Sights of Klin

Around the City

Arkadi Gaidar House-Museum

  • 17 Ulitsa Gaidara

Arkadi Gaidar, a Soviet author especially loved for his children’s stories, lived in Klin from 1938 and 1941. The house where he lived and where he wrote several well-loved stories, including the famous “Chuk and Gek”, was turned into a the house-museum dedicated to him in 1989. Read more »

Dormition Cathedral

  • 16a Ulitsa Papivina

The Dormition Cathedral is the oldest building in Klin but its exact date of foundation is unknown, though believed to date from the mid-16th century. One legend states that it was built on the orders of Tsar Ivan the Terrible to repent for ravaging the city during the Oprichnina period. Previously it was the main cathedral of a monastery which was closed in 1764. The cathedral was heavily reconstructed in the 19th century in the classical style. Opposite the cathedral is a small… Read more »

Joy of All Who Sorrow Church

  • 19 Ulitsa Liteynaya

This church was built between 1847 and 1861 and dedicated to the icon known as the Joy of All Who Sorrow. Even though the church is pretty on the outside incorporating aspects of Russian and classical styles, its main attraction is on the inside where 19th century frescos have been preserved, including an impressive painting of Jesus looking down from the inside of the dome. The Joy of All Who Sorrow Church was the only church that remained open during the Soviet years Read more »

Klin Regional Museum

  • 37/1 Ulitsa Gagarina

The Klin Regional museum has exhibitions on Klin throughout the ages, including during the middle ages, the Napoleonic War and the Second World War. It also displays works of art and craft and items from the city's religious life with a model of how the Trinity Cathedral once looked. Read more »

Museum Shop of Christmas Tree Decorations

  • 4 Ulitsa Staroyamskaya
  • 09:30 - 17:00. Closed on Mondays.

Located in a building known as Klin Court is Russia's only museum of Christmas tree decorations. The museum is not only dedicated to the history of glass Christmas tree decorations in Russia but also to the history of the celebration of New Year's Eve in Russia from the age of Peter the Great to present day. It offers excursions around the factory to see how the glass is blown and then painted. There is also a shop where all types of decorations are on sale. Read more »

Pyotr Tchaikovsky House-Museum

  • 48 Ulitsa Chaikovskogo
  • 10:00 - 19:00. Closed on Wednesdays, Thursdays and the last Monday of the month.

  In May 1892, the famous Russian composer Pyotr Tchaikovsky started renting an estate house on the outskirts of Klin. By this time Tchaikovsky was already in his 50s and after years of travelling around the world he wanted to find a place to settle near the Russian countryside which he loved so much. Previously he had lived in Maidanovo, a village near Klin. Tchaikovsky died just over a year later in 1893 but even in this short period he grew very fond of his Klin home. After… Read more »

Pyotr Tchaikovsky Monument

  • Sovetskaya Ploschad

Klin’s most famous former-resident is of course Pyotr Tchaikovsky who lived in the city in the last years of his life and became greatly attached to his Klin home. Now there are two monuments dedicated to the famous composer in the city. This monument depicts Tchaikovsky standing and is located in a small park off Sovetskaya Ploschad. It was installed in 1995 and has since become one of the city’s symbols. Read more »

Resurrection of Christ Church

  • 16 Sovetskaya Ploschad

The Resurrection of Christ Church was built in 1712 using funds raised by parishioners to replace the original wooden church. In form it comprises the standard 'octagon on cube’ design. Next to the church is a three-tier bell tower that was completed in 1786. In the 1930s the church was closed and used as a laboratory and the bell tower was turned into a water tower. The complex was eventually returned to the church in the 1990s and underwent reconstruction, although today both the… Read more »

St Tikhon of Zadonsk’s Church

  • 7 Tikhaya Ulitsa

St Tikhon of Zadonsk’s Church was opened in 1907 as a place of worship for the local prison. The church was closed by the Bolsheviks shortly afterwards in the 1920s and used as a store while the prison became housing. In 1989 the church was returned to the Church and re-consecrated. Read more »

Trinity Cathedral

  • Sovetskaya Ploschad

Trinity Cathedral stands on Sovetskaya Ploschad which was once known as Sobornaya (or Cathedral) Ploschad. It was built in the classical style between 1802 and 1836 topped with five blue domes. However in the 1930s it was closed and used as a canteen. It suffered a worse fate in the Second World War when it was damaged in Nazi bombing raids which destroyed its four domes. After the war it was restored and became a house of culture, but its domes were never replaced. In 1994 it was… Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monuments

  • next to 20 Ulitsa Lenina and on Ulitsa Pervomaiskaya

Klin’s main monument to Lenin had been placed in various locations around the city, and was even almost scrapped, before Lenin finally settled in its current location on Ulitsa Lenina. There is also a second monument on the boulevard running parallel to Ulitsa Pervomaiskaya. This monument now looks rather lonely and uncared for. Read more »

War Memorial

  • intersection of Ulitsa Liteynaya and Pervomaiskaya Ulitsa

Klin’s War Memorial is located on top of a mass grave of those who were killed during the Second World War. Klin suffered greatly during the war and saw both heavy fighting and Nazi occupation. The main sculpture depicts two soldiers carrying their fallen comrade. The memorial has been brought into the 21st century by including a flat-screen which shows the names of Klin’s war dead. Read more »


Ruins of Demyanovo Estate

  • Demyanovo (Proezd Taneeva)

The village of Demyanovo located just to the south of Klin has now been practically incorporated into the city itself. The Demyanovo Estate there dates from the 18th century and in 1883 it was purchased by the brother of the composter Sergey Taneev. Although the estate's 18th century Dormition Church has been preserved, all that remains of the two-storey stone estate house is the ruins of its walls. Read more »