dramatic pose (perhaps inspired by the neighbouring Drama Theatre) as if he is halfway through a passionate speech. Read more »

Voznesensky Convent

  • 3 Ulitsa Gorkogo

According to legend the Voznesensky Convent was founded in 1690 but later destroyed by fire in 1724. It was rebuilt in 1764 on the same location. In 1918 the convent was closed and its 18th century Ascension Cathedral was destroyed along with its bell tower. In 1988 the territory was returned to the Orthodox Church which set about reopening the convent. Today the convent’s only surviving original church is the pretty ‘Joy of All Who Sorrow’ Icon Church which was built between 1798… Read more »

War Memorial and Eternal Flame

  • Sobornaya Ploschad

Just in front of the Transfiguration of the Saviour Cathedral is an interesting monument dedicated to the people of Tambov who lost their lives during the Second World War. It was established in 1970 and consists of a massive concrete ring with an eternal flame located inside. The inner side of the ring is decorated with engravings of the faces of soldiers, partisans and ordinary citizens as well as commemorative inscriptions. Read more »

Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya Monument

  • Skver Zoi Kosmodemyanskoy (Ulitsa Sovetskaya)

Zoya Kosmodeyanskaya was a young partisan girl who was originally from a village in the Tambov Governorate. During the Second World War Kosmodemyanskaya volunteered to serve in a partisan unit operating in the Moscow Region. In 1941 she was captured by the Nazis attempting to burn down a house. She was subsequently interrogated and hanged, giving an inspiring speech from the gallows and stating "You can't hang us all". Her story was published in Pravda in 1942 and she since… Read more »