Sights in Basmanny District

Accommodation   Restaurants

The south-eastern part of Moscow's Central District is known as the Zamoskvorechye District. Previously the whole of the area "beyond the River Moskva" was known as Zamoskvorechye. Its two main streets are Ulitsa Pyatnitskaya and Ulitsa Novokuznetskaya which lead down to the Garden Ring which here is known as Ulitsa Valovaya. Paveletsky Railway Station is located in this district on the Garden Ring. The district is served by Novokuznetskaya (dark green), Tretyakovskaya (yellow and orange), Dobryninskaya (circle), Serpukhovskaya (grey), Paveletskaya (dark green and circle) and Tulskaya (grey) metro stations.

 

Around Novokuznetskaya Metro Station

Ğabdulla Tuqay Monument

  • Intersection of Ulitsa Novokuznetskaya and Vishnyakovsky Pereulok
  • Novokuznetskaya

Ğabdulla Tuqay (Gabdulla Tukai) is one of the most famous Tatar poets who is credited with being the founder of modern Tatar literature. This monument to him was donated to Moscow by the Republic of Tatarstan where the poet was born and where he died just before his 27th birthday. It was unveiled in 2011 on the 125th anniversary of Tuqay's birth. The statue depicts the poet sat on a bench with an open book lying next to him on the bench. ►sights by districts  ►sights in… Read more »

Ss Mikhail and Fyodor of Chernigov Church

  • 3 Chernigovsky Pereulok
  • Novokuznetskaya

Just off Ulitsa Pyatnitskaya is Chernigovsky Pereulok which is named after its church dedicated to Prince Mikhail of Chernigov and his boyar Fyodor who were executed on the orders of Khan Batu and later canonised by the Russian Orthodox Church. The church was completed in 1675 and is an example of the architectural style known as Russian Uzorochye with decorative domes and kokoshniks. The church was closed between 1924 and 1991. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Zamoskvorechye… Read more »

St Clement's Church

  • 7 Klimentovsky Pereulok
  • Novokuznetskaya, Tretyakovskaya
  • http://www.klement.ru/

Standing at the crossroad of Ulitsa Pyatnitskaya and Klimentovsky Pereulok is the impressive St Clement's Church. The church was built between 1762 and 1769 with five large domes in the baroque style, but there has been a church dedicated to the canonised Pope Clement I since at least 1612. In 1929 the church was closed and later used as a library. Only in 2008 was the dilapidated building returned to the Orthodox Church and much-needed restoration work was begun. ►sights by… Read more »

St John the Baptist's Church under the Pines

  • 4/2 Ulitsa Pyatnitskaya
  • Novokuznetskaya

Close to the beginning of Ulitsa Pyatnitskaya is a classical-style bell tower which was built around 1780. Just behind the bell tower is its church - St John the Baptist's Church under the Pines. The current church dates from 1658 and was previously part of a monastery which stood here. The church was altered in the 18th century, giving the traditional style church a baroque makeover. During the Soviet era the church was closed and only reopened in the early 1990s. ►sights by… Read more »

St Nicholas' Church at Kuznetsy

  • 15 Vishnyakovsky Pereulok
  • Novokuznetskaya

St Nicholas' Church at Kuznetsy gets its name from being located in the area of Moscow historically known as Kuznetskaya Sloboda, which can be translated as Blacksmiths Quarter. A church dedicated to St Nicholas has been here since at least the 15th century, but the current version was built between 1805 and 1847 in the empire style. The church remained opened through the Soviet years. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Zamoskvorechye District Read more »

Trinity Church in the Cherry Orchards

  • 51 Ulitsa Pyatnitskaya
  • Novokuznetskaya

At the intersection of Ulitsa Pyatnitskaya and Vishnyakovsky Pereulok is the pink Trinity Church in the Cherry Orchards. Construction of the current version of the church was started in 1804 in the classical style and after several pauses it was fully completed in 1826 when a new bell tower was built. In the 1920s the church was closed and it was only reopened in 1994. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Zamoskvorechye District Read more »

Around Paveletskaya Metro Station

Aleksey Bakhrushin State Central Theatre Museum

  • 31/12 Ulitsa Bakhrushina
  • Paveletskaya
  • http://www.gctm.ru/
  • 12:00 - 19:00 (Thursdays: 13:00 - 21:00). Closed on Mondays (and Tuesdays in summer) and the last Friday of the month.

The Aleksey Bakhrushin State Central Theatre Museum was opened in 1894 by the famous industrialist, collector and patron of the arts Aleksey Bakhrushin in his own estate house. Today it is probably the best museum of theatrical history in the country, exhibiting an enormous collection of costumes, set designs, props and posters. The museum also holds temporary exhibitions and lectures. It has nine branches across the capital dedicated to various specific actors. ►sights by… Read more »

Intercession Old-Believers Eparchial Cathedral

  • 38c1 Ulitsa Novokuznetskaya
  • Paveletskaya

After restrictions on forms of worship were lifted in 1905 plans were made to build an old-believers church and in 1908 a plot of land was bought in Zamoskvorechye. By 1910 the church had been completed in the traditional Byzantine style. However just 20 years later the church was closed by the Bolsheviks and its priest was executed. It was only once again reopened in 1990 and in 2000 it became the Eparchial Cathedral of the Old-Believers Church. ►sights by districts  ►sights in… Read more »

Moscow International House of Music

  • 52c8 Kosmodamianskaya Naberezhnaya
  • Paveletskaya
  • http://www.mmdm.ru/

On the tip of Balchug Island is the circular glass building of the Moscow International House of Music. It was opened in 2003 as the home of the National Philharmonic of Russia, which itself was also created in the same year. There are three concert halls inside and the main one can hold up to 1,735 people and contains the largest organ in Russia. The building's dome is topped by an emblem featuring a treble clef, which was designed by the artist Zurab Tsereteli and spins around as… Read more »

Moscow Railway Museum

  • Ulitsa Kozhevnicheskaya
  • Paveletskaya
  • 10:00 - 19:00 (Sunday: 10:00-17:45). Closed on Mondays.

The Moscow Railway Museum was opened in 1948 originally as the Vladimir Lenin Funeral Train Museum-Pavilion exhibiting the actual train which carried Lenin's body from his dacha at Gorki Leninskie to Paveletsky Railway Station on 23 January 1924. Since 2012 its star attraction remains the funeral train, but the subject matter of the museum has been widened to include scale-models of Moscow's railway stations plus reconstructions of how trains and stations looked through the ages. … Read more »

Paveletsky Railway Station

  • 1 Paveletskaya Ploschad
  • Paveletskaya

Paveletsky Railway Station is one of Moscow's nine stations and was opened in 1900. It was originally given the name of Saratovsky Railway Station as the Ryazano-Uralsky Railway (which it served) had its headquarters in Saratov. Now it is named after the relatively obscure Pavelets urban-type settlement in the Ryazan Region, despite serving such major southern cities as Lipetsk, Saratov, Voronezh, Tambov, Volgograd, Astrakhan, Stavropol, Kislovodsk and Makhachkala. The Aeroexpress… Read more »

Russian Valenki Museum

  • 12 2-y Kozhevnichesky Pereulok
  • Paveletskaya
  • http://www.gorizont.org/muzey/
  • 11:00 - 17:30. Closed on Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays.

Valenki are traditional Russian winter boots made out of thick felt. The Russian Valenki Museum was opened in 2001 by the company ZAO Gorizont which produces wool felt products, such as valenki. The museum features collections of various designs of valenki as well as exhibits on the history of the footwear and on their production. It also runs special master-classes for children on decorating valenki. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Zamoskvorechye District Read more »

Ss Florus and Laurus' Church at Zatsepa

  • 9/3c1 Ulitsa Dubininskaya
  • Paveletskaya

The current version of Ss Florus and Laurus' Church at Zatsepa dates from 1739 and was built to replace the previous version that was destroyed by fire. It is an example of the empire style of architecture and has a single large dome and a bell tower over its entrance. In 1924 the church was looted of its relics and it was officially closed in 1938 having been given over to be used as an engraving workshop. During this period its frescos were destroyed and the upper tiers of it… Read more »

Transfiguration of the Saviour Church at Bolvanovka

  • 10c1 Novokuznetsky Pereulok
  • Paveletskaya
  • http://bolvanovka.ru/

There has been a church dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Saviour at this area of Moscow historically known as Bolvanka since at least the mid-15th century. Today's church dates from between 1749 and 1755 and comprises the traditional 'octagon-on-cube' structure. In 1839 a bell tower and vestibule were added but after the church was closed in 1917 these structures were demolished. The building was returned to the Orthodox Church in 1992. ►sights by districts  ►sights in… Read more »

Trinity Church at Kozhevniki

  • 4/6 2-y Kozhevnichesky Pereulok
  • Paveletskaya

The pretty Trinity Church at Kozhevniki was built between 1686 and 1689 as a traditional five-domed structure. In 1722 a bell tower was built onto the church. In the 1930s the church was closed and in 1980 construction work was carried out on it to convert it into a concert hall, although this project never saw fruition. Eventually in 1992 the building was returned to the Orthodox Church and restored. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Zamoskvorechye District Read more »

Around Serpukhovskaya Metro Station

Ali-Shir Nava'i Monument

  • Park in Ulitsa Bolshaya Serpukhovskaya
  • Dobryninskaya, Serpukhovskaya

Ali-Shir Nava'i (also transliterated as Alisher Navoy) was a 15th century Uzbek politician, mystic and poet. This monument of him was unveiled in 2002 and was donated to Moscow by the Government of Uzbekistan and the city administration of Tashkent. The bronze statue depicts Nava'i in traditional Uzbek dress reading a poem standing on a tall granite pedestal. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Zamoskvorechye District Read more »

Ascension Church Beyond Serpukhovskie Gates

  • 24 Ulitsa Bolshaya Serpukhovskaya
  • Dobryninskaya, Serpukhovskaya
  • http://voznesenie.ru

The Ascension Church Beyond Serpukhovskie Gates is so named as it was located outside the Serpukhovskie Gates which were demolished in 1798. The construction of the church was begun in 1714 using the funds of Aleksey Petrovich but then stopped before completion after the tsarevich was executed. The roof was hastily finished with a wooden covering which remained until 1762 when it was decided to finish the construction of the church. In 1839 a refectory was added and in 1842 a bell… Read more »

Sergey Yesenin Museum

  • 24с2 Bolshoy Strochenovsky Pereulok
  • Serpukhovskaya
  • http://esenin-museum.ru/
  • 10:00 - 18:00 (Wednesdays and Thursdays: 13:00 - 21:00). Closed on Mondays and the last Friday of the month.

Just off Ulitsa Bolshaya Serpukhovskaya is the Sergey Yesenin Museum which was opened in 1995 on the 100th anniversary of the birth of the famous Russian poet in the house where he lived and was officially registered from 1911 to 1918. The museum is focused on the period of Yesenin's life when he lived in Moscow. The interior has been restored to how it would have looked when Yesenin lived there and includes his personal belongings, photographs, manuscripts and documents. … Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument

  • intersection of Ulitsa Pavlovskaya and 1-y Schipkovsky pereulok
  • Serpukhovskaya

In a small park where Ulitsa Bolshaya Serpukhovskaya becomes Ulitsa Pavlovskaya is a statue of Vladimir Lenin with an interesting back story. The monument marks the location where on 30 August 1918 the political revolutionary Fanni Kaplan attempted to assassinate Lenin after he had given a speech at a factory. Kaplin, despite allegedly being near-blind, managed to shoot Lenin three times and, although he did not die from his wounds, he never really fully recovered and it was… Read more »

Around Tretyakovskaya Metro Station

Aleksandr Ostrovsky House-Museum

  • 9 Ulitsa Malaya Ordynka
  • Tretyakovskaya
  • http://www.gctm.ru/
  • 12:00-19:00. Closed on Monday, Tuesday and the last Friday of the month

The Aleksandr Ostrovsky House Museum was opened in 1984 in the quaint wooden house, surrounded by pretty gardens, where the Russian playwright was born in 1823.  The museum's collection consists of personal belongings as well as cultural items of the 19th century.  It details the life and plays of Ostrovsky and the history of Zamoskvorechye during his time. The museum is run as a branch of the Aleksey Bakhrushin Theatre Museum. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Zamoskvorechye… Read more »

Joy of All Who Sorrow Church on Bolshaya Ordynka

  • 20 Ulitsa Bolshaya Ordynka
  • Tretyakovskaya
  • http://ordynka.com/

The empire-style Joy of All Who Sorrow Church on Bolshaya Ordynka was built between 1834 and 1836 according to a plan by the famous architect Osip Bove, featuring a large cylindrical dome. However there has been a church here since at least the 15th century. In 1933 the church was closed and later used by the State Tretyakov Gallery as a storeroom. The church was reopened not long afterwards in 1948 and a church choir was established in the 1950s. Read more »

Marfo-Mariinskaya Cloister

  • 34 Ulitsa Bolshaya Ordynka
  • Tretyakovskaya
  • http://www.mmom.ru/

The Marfo-Mariinskaya Cloister, which is sometimes also called the Marfo-Mariinsky Convent, was founded in 1909 by Grand Duchess Yelizaveta Fyodorovna, the sister of Empress Aleksandra Fyodorovna, who was born Princess of Elisabeth of Hesse. Yelizaveta decided to found the cloister after her husband Grand Duke Sergey Aleksandrovich was assassinated in 1905. In 1918 Yelizaveta herself was murdered by the Bolsheviks and in 1926 the cloister she had founded was closed down. The… Read more »

Museum of Vasili Tropinin and Moscow Artists of his Time

  • 10c1 Schetininsky Pereulok
  • Treyakovskaya, Dobryninskaya
  • http://www.museum-tropinin.ru/
  • 10:00 - 18:00 (Thursdays: 13:00 - 21:00). Closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

The Museum of Vasili Tropinin and Moscow Artists of his Time was opened in 1971 in an early-19th century estate house. However after an accident at the museum in 2002 the museum was closed for restoration and only reopened in 2011. The main exhibit of the museum consists of the work of Vasili Tropinin, an early 19th century painter famous for his romantic and realistic portraits. But in addition to this the work of other artists who were working around the same time as Tropinin is… Read more »

Our Lady of Iveron Church at Vspolye

  • 39 Ulitsa Bolshaya Ordynka
  • Tretyakovskaya
  • http://vratarnica.ru/

Just beyond the Marfo-Mariinskaya Cloister is the pink Our Lady of Iveron Church at Vspolye. The word Vspolye and be translated as 'in the fields'. The current church was built in the classical style between 1789 and 1802 and comprises a cylindrical dome with a bell tower. The façade of the church is decorated with columns and a pediment. The church was closed between 1930 and 1994 during which time its bell tower was destroyed. It was only rebuilt after the church was reopened. In… Read more »

St Catherine the Martyr's Church at Vspolye

  • 60/2 Ulitsa Bolshaya Ordynka
  • Tretyakovskaya, Dobryninskaya
  • http://www.st-catherine.ru/

St Catherine the Martyr's Church at Vspolye on Bolshaya Ordynka was probably commissioned by Catherine the Great after her ascension to the throne in 1762. It was built between 1766 and 1775 according to a project by architect Karl Blank. This new baroque-style church was attached to a pre-existing church via a bell tower. In 1931 the churches were closed and the bell tower and the old church were demolished. In 1992 St Catherine the Martyr's Church was reopened and in 1994 it… Read more »

St Nicholas' Church at Pyzhy

  • 27A/8 Ulitsa Bolshaya Ordynka
  • Tretyakovskaya
  • http://www.vpyzhax.ru/

The beautiful St Nicholas' Church at Pyzhy gets its name from Bogdan Pyzhov who was a commander of a streltsy regiment which were based in this settlement. The current church dates from approximately 1672. It features five domes whose bases are decorated with kokoshniks and an decorative bell tower. In 1934 the church was closed and only returned to the Orthodox Church in 1990 and subsequently restored. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Zamoskvorechye District Read more »

St Nicholas' Museum-Church in Tolmachy

  • 9 Maly Tolmachevsky Pereulok
  • Tretyakovskaya
  • http://hramvtolmachah.ru (church)
  • http://www.tretyakovgallery.ru/ (museum)
  • As a museum: 12:00 - 16:00. Closed on Mondays.

St Nicholas' Church in Tolmachy is located immediately next to the State Tretyakov Gallery and its oldest part dates from 1697. The yellow vestibule and bell tower were built on later in 1834. However it is not the appearance of the church which generates the most interest but what the church holds inside: the revered Our Lady of Vladimir Icon, which is said to have been painted by the Apostle Luke and is believed to have come to Rus as a present to Prince Yuri Dolgoruky. Over the… Read more »

State Tretyakov Gallery

  • 10 Lavrushinsky Pereulok
  • Tretyakovskaya
  • http://www.tretyakovgallery.ru/en
  • 10:00 - 18:00 (Thursdays and Fridays: 10:00 - 21:00). Closed on Mondays.

The State Tretyakov Gallery is one of the foremost art galleries in the world which exhibits some of the masterpieces of Russian art and annually attracts over one million visitors. The gallery bears the name of its founder Pavel Tretyakov who began collecting works of art in the mid-19th century and donated his collection to the city of Moscow in 1892. The building was purchased by the Tretyakov family in 1851 and it has been extended as the art collection grows. Just outside the… Read more »

Around Tulskaya Metro Station

Prince Daniil of Moscow Monument

  • Park between Ulitsa Losinovskaya and Podolskoe Shosse
  • Tulskaya

In 1997, as part of the 850th anniversary of Moscow, a monument to Prince Daniil of Moscow was erected in the small park between Ulitsa Losinovskaya and Podolskoe Shosse. A son of the celebrated Aleksandr Nevsky, Prince Daniil is considered the first prince of Moscow and reigned from around 1263 to 1303. He founded several monasteries in Moscow including the nearby Svyato-Danilov Monastery which now bears his name. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Zamoskvorechye District Read more »

Resurrection Church in Danilova Sloboda

  • 3 Bolshoy Starodanilovsky Pereulok
  • Tulskaya

Located just south of the Svyato-Danilov Monastery is the Resurrection Church in Danilova Sloboda. It marks the spot where the Svyato-Danilov Monastery was originally founded before being moved to its present location in the 15th century. The current church was built between 1832 and 1837 in the empire style. It was closed in 1933 and allowed to fall into disrepair. However it was later fully restored by the time it was returned to the Orthodox Church in 1998. ►sights by… Read more »

Svyato-Danilov Monastery

  • 22 Ulitsa Danilovsky Val
  • Tulskaya
  • http://www.msdm.ru

The Svyato-Danilov Monastery was founded in the late 13th century by Prince Daniil of Moscow, a younger son of Aleksandr Nevsky. Although the exact date is not known (sometime between 1272 and 1303 during Daniil's reign), it is considered the oldest monastery in Moscow. Before his death in 1303, Prince Daniil became a monk at the monastery and in 1652 he was canonised as St Daniel (Daniil) of Moscow. During the 14th and 15th centuries the monastery fell into a state of neglect as… Read more »