Trinity Cathedral stands on Sovetskaya Ploschad which was once known as Sobornaya (or Cathedral) Ploschad. It was built in the classical style between 1802 and 1836 topped with five blue domes. However in the 1930s it was closed and used as a canteen. It suffered a worse fate in the Second World War when it was damaged in Nazi bombing raids which destroyed its four domes. After the war it was restored and became a house of culture, but its domes were never replaced. In 1994 it was returned to the church and slightly restored but remains a rather dilapidated building which has lost its former glory.