Sights of Dmitrov

Around the City

Borisoglebsky Monastery

  • 4 Ulitsa Minina

Although the first written evidence of Borisoglebsky Monastery is only found in the testament of Prince Yuri Vasilievich in 1472, according to legend it was founded by Yuri Dolgoruky at the same time as he founded the city of Dmitrov. In any case it was founded in honour of the first native saints of Rus - Boris and Gleb. In 1764 it became the only monastery in the city as Empress Catherine the Great closed the other two. After the Revolution the monastery was closed in 1926 and… Read more »

City of Military Glory Monument

  • next to 12 Ulitsa Sovetskaya

In 2008 Dmitrov was awarded the title of a City of Military Glory for the actions of its civilians and the Red Army nearby whose actions were essential during the Battle of Moscow in stopping the Nazis approach on Moscow. The monument is the standard City of Military Glory Monument with a granite obelisk with the Russian double-headed eagle on the top. The obelisk is surrounded by four plinths with engravings of battles from the time of Yuri Dolgoruki, the Time of Troubles, the… Read more »

Moscow Canal

  • west of the city

The Moscow Canal was originally known as the Moscow-Volga Canal and was constructed between 1932 and 1937 using GULAG prisoner labour. It connects Moscow to the Volga thereby providing the city with water access to the White Sea, the Baltic Sea, the Caspian Sea, the Azov Sea and the Black Sea. For the purposes of the construction, Dmitrovlag, later known as Dmitlag, was established as part of the GULAG system in Dmitrov with its administration located at the Borisoglebsky Monastery… Read more »

Our Lady of Tikhvin Church

  • 19 Pushkinskaya Ulitsa

The Our Lady of Tikhvin Church is also known as the Holy Trinity Church and was built between 1794 and 1801. It is unusual in its appearance as it is bright green and has three stories. The lower floor is dedicated to St Nicholas and used in winter, the middle floor is dedicated to the Holy Trinity and only used in summer and the top floor has an alter dedicated to the Our Lady of Tikhvin Icon. Read more »

Presentation of the Lord Church

  • 65 Ulitsa Professionalnaya

The pretty Presentation of Christ Church was built in 1814 to commemorate the Russian victory over Napoleon. The church is in the form of a “ship church” with a five-dome building attached to a bell tower via a vestibule.  In the Soviet era it was used as a storeroom meaning that it interior was completely lost.  It was returned to the Church in 1992. Read more »

Presentation of Virgin Mary Church

  • 47 Ulitsa Starorogachevskaya

The Presentation of Virgin Mary Church was built between 1763 and 1768 in the baroque style. In 1787 a bell tower was built onto the church. Although it was never closed during the Second World War its relics were looted and its bells were removed. The German Army got within a kilometre of the church which was being used by Soviet troops as a watch tower. The Nazis fired missiles at the church killing 11 citizens who were taking shelter inside. The victims are buried in mass graves… Read more »

Ss Boris and Gleb Monument

  • outside 4 Ulitsa Minina

Situated outside the Borisoglebsky Monastery is an interesting statue of Ss Boris and Gleb, after whom the monastery is named. The statue is unique as it is the only double equestrian statue in Russia. Boris and Gleb were the first native saints in Kievan Rus, being canonised in 1071. In 1015 they were prince of Rostov and prince of Murom respectively and rather than fight their brother Svyatopolk the Accursed they became martyrs. Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument

  • Istoricheskaya Ploschad

A standard Lenin statue stands at one corner of Istoricheskaya Ploshad. Lenin stands in front of a board listing honoured citizens of Dmitrov in a pose which is not too dissimilar to the pose of Yuri Dologoruki in another statue across from Lenin. Read more »

Yuri Dolgoruky Monument

  • Istoricheskaya Ploschad

Just in front of the kremlin mound is a statue of the city's founder - Prince Yuri Dolgoruky. Prince Yuri Dolgoruky was born around the turn of the 12th century and became the Prince of Rostov-Suzdal and then the Grand Prince of Kiev. He is famous for founding many other Russian cities, including Moscow. Like most statues of Yuri Dolgoruky, this statue depicts him holding out his arm, as Dolgoruky means the Long-Armed, a sobriquet he earned due to his decision to rule Kiev from… Read more »

Inside the Kremlin Mound

Dmitrov Kremlin Mound

  • Istoricheskaya Ploschad

Located on Istoricheskaya Ploschad (Historical Square) is Dmitrov’s kremlin – the centre of the city. Once a wooden kremlin stood here but that was destroyed in the 17th century, all that remains now is the earthen mounds and a 21st century reconstruction of its gates. However inside the 16th century Dormition Cathedral and the 19th century St Elizabeth's Church have been preserved. Around the kremlin mound are several nice statues of citizens in period dress going about their… Read more »

Dmitrov Kremlin Museum-Reserve

  • 6 Istoricheskaya Ploschad
  • 10:00 - 17:00 (weekends: 11:00 - 19:00). Closed on Mondays, Tuesdays and the last Wednesday of the month.

Three buildings in the Kremlin form the Dmitrov Kremlin Museum-Reserve. One of the buildings has exhibitions on the Dmitrov Land since ancient times to the beginning of the 18th century. The second is an art exposition, including many ancient icons and other church items. The final building is dedicated to the history and every day and cultural life of the Area. Read more »

Dormition Cathedral and St Serafim Monument

  • 11 Istoricheskaya Ploschad

The most famous sight in Dmitrov is the Dormition Cathedral which was built between approximately 1509 and 1533 on the orders of Prince Yuri Ivanovich of Dmitri on the grounds of the city's kremlin. In form it comprises a standard white-stone, four-pillar, cross-in-square building with five golden domes. In addition to this four separate black-domed side-altars have been built onto each corner. Later, between 1793 and 1796 a bell tower was also added to the cathedral via a… Read more »

Nikolskie Gates

  • near 4 Ulitsa Professionalnaya

In 2004 a reconstruction of the ancient wooden St Nicholas (Nikolskie) Gates of the Dmitri Kremlin was completed. The original gates were destroyed centuries ago and as inspiration for the design a painting by Apollinari Vasnetsov entitled ‘Dmitrov in the 16th Century’ was used. However this new reconstruction was not to last for long, in 2010 the gates were destroyed in a fire. The third reincarnation of the gates was completed in the same year among some controversy as to whether… Read more »

Ss Cyril and Methodius Monument

  • outside 11 Istoricheskaya Ploschad

Also inside the kremlin mound is a statue to Ss Cyril and Methodius. Ss Cyril and Methodius were brothers from Byzantium who set about on a mission to convert the Slavs in Bulgaria and Moravia to Orthodoxy. In order to translate the Bible into the local language St Cyril invented an alphabet which would develop into the Cyrillic alphabet, the alphabet of modern Russia and other Slavic languages. Read more »

St Elizabeth's Church

  • 5 Istoricheskaya Ploschad

St Elizabeth's Church is the second religious building within the Kremlin. It was constructed in 1898 next to the district prison. The church was built in the neoclassical style comprising two tent-domes. It was closed in 1925 and used for various activities including as a warehouse which led to its original interior being lost. In 1998 the church was returned to the Church and underwent restoration work. Read more »