The oldest church in Tambov and one of the city's most famous sights is the Transfiguration of the Saviour Eparchial Church. Work was started on its construction at the end of the 17th century and after several delays was only completed at the end of the 18th century. The cathedral was built in the baroque style and in form comprises a cube structure topped with five domes and with an extended vestibule. The cathedral was closed in 1929 and its bell tower was demolished. It later held a museum until it was returned to the Orthodox Church in 1993. Since then it has served as the eparchial cathedral of the Tambov and Michurinsk Eparchy. Currently (2012) the cathedral's bell tower is in the process of being rebuilt.
|Location||2 Sobornaya Ploschad|