Sights of Bryansk

Along Prospekt Lenina

Bryansk Literary Museum

  • 14 Ulitsa Fokina
  • 10:00 – 17:00. Closed Sundays.

    Located inside a 19th-century mansion is the Bryansk Literary Museum which is dedicated to the literary achievements of citizens of Bryansk. Among its exhibitions it includes displays on the literary traditions of ancient Russia and on the 19th century poets Aleksey Konstantinovich Tolstoy and Fyodor Tyutchev, both of whom were born in what is now the Bryansk Region. One hall is even devoted to Aleksey Tolstoy's most famous character - Kozma Prutkov. The museum also has a… Read more »

Bryansk Museum of Art and Exhibition Centre

  • 39 Ulitsa Yemlyutina
  • 10:00 – 18:00. Closed on Mondays and the last Friday of the month.

The Bryansk Museum of Art was established in 1968 when it was decided to separate the regional museum's art collection so that it could be put on display in a museum devoted solely to art. As well as functioning as an exhibition centre, the museum's permanent displays contain over 9,000 items. Its exhibitions are dedicated to folk art, Russian paintings from the 19th and 20th centuries, sculptures, icons and glass and ceramic wares. Read more »

Bryansk State Regional Museum

  • Ploschad Partizan
  • 10:00 – 18:00. Closed on Mondays.

  Bryansk has had a regional museum since 1921 but it only moved to the massive monumental building on Ploschad Partizan (Partisan Square) in 1984. Its exhibits on the natural world include the skeleton of a mammoth, geological displays and stuffed animals in dioramas of their national habitats. The history section covers ancient weapons, the role of Bryansk's citizens in the Battle of Kulikovo Field, the Northern Wars, the Napoleonic War and the Second World War as well as the… Read more »

Fyodor Tyutchev Monument

  • next to 18 Prospekt Lenina

  The renowned poet and diplomat Fyodor Tyutchev was born in 1803 in the village of Ovstug which is located in what is now the Bryansk Region. This monument to him was erected in 2003 to commemorate the 130th anniversary of the death of the great poet. The statue stands opposite to the grand building of the Aleksey Tolstoy Bryansk Regional Theatre. Read more »

Holy Trinity Eparchial Cathedral

  • opposite 63 Prospekt Lenina

    Bryansk's previous eparchial cathedral was destroyed by the communists in 1962 and work on its replacement only started in 2007. In 2011 the cathedral's bell tower was completed and named Peresvet after the hero of the Battle of Kulikovo Field from Bryansk. There is also a statue of Aleksandr Peresvet on the first tier of the bell tower. Later in 2011 the lower floor of the cathedral was consecrated and services have been held there since the beginning of 2012. Work on the… Read more »

Monument to Internationalist-Soldiers

  • outside 1A Ulitsa Griboedova

  Just outside the Yuri Gagarin Bryansk Regional Palace of Child and Youth Creativity is a memorial to internationalist-soldiers, i.e. Soviet and Russian soldiers who died in the Afghan and Chechen Wars. It depicts three soldiers in the midst of battle. One of the soldiers has been injured and is being carried by his two comrades. The pedestal is engraved with names of soldiers from Bryansk who were killed in Afghanistan and Chechnya. Read more »

Monument to the Liberators of Bryansk

  • Ploschad Partizan

  This monument was unveiled on Ploschad Partizan (Partisan Square) in 1966 and dedicated to both the ordinary soldiers from Bryansk and the 60,000 and more partisans who operated from the forests surrounding the city. The central part of the monument has an eternal flame and a victorious soldier holding his machine gun in the air in victory standing in front of a giant plinth which reads "For our Soviet Motherland". To each side of this are additional statues depicting soldiers… Read more »

Resurrection of Christ Cathedral

  • opposite 63 Prospekt Lenina

  The Resurrection of Christ Church dates from 1741 when it was built as to be the cathedral of the Voskresensky Convent which was established in the 16th century. Twenty-five years after its construction the cathedral became a parish church as the Voskresensky Convent was dissolved. After the Revolution the church was used by the Orthodox Renovationist Church until 1938 when the cathedral was completely closed. It was restored in 1985 and shortly afterwards returned to the… Read more »

Transfiguration of the Saviour Church on the Graves

  • 98 Prospekt Lenina

  In Russian the Transfiguration of the Saviour Church is better known as the Spaso-Grobovskaya Church from the Russian word grob meaning grave as it was built on the graves of two bishops. It was built between 1900 and 1904 in the Russian revival style using the funds of a local merchant. In 1929 the church was closed and its black domes were destroyed and its interior damaged. After being used as a morgue and a house of science and technology it was eventually restored in 1985 to… Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument

  • Ploschad Lenina (in front of 35 Prospekt Lenina)

  On Ploschad Lenina (Lenin Square) around halfway up Prospekt Lenina (Lenin Prospect) is, as is only to be expected, a statue of Vladimir Lenin.  This statue depicts him with one hand in his coat pocket and one hand resting on a stand. The statue was unveiled in 1970 and is eight metres tall including the pedestal. The building behind Lenin is the City Administration and to the left of him is the Administration of the Bryansk Region. Read more »

Around Pokrovskaya Hill

1000th Anniversary of Bryansk Memorial

  • Pokrovskaya Hill, Ulitsa Pokrovskaya

  According to archaeological evidence it is believed that Bryansk dates from 985 meaning that it celebrated its millennium in 1985. The memorial located on Pokrovskaya Hill comprises several parts. The obelisk formed of three tall arches has the figure of a woman holding a hammer and sickle on the top and a statue of a soldier on each arch. In front of the obelisk overlooking the River Desna is a statue of two figures. The man on horseback is Aleksandr Peresvet a monk from Bryansk… Read more »

Gorno-Nikolsky Monastery

  • 8 Ulitsa Arsenalskaya

    The Gorno-Nikolsky Monastery was established in 2002 around St Nicholas' Church on the Hill, from which it gets its name. St Nicholas' Church itself dates from 1751 when it was built using the funds of local merchants to replace the ancient wooden church that stood there. Also on the territory of the monastery is the Archbishop's house which was built in 1870 and includes St Sergius' Church. Read more »

Intercession Cathedral

  • Pokrovskaya Hill, Ulitsa Pokrovskaya

  The Intercession Cathedral is the oldest surviving religious building in Bryansk having been completed in 1698 using the funds of a local landowner. The cathedral takes the form of a standard five-domed building but with an additional two storey building attached to the side. In 1918 the cathedral was closed and subsequently used as an archive. it was only returned to the Orthodox Church in 1993. Read more »

In the North of the City

Chernobyl Memorial

  • intersection of Ulitsa Duki and Ulista Tretyevo Iyulya

  As a result of the Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster of 1986, the Belgorod Region was mildly contaminated and many people who now live in the region were sent in to liquate the catastrophe and are now suffering from the effects of radiation poisoning. This poignant memorial was unveiled in 2006 on the 20th anniversary of the tragedy and consists of a giant globe with a huge crack running down the centre. Read more »

City of Military Glory Monument

  • Solovi Park, next to 70 Ulitsa Duki

  In 2010 Bryansk was awarded the title of a City of Military Glory for the heroism of its citizens and partisans during the Second World War and this monument was unveiled in the same year. The monument is the standard City of Military Glory Monument with a granite obelisk with the Russian double-headed eagle on the top. The obelisk is surrounded by four plinths with engravings of scenes from the Battle of Kulikovo Field, the Northern War, the Napoleonic War and finally the… Read more »

Kurgan of Immortality

  • Solovi Park, next to 70 Ulitsa Duki

  One of the symbols of Bryansk is the Kurgan of Immortality which is located in the Solovi Park. The 12 metre high kurgan (a Russian burial mound) was created in 1968 to commemorate the citizens of Bryansk who died protecting the freedom and independence of the Motherland during the Second World War. On top of the mound is a giant star decorated with a brightly coloured mosaic. Read more »

Museum of the Tkachev Brothers

  • 2 Ulitsa Kuibysheva
  • 10:00 – 18:00. Closed on Mondays and the last Friday of the month.

  This museum is dedicated to the artwork of brothers Andrey and Sergey Tkachev who were both named Honoured Artists of the USSR and were both born in the Bryansk Region. When the museum was opened in 1995 both brothers donated in total over 500 examples of their work which are now on display here. Read more »

Petro-Pavlovsky Convent

  • 14 Ulitsa Kulkova

The Petro-Pavlovsky Convent was founded by Prince Oleg of Bryansk (later canonised as St Oleg of Bryansk) in 1275 as a monastery.  Around half a millennium later it had most of its lands confiscated by Empress Catherine the Great and was finally dissolved in 1830. However, shortly afterwards in 1836, it was reopened as a convent upon the initiative of a group of local merchants. The convent was once again closed in 1923 and its St Elijah the Prophet's Church was destroyed to make… Read more »


Svensky Uspensky Monastery

  • 1 Ulitsa Frunze, Suponevo

  The Svensky Monastery was founded in 1288 by Prince Roman Mikhailovich of Bryansk who dedicated it to the Dormition ('Uspenie' in Russian) of the Virgin Mary. According to the legend surrounding the establishment of the monastery, Prince Roman was losing his sight and so sent for a copy of the wonderworking Our Lady of Pechersk Icon from the Kievo-Percherskaya Lavra in Kiev so that he could pray to it. As the party was returning with the icon to Bryansk along the River Desna, the… Read more »