Sights in Tagansky District

Around Kotelnicheskaya Naberezhnaya

Bunker-42 at Taganka (Cold War Museum)

  • office 1, 11 5-y Kotelnichesky Pereulok
  • Taganskaya
  • (495) 500-05-53, (495) 500-05-54

Bunker-42 at Taganka is a cold war era bunker located 65 metres down which has now been converted into a Cold War Museum and a conference centre for holding corporate events or parties with a difference. Construction of the bunker was started in the 1950s and in 1956 it was transferred to the Ministry of Defence as a reserve command centre. In the 1960s the bunker was fully equipped to provide shelter in case of a nuclear war. The bunker was eventually decommissioned in 1995.  … Read more »

Dormition Church at Gonchari

  • 29 Ulitsa Goncharnaya
  • Taganskaya

The Dormition Church at Gonchari was built in 1654 and serves as a beautiful example of the Russian Uzorochye architectural style, complete with elaborate decorations and kokoshniks. The church has held since 1716 a revered copy of the Three-Handed Virgin Mary Icon. The church remained open during the Soviet years and since 1948 it has been the podvorye (embassy church) of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church. Read more »

Galina Ulanova Museum-Apartment

  • apartment 185, 1/15 Kotelnicheskaya Naberezhnaya
  • Kitai-Gorod, Taganskaya
  • 11: 00 - 19:00. Closed on Fridays and Saturdays.

In 2004 the apartment where the famous ballerina Galina Ulanova lived in the apartment building on Kotelnicheskaya Naberezhnaya was opened as the Galina Ulanova Museum-Apartment. The actual furniture of the time has been preserved inside and there are displays featuring photographs and letters of the ballerina which tell the story of her career. This museum-apartment is run as a branch of the Aleksey Bakhrushin State Central Theatre Museum. Read more »

Intercession Church on Lyschikova Hill

  • 10 Lyschikov Pereulok
  • Taganskaya

Near the end of Ulitsa Nikoloyamskaya, close to where it crosses the Garden Ring Road of Ulitsa Zemlyanoy Val, is Lyschikov Pereulok, which is named after the Lyschikovaya Hill here. Previously the Prokrovsky Monastery was situated here, but this was closed in the late 16th century, leaving its Intercession Church as a parish church, until it was destroyed by fire in 1688. The church was rebuilt in the Moscow baroque style by 1696 and it is this version which survives today,… Read more »

Residential Building on Kotelnicheskaya Naberezhnaya

  • 1/15 Kotelnicheskaya Naberezhnaya
  • Kitai-Gorod, Taganskaya

The corner of Kotelnicheskaya Naberezhnaya and Podgorskaya Naberezhnaya is dominated by the massive apartment building which is one of the gothic Stalin skyscrapers commonly referred to as the Seven Sisters. The house was built between 1938 and 1952, with a break in construction work during the war years. The central part has 32 floors and reaches 176 metres. Taking into account the side-corpuses the building contains over 700 apartments, various shops and a cinema. The spire of… Read more »

Russian Icon Museum

  • 3c1 Ulitsa Goncharnaya
  • Taganskaya
  • 11:00 - 19:00. Closed on Wednesdays.

The Russian Icon Museum is a private museum which was founded in 2006 by the business man and icon-collector Mikhail Abramov. In 2010 the museum moved to this specially-refurbished mansion on Ulitsa Goncharnaya. Today it boasts over 4000 exhibits including over 800 icons, including Byzantine examples from the 6th century up to modern 20th century Russian examples.  It includes a workshop where you can see a real-life icon painter at work.  The top floor also had icons  displayed in… Read more »

St Nicetas' Church on Svivaya Hill

  • 4-6 Ulitsa Goncharnaya
  • Taganskaya

Situated on the top of Svivaya Hill is the pretty St Nicetas' Church. The current version of the church was built in 1595 incorporating parts of an older church which stood here. A tent-domed bell tower was built on between 1684 and 1685. In 1936 the church was closed and its walls and holy gates were removed. It was later used as a store for the Diafilm studio. The church was reopened in 1991 and in the following year became the podvorye (embassy church) of the Agiou Panteleimonos… Read more »

St Nicholas' Church at Kotelniki

  • 8 1-y Kotelnichesky Pereulok
  • Taganskaya

Although there have been several versions of the St Nicholas' Church at Kotelniki, the current version was built in the empire style between 1822 and 1824 under a project by the architect Osip Bove. In form it is a cube structure topped with a rotunda and attached to a small bell tower. The church's facades are decorated with bas-reliefs depicting scenes from the bible. In 1932 the church was closed and turned into a laboratory. In 1992 it was returned to the Russian Orthodox… Read more »

St Simeon Stylites' Church beyond the Yauza

  • 10 Ulitsa Nikoloyamskaya
  • Taganskaya

The first St Simeon Stylites' Church was built out of wood here in 1600 to commemorate Tsar Boris Godunov becoming tsar in the same year on what was the feast-day of St Simeon Stylites. By 1657 the church was mentioned as being built out of stone and this version was replaced in 1731. However work on the current version started in 1792 and was only completed in 1813, after suffering a setbacks when the church's dome collapsed in 1798 and then during the Napoleonic Invasion of 1812… Read more »

Around Ploschad Ilicha Metro Station

Andrey Rublev Central Museum of Ancient Culture and Art (Spaso-Andronikov Monastery)

  • 10 Andronievskaya Ploschad
  • Rimskaya, Ploschad Ilicha
  • 11:00 - 18:00 (Thursday: 14:00 - 21:00). Closed on Wednesdays and the last Friday of the month.

The Spaso-Andronikov Monastery was founded in 1357 by Metropolitan Alexius (Aleksi) allegedly in gratitude for his salvation during a storm on a journey to Constantinople. The monastery gets the first part of its name from the Miracle-Image of the Saviour (Spas), a copy of which was brought back to Moscow by Alexius, and its second part from its first father superior St Andronik of Moscow, a disciple of St Sergius of Radonezh. Spaso-Andronikov Monastery later became a centre for… Read more »

Andrey Rublev Monument

  • outside the Spaso-Andronikov Monastery (Andrey Rublev Central Museum of Ancient Culture and Art)
  • Rimskaya, Ploschad Ilicha

Located just outside the former Spaso-Andronikov Monastery is a statue of the 15th century icon and fresco painter, Andrey Rublev. Rublev is probably the greatest of Russia's icon painters, famous for his Trinity Icon but made all the more famous by Andrey Tarkovsky's ground breaking and critically-acclaimed 1966 film about him. This location was chosen for this statue as Rublev worked at the Spaso-Andronikov Monastery and died there in 1428. Now the monastery has even become a… Read more »

Proscha Chapel

  • 23/25 Ulitsa Sergia Radonezhskogo
  • Rimskaya, Ploschad Ilicha

The quaint Proscha Chapel nestled among the shops on Ulitsa Sergia Radonezhskogo is officially part of the Spaso-Andronikov Monastery. Its name comes from the Russian word for farewell ('proschanie'), as it was traditional for chapels to be built on roads where people said farewell to their departing loved-ones. According to tradition the chapel marks the spot where St Sergius of Radonezh parted company with St Andronik of Moscow. The current version of the church was built between… Read more »

St Alexius, Metropolitan of Moscow's Church at Rogozhskaya Sloboda

  • 60 Ulitsa Nikoloyamskaya
  • Ploschad Ilicha

At the end of Ulitsa Nikoloyamskaya, close to Andronievskaya Ploschad, is the St Alexius, Metropolitan of Moscow's Church at Rogozhskaya Sloboda. The church was built in the baroque style in the mid-18th century according to a plan by the architect Dmitri Ukhtomsky. During the Soviet era the church was closed and heavily damaged. It was returned to the Orthodox Church in the 1990s and restoration work was carried out. Read more »

St Sergius of Radonezh's Church at Rogozhskaya Sloboda

  • 57-59 Ulitsa Nikoloyamskaya
  • Ploschad Ilicha

The large blue church which dominates Andronievskaya Ploschad is the St Sergius of Radonezh's Church at Rogozhskaya Sloboda. A church has stood here since the 17 century but the current version was built in the empire style between 1818 and 1838. It comprises a large five dome structure which had a three-tier bell tower built on in 1864. The church was looted after the revolution and completely closed in 1938. It was later used as a workshop and a storeroom and damaged in the… Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument

  • Bulvar Entuziastov
  • Rimskaya, Ploschad Ilicha

Standing in the small gardens behind Ploschad Ilicha metro station is yet another statue of Vladimir Lenin. Ploschad Ilicha is in fact named in honour of Lenin whose patronymic name is Ilich - 'son of Ilia'. This statue was erected in 1967 and is quite a departure from the standard Lenin statue. Lenin stands practically at ground level and is taking a rather macho pose with his arms behind his back. Read more »

Around Proletarskaya Metro Station

Forty Martyrs of Sebaste Church at Spasskaya Sloboda

  • 28 Ulitsa Dinamovskaya
  • Proletarskaya

Directly opposite to the Novospassky Monastery is the Forty Martyrs of Sebaste Church. The main part of the building dates from 1645 but the bell tower was a later addition sometime in the first half of the 19th century. In 1812 the church was looted by the French and the church's priest lost his life trying to stop them. In 1932 the church was closed and the top tiers of the bell tower were removed. The church is now once again open and fully restored. Read more »

Krutitskoe Podvorye

  • 11-13 Ulitsa Krutitskaya
  • Proletarskaya

Krutitskoe Podvorye, now a podvorye (embassy church) of the patriarch, started its life as the podvorye of the Metropolitan of Sarai - the capital of the Golden Horde. The name Krutitskoe comes from the word Krutitsy which was given to this area of Moscow due to its steep descent to the River Moscow; 'krutoy' is the Russian for steep. In the 13th century, after the Mongol-Tatar Conquest of Russia, the Eparchy of Sarai was established to serve the Orthodox population in the Golden… Read more »

Novospassky Monastery

  • 10 Krestyanskaya Ploschad
  • Proletarskaya

The Novospassky Monastery was founded in 1490 on the orders of Grand Prince Ivan III. Upon its foundation the monks of the monastery surrounding the Transfiguration of the Saviour Cathedral inside the Kremlin were transferred here, hence the monastery's name Novospassky meaning the 'New Saviour'. The monastery was heavily damaged during the Time of Troubles and had to be rebuilt afterwards. Between 1640 and 1642 new stone walls and towers were built around the monastery. In 1812… Read more »

Water Museum

  • 13 Sarinsky Proezd
  • Proletarskaya
  • 09:00 - 18:00 Monday to Thursday, 09:00 - 16:45 on Fridays. Closed on weekends. On the last week of the month the museum is closed on the Monday but open on the Saturday.
  • Free of charge

In 1993 Mosvodokanal - the biggest water company in Russia - opened the Museum of Water on the territory of the former Main Sewerage Pump Centre which was built in 1898. The aim of the museum is not only to detail the history of water use in the capital but also to raise people's awareness of water protection and conservation. The halls exhibit examples various items, documents, maps and instruments connected with waterworks. Read more »

Around Taganskaya Metro Station

Furniture Museum in Moscow

  • 13c3 Ulitsa Taganskaya
  • Taganskaya, Marksistskaya
  • 11:00 - 18:00 (Sundays: 11:00 - 17:00). Closed on Mondays.

The Furniture Museum in Moscow was founded in 1999 in a mid-17th century estate house which was established by the merchant Zemskov brothers. The museum displays the interiors of estates from the 18th to the 20th centuries as well as modern examples of furniture. The complex also incorporates a furniture restoration workshop and a restaurant. The courtyard outside has a monument of a three metre stool in honour of the first anniversary of the museum Read more »

Pokrovsky Convent

  • 58 Ulitsa Taganskaya
  • Taganskaya, Proletarskaya

The Pokrovsky Convent was established in 1635 by Tsar Michael as a monastery dedicated to the Intercession (Pokrov) of the Virgin Mary. The monastery's main church was first built in 1655 but it, along with the rest of the monastery, was rebuilt in the 19th century. This construction work also included surrounding the monastery with walls and towers. In the late 19th century it became a missionary monastery responsible for training missionaries. In 1920 the monastery was dissolved… Read more »

St Martin the Confessor's Church

  • 15 Ulitsa Aleksandr Solzhenitsyna
  • Taganskaya

Rather unusually for a Russian Orthodox church, St Martin the Confessor's Church is dedicated to a Roman Catholic pope - Martin I. The church was built between 1791 and 1806 in the classical style under a project by the famous architect Rodion Kazakov. In form it has a large central dome, a bell tower and facades decorated with columns and pediments. The church was closed in 1931 and only returned to the Orthodox Church in 1996. It was re-consecrated in 1998. Read more »

St Nicholas' Church at Bolvankovka

  • 20 Ulitsa Verkhnyaya Radischevskaya
  • Taganskaya

The beautiful St Nicholas' Church at Bolvankovka was built between 1697 and 1712 and is a wonderful example of Naryshkin baroque and the Uzorochye style with wonderfully decorated window frames and kokoshniks. In form the church is an example of a ship church with the main part of the building attached to a bell tower via a two-storey closed vestibule. In 1920 the church was closed and almost demolished in 1944 with the construction of Taganskaya metro station, although instead it… Read more »

St Nicholas' Church at Studenets

  • 20A Ulitsa Taganskaya
  • Taganskaya, Marksistskaya

St Nicholas' Church at Studenets was built approximately between 1699 and 1702 and the white church's most striking feature is its small black domes with kokoshniks at their base. The church was closed in the 1930s and parts of it were demolished as it was converted into a factory. However in 1966 restoration work was started. It was later returned to the Orthodox Church and is now an Old-Ritualists (Yedinoverie) Church, that is Old-Believers who have re-joined the Orthodox Church… Read more »

Vladimir Vysotsky State Cultural Centre-Museum

  • 3 Nizhny Tagansky Tupik
  • Taganskaya
  • 11:00 - 18:00 (Thursdays: 13:00 - 21:00; Sundays: 11:00 - 17:00). Closed on Mondays and the last Friday of the month.

The Vladimir Vysotsky State Cultural Centre-Museum is more commonly known as Vysotsky's House at Taganka, which was founded in 1989 in the Theatre at Taganka. The centre's museum in its current form was opened in 2000 on the 20th anniversary of the death of Vysotsky. It has three rooms each named after one of Vysotsky's poems. The first hall tells of Vysotsky's creative work while the second hall concentrates on Vysotsky's personal life. The third hall comprises a reconstruction of… Read more »

Around Ulitsa Solyanka

Beslan Memorial

  • outside 5/2 Ulitsa Solyanka
  • Kitai-Gorod

In 2010 a memorial to the victims of the tragedy in Beslan was unveiled outside the Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church at Kulishki, which is popular among the Ossetian diaspora in Moscow. The tragedy took place in September 2004 when terrorists took over 1,000 people hostage, the vast majority children, at a school in Beslan, North Ossetia-Alania. The tragedy resulted in the death of over 300 people, again mostly children. The monument is the work of the famous sculptor Zurab… Read more »

Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church at Kulishki

  • 5/2 Ulitsa Solyanka
  • Kitai-Gorod

The Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church at Kulishki is also sometimes said to be located "on the arrow" due to being situated where Podkolokolny Pereulok forks off of Ulitsa Solyanka. The first mention of a church here came in 1547, although the present-day building was built between 1801 and 1804 in the classical style. In 1935 the church was closed and only returned to the Orthodox Church in 1991. Read more »

St Nicholas' Church at Podkopai

  • 15/9c5 Podkopaevsky Pereulok
  • Kitai-Gorod

A church dedicated to St Nicholas has been located in this area since at least 1493 when it was first mentioned as providing shelter for Ivan III after a fire at the Kremlin. The church was rebuilt in stone by at least 1657 and its current bell tower was added in 1759. During Napoleon's invasion of Moscow in 1812 the church was heavily damaged and subsequently restored. The church was closed between 1929 and 1991. Read more »

Three Holy Hierarchs Church at Kulishki

  • 4/6 Maly Tryokhsvyatitelsky Pereulok

Located on top of the hill known as Ivanovskaya Hill is the beautiful Three Holy Hierarchs Church at Kulishki. The church was built between 1670 and 1674 in land recently vacated by a royal estate founded by Grand Prince Vasili I in the 15th century. The church has two stories and a bell tower built onto the corner. The second floor is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. In 1927 the church was closed and subsequently used by the NKVD for accommodation and then as an animation studio. It… Read more »

Trinity Church at Serebryaniki

  • 1/3 Serebryanichesky Pereulok
  • Kitai-Gorod

The Trinity Church at Serebryaniki was first mentioned as a wooden church in 1620 and by 1657 it was mentioned as being made out of stone. The current building dates from 1781 when it was rebuilt in the classical style under a project by the architect Karl Blank. The church was closed in 1917 and allowed to fall into despair. In 1993 it was returned to the Orthodox Church and restored, eventually reopening for worship in 2001. Read more »