Sights in Krasnoselsky District

  The Krasnoselsky District is located in the north-east of Moscow's Central Administrative District between the Meschansky District and the Basmanny District. It is named after the village of Krasnoe Selo which was once located here before being incorporated into Moscow. The main streets here are Ulitsa Myasnitskaya and Ulitsa Krasnoprudskaya.  Three of Moscow's railway stations are located in this district.   The district is served by the Chistye Prudy (red line), Turgenevskaya (orange line), Sretensky Bulvar (light green), Krasnye Vorota (red line), Komsomolskaya (red and circle line) and Krasnoselskaya (red line) metro stations.

Around Chistye Prudy Metro Station

Abai Qunanbayuli Monument

  • Chistoprudny Bulvar
  • Chistye Prudy, Turgenevskaya

Near to the boulevard's ponds is a statue of the Kazakh poet, composer and philosopher Abai Qunanbayuli (also transliterated as Kunanbaev), who is to Kazakhstan what Pushkin is to Russia.  As well as writing his own poems and books of philosophy,  Qunanbayuli also translated works of Russians and Westerners into the Kazakh language. This statue was unveiled here as the Kazakh embassy is located nearby. In 2012 the statue, and indeed the poet himself, became more widely known about… Read more »

Aleksandr Griboedov Monument

  • Chistoprudny Bulvar

Standing at the end of Chistoprudny Bulvar nearest Ulitsa Myasnitskaya is a statue of the diplomat, playwright and poet Aleksandr Griboedov. The monument was erected in 1959 on the 130th anniversary of his death during the massacre of the Russian diplomatic mission in Tehran triggered by the mission refusing to give up three Armenian refugees. The base of the pedestal is decorated with characters from his comedy 'Woe from Wit'. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Krasnoselsky… Read more »

Clean Pond

  • Chistoprudny Bulvar

At the end of Chistoprudny Bulvar is the Clean Pond which gives the boulevard its name - chistie (clean) prudy (ponds) - the Russian name is in the plural even though there is now only one main pond. The ponds became known as Clean Ponds in the early 18th century when Prince Aleksandr Menshikov ordered for them to be cleaned up. Today the pond and boulevard is a popular gathering point for people and has especially gained a reputation for goths, rockers and punks. In winter the… Read more »

Menshikov Tower and St Theodore Stratelates' Church

  • 15A Arkhangelsky Pereulok

Just off Chistoprudny Bulvar is the baroque Archangel Gabriel's Church which is better known as Menshikov Tower after Prince Aleksandr Menshikov who ordered its building. The tower was completed in 1707 when it measured 81 metres high - equal to the height of the Kremlin's Ivan the Great Bell Tower. It was also topped with a 30 metre spire but this has since been demolished. In 1806 the tower was joined by St Theodore Stratelates' Church which was built as the complex's winter… Read more »

Moscow Lights Museum

  • 3-5c1 Armyansky Pereulok
  • 11:00 - 18:00 (Thursdays: 11:00 - 20:00). In summer closed on Sundays and Mondays.

The Moscow Lights Museum was opened in 1980 and is dedicated to various forms of lights throughout the centuries. It includes metal instruments know as a svetets which were used for holding rushlights, oil and kerosene lamps and later examples of electric lamps. Both indoor lamps and street lighting are represented. The museum is popular with children who are allowed to handle several of the museum's items. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Krasnoselsky District Read more »

Perlov Tea House

  • 19 Ulitsa Myasnitskaya

The Perlov Tea House was built between 1890 and 1893 and in 1896 the building was renovated to make it look like a traditional Chinese building. The building is named after its founder - the merchant Sergey Perlov. After the Revolution the shop was nationalised and fell into disrepair until a decision was finally taken in the 1990s to overhaul the building. In 2012 the renovation work was completed and the shop now once again trades various types of teas and coffees. ►sights by… Read more »

St Nicholas' Church in Derbenevo

  • 11c1 Ulansky Pereulok

A wooden church dedicated to St Nicholas has stood here in the area historically known as Derbenevo since at least 1635, but this was replaced between 1711 and 1715 with the current stone version. In the late 18th century a bell tower and walls were added and in the late 19th century the refectory was rebuilt. In 1927 the church was closed and its walls and bell tower were demolished in the same decade. In 1994 worship began again and the church underwent much-needed reconstruction… Read more »

Vladimir Lenin as a Student Monument

  • 6 Perulok Ogorodnaya Sloboda

Yet another Lenin statue is located outside the Palace of Children's Creativity on Pereulok Ogorodnaya Sloboda, but this one differs from the thousands of other standard Lenin statues as it depicts a young Lenin when he was a student. The statue was completed in 1950 and its sculptor received the Lenin prize for his work, however it was only put on display in 1970. In 2008 the statue was damaged by a falling tree, but it was restored and replaced the subsequent year. ►sights by… Read more »

Around Komsomolskaya Metro Station

Kazansky Railway Station

  • 2 Komsomolskaya Ploschad
  • Komsomolskaya

One of the three railway stations on Komsomolskaya Ploschad is the Kazansky Railway Station, which is the busiest railway station in Moscow.  Previously the station was known as the Ryazansky Railway Station which was opened in 1864. The current Kazansky Railway Station was built between 1913 and 1940 according to the design of the architect Aleksey Schusev.  It is topped with the dragon Zilant which is depicted on the ancient coat of arms of Kazan.  Schusev drew many of life-size… Read more »

Leningradskaya Hotel

  • 21 Ulitsa Kalanchyovskaya
  • Komsomolskaya

Another of the gothic Stalin skyscrapers commonly referred to as the Seven Sisters is the Leningradskaya Hotel which is located just off Komsomolskaya Ploschad and close to the three railway stations. The hotel was built between 1949 and 1954 and, although it is the smallest of the seven sisters, it still has 17 floors and stands at 136 metres high. Today the hotel is run as the Hilton Moscow Leningradksaya. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Krasnoselsky District Read more »

Leningradsky Railway Station

  • 3 Komsomolskaya Ploschad
  • Komsomolskaya

Leningradsky Railway Station is Moscow's first and oldest railway station.  It was first opened in 1849 although then of course under a different name – the Nikolaevsky Railway Station - in honour of Tsar Nicholas I. The station linked St Petersburg with Moscow and St Petersburg's Moskovsky Railway Station is the mirror image of this station.  Both stations were designed by Konstantin Ton, the architect behind the original Christ the Saviour Cathedral, the Grand Kremlin Palace and… Read more »

Pavel Melnikov Monument

  • Komsomolskaya Ploschad
  • Komsomolskaya

Standing in the centre of Komsomolsky Ploschad is a statue of Pavel Melnikov. Melnikov was a Russian engineer who was heavily involved in the creation and development of the Russian railways by overseeing the construction of part of the St Petersburg-Moscow railway and then serving as transport minister from 1866 to 1869. This monument to him was unveiled in 2003, fittingly among three of Moscow's nine railway stations. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Krasnoselsky District … Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument

  • Komsomolskaya Ploschad
  • Komsomolskaya

The bust of Vladimir Lenin may have been removed from inside Leningradsky Railway Station, but this statue of the Soviet leader situated in between Leningradsky and Yaroslavsky Railway Stations has so far survived.  The standard Lenin statue commemorates his arrival in Moscow after the Revolution.  A more recent monument to be erected in this area is the monument of St George slaying the dragon which was unveiled during the 2011 renovation of the railway station where unsightly… Read more »

Yaroslavsky Railway Station

  • 5 Komsomolskaya Ploschad
  • Komsomolskaya

The third railway station located on Komsomolsky Ploschad is Yaroslavsky Railway Station. It was opened in 1862 as Troitsky Railway Station. It was renamed Yaroslavsky in 1870 but then once more renamed Severny (Northern) in 1922. It regained the name Yaroslavsky in 1955. Its present day building was built between 1902 and 1904 in the Russian Revival style based on the design by the architect Feodor Shekhtel. Out of all of Moscow's railway stations, Yaroslavsky Railway Station… Read more »

Around Krasnoselskaya Metro Station

Former Novo-Alekseevsky Convent

  • 3-7 2-y Krasnoselsky Pereulok
  • Krasnoselskaya

Straddling both sides of the Third Ring Road is a church ensemble which once was part of the Novo-Alekseevsky Convent. The original Alekseevsky Convent was founded in 1360 by Metropolitan Alexius where the Zachatievsky Convent now stands. The convert was moved to where the Christ the Saviour Cathedral stands today in the 16th century and then in 1837 it was once more moved to Krasnoe Selo next to the 17th century Exaltation of the Cross Church. Upon this final move it was renamed… Read more »

Intercession Church in Krasnoe Selo

  • 12 Ulitsa Nizhnyaya Krasnoselskaya
  • Krasnoselskaya

There has been an Intercession Church in Krasnoe Selo, since around the 15th century when Krasnoe Selo was still a village outside of Moscow.  The current version of the church dates from 1701 and was built in the empire style.  In 1934 the church was closed  and was heavily damaged upon being converted for the needs of a factory.  It was only returned to the Orthodox Church in 1996 in a semi-ruined state.  Restoration work was fully completed in 2009. ►sights by districts  … Read more »

Around Krasnye Vorota Metro Station

Mikhail Lermontov Monument

  • Lermontovskaya Skver
  • Krasnye Vorota

Located in the small park on Lermontovskaya Ploschad (Lermontov Square) is a statue of the great Russian poet Mikhail Lermontov, which was unveiled in 1956 on the 150th anniversary of his birth. The location of the statue is not incidental as it was approximately here that Lermontov was born. However the house where he was born no longer exists having been replaced by the Stalin Skyscraper. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Krasnoselsky District Read more »

Seasonal Worker Monument

  • Lermontovskaya Skver
  • Krasnye Vorota

Just behind the Mikhail Lermontov Monument is another, more unusual, monument - a statue of a seasonal worker. The monument was created on the orders of the Department of Communal Services for Moscow in 1929 to celebrate the workers who came to Moscow from neighbouring regions to find seasonal work. The location of this statue was also specifically chosen as a labour market was previously situated nearby. ►sights by districts  ►sights in Krasnoselsky District Read more »

Stalin Skyscraper at Krasnye Vorota

  • 21 Ulitsa Sadovaya-Spasskaya
  • Krasnye Vorota

The massive Administrative and Residential Building at Krasnye Vorota is one of the gothic Stalin skyscrapers commonly referred to as the Seven Sisters. It was built between 1947 and 1952 and has 24 floors in the central part. During the Soviet era the Ministry of Transport Construction was based here, but now the building holds the head office of Transstroy Corporation and residential apartments. One of the exits for Krasnye Vorota metro station is also located in the building. … Read more »