If you don’t have much time to visit the whole Golden Ring route (which can actually take up to 14 days) we have prepared for you a trip which covers the pearls of the route and two of the most important cities of mediaeval Russia - Vladimir and Suzdal. Both of these cities boast sights listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List which are included in the excursions.
During a walking excursion around Vladimir you will see the 12th century white stone monuments of the Golden Gate, St Demetrius’ Cathedral, and the Dormition Cathedral with frescoes by the great 15th century Russian icon-painter Andrey Rublev. The tour also includes a visit to the military-historical exposition in the Golden Gate. In Suzdal the sightseeing tour will cover the Suzdal Kremlin and Spaso-Yevfimiev Monastery. The tour also includes visits to the white stone Nativity Cathedral, the "Golden Storeroom" and Gury Nikitin’s frescos in the Transfiguration Cathedral. In addition you can also add on a trip to Bogolyubovo to see the famous 12th century Intercession Church on the Nerl.
Total distance of the tour: 462km - 382km | 80km
• 08:30 •
Transfer from your hotel to the railway station.
Please note that the check-in for Russian trains starts 30 minutes before departure. You must have your passport with you and present it at check-in. A driver with a sign saying will wait for you at the lobby of your hotel or place where you stayed.
• 09:30 •
Departure from Moscow.
The way to Vladimir the train takes 1¾ hours. Stations are announced in Russian and English. The train only has a two-minute stop in Vladimir, so be ready to get off in advance.
• 11:17 •
Arrival in Vladimir.
A driver with a sign saying will wait for you next to your carriage. Breakfast in a cafe (not included in the price) - our driver will show you a nice place to eat.
• 11:30 •
City tour of Vladimir – Vladimir was once the mediaeval capital of the Russian state and so is an important city in terms of Russian history. The highlights of this tour include:
- Dormition Cathedral - the main cathedral of the city. For over 200 years this cathedral held the revered Our Lady of Vladimir Icon, which Prince Andrey Bogolyubsky brought from Vyshgorod in Ukraine to Vladimir. The icon was later transferred to Moscow and can now be seen in the Tretyakov Gallery. According to legend, the icon was created by Luke the Evangelist. The interior still retains fragments of frescos by Andrey Rublev. CLOSED ON MONDAYS.
- Golden Gates - a rare monument of Russian 12th century defensive architecture and all that remains of the walls which once surrounded Vladimir.
- St Demetrius’ Cathedral - one of the most remarkable monuments of mediaeval Rus. It was built in the 1190s as a palace temple of Grand Prince Vsevolod the Big Nest of Vladimir and is decorated on the outside with engravings of plants and animals. CLOSED ON TUESDAYS.
Duration: 2 hours | Transportation: by car
Transfer from Vladimir to Suzdal.
• ~15:00 •
Arrival in Suzdal.
City tour of Suzdal - Suzdal is perhaps the highlight of the Golden Ring, as the whole city is an open-air museum thanks to it being practically unspoiled by modernisation and industrialisation. On this excursion you will visit:
- Suzdal Kremlin - this is the oldest part and historical core of the city. Although the kremlin's walls no longer stand, parts of the earthen mound fortifications do remain. The buildings inside the kremlin are now used as museums. CLOSED ON TUESDAYS.
- Nativity Cathedral (1222) – the kremlin’s cathedral is the Nativity Cathedral and the current version stands on the place of an 11th century version which was built on the orders of Vladimir Monomakh. The interior features stunning frescos as well as a necropolis where the sons of Yury Dolgoruky have been interred along with several members of various noble families from Suzdal.
- Spaso-Yefimiev Monastery (1352) – this is the largest monastery in Suzdal and with its large fortified walls it is often mistaken for being the Suzdal Kremlin. Today it is a museum with various exhibitions including its main cathedral with its amazing frescos. CLOSED ON MONDAYS.
- Museum of the Wooden Architecture and Peasant life – this collection of wooden buildings, including churches and windmills, from various parts of European Russia is one of the best of architectural museums in Russia. It now resembles a village in itself made up of beautiful examples of 17th - 19th century wooden buildings which have been brought here to protect them from fire or from being dismantled.
- Trading Rows (1812) – Suzdal’s set of trading rows are still used for their original purpose and a souvenir market is held outside where you can buy a whole range of souvenirs, including bottles of the mead for which Suzdal is famed.
Duration: 3 hours | Transportation: by a private car
Free time in Suzdal after the excursion.
• 19:00 •
Transfer back to Vladimir.
• 20:14 •
Lastochka High-Speed trains to Moscow.
• 22:00 •
Arrival in Moscow. Transfer to your hotel. A driver will wait for you next to your wagon.
|PRICE PER GROUP||1-2 PAX||3-4 PAX||5-6 PAX||7-8 PAX|
- Train tickets for the Lastochka high-speed trains (2nd class return).
- Transfers in Moscow to/from the railway station.
- Car rental with a driver to be meet in Vladimir and return transfers from Vladimir to Suzdal.
- Private excursion with a local guide in Suzdal and Vladimir.
- Entrance tickets to museums.
- Gratuities (optional)
- The tour is available the whole year round starting on any day, but please take into account that the museum’s working hours and days-off vary so we reserve the right to change the itinerary while trying to save the excursion programme.
- Optional excursions should be booked before the start of the tour.
- Some religious sights such as active monasteries require a specific dress code in order to be allowed to visit - for women a scarf to cover your head and a skirt covering your knees (no trousers); for men no shorts and all headwear must be removed.
- The tour is available in Other languages upon request.
• CANCELLATION POLICY •
DATE OF CANCELLATION
(with respect to the date of the departure)
(with respect to the total price of the tour)
|FROM 60 TO 45 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||10%|
|FROM 44 TO 15 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||30%|
|FROM 14 TO 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||50%|
|LESS THAN 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||100%|
• GUIDED TOUR OF BOGOLYUBOVO •
Bogolyubovo is famous due to its place in Russian history and for having the most beautiful church in Russia - the Intercession Church on the Nerl. Please note that to get to the church you need to walk about 1km as the surrounding area is protected by UNESCO and no cars are allowed.
|PRICE PER GROUP||1-2 PAX||3-4 PAX||5-6 PAX||7-8 PAX|
Duration: 2 hours | Transportation: by a private car