Sights of Sviyazhsk

Around the Island

'Lenivy Torzhok' Historical Reconstruction Complex

  • Rozhdestvenskaya Ploschad
  • http://www.sviyajsk.ru

Situated on the island's main square - Rozhdestvenskaya Ploschad (Nativity Square) - is the Leninvy Torzhok Historical Reconstruction Complex which recreates for tourists the atmosphere of a mediaeval military camp. Visitors are given the chance to shoot an arrow and throw a spear and also have the opportunity to try their hand at making handicrafts of the era. The complex also has a themed café and souvenir stalls. Read more »

Bogoroditse-Uspensky Monastery

  • Ulitsa Uspenskaya
  • http://swmonastir.wix.com/ru

The Bogoroditse-Uspensky Monastery was founded in 1555 and its first archimandrite was the monk German who was later canonised as St German. In 1592 St German was laid to rest in the monastery and his tomb became its most sacred shrine. The monastery was mainly established for missionary work to convert the various peoples of the newly conquered Kazan Khanate to Orthodoxy and religious books were printed at the monastery and countless baptisms were performed here. Through… Read more »

Communards' Wall Monument

  • Rozhdestvenskaya Ploschad

  Also on Rozhdestvenskaya Ploschad is a very simple monument in the form of a wall engraved with the names of the Red Army soldiers who were killed in August 1918 on the orders of Lev Trotsky. Trotsky personally visited Sviyazhsk in August 1918 where Red Army troops were stationed after the White Army's capture of Kazan. Whilst there, it has been alleged that Trotsky had one in every ten soldiers in Sviyazhsk executed as punishment for desertion, reviving the old Roman form… Read more »

Handicraft Settlement at the Stables

  • Ulitsa Spasskaya
  • http://www.sviyajsk.ru

Opposite to the Sviyazhsky Uspensky Monastery is a courtyard which was previously used as stables ('konny dvor') but have now been converted into a handicraft settlement. The settlement features various craftsmen who demonstrate their craft including metal work, pottery, basket weaving, wood carving, and work with leather and textiles. Guests can also take part in an interactive show with the craftsmen and musicians. Also here is a restaurant and various handicraft and… Read more »

History of Sviyazhsk Museum

  • Ulitsa Uspenskaya
  • http://www.sviyajsk.ru

The main museum in Sviyazhsk is the History of Sviyazhsk Museum, which is located just up the street from the Sviyazhsky Uspensky Monastery in former governmental buildings built between 1838 and 1840. The museum has several exhibits detailing the history of the island from its foundation by Ivan the Terrible up to the Soviet era. On display are copies of historical documents, photographs, finds from archaeological digs and artwork inspired by the island. The museum also… Read more »

Ioanno-Predtechensky Monastery

  • Ulitsa Spasskaya
  • http://swmonastir.wix.com/ru

The Sviyazhsky Ioanno-Predtechensky Monastery was founded sometime in the 16th century as the Ioanno-Predtechensky Convent, which was also known as the Rozhdestvensky Convent. However in 1795 the whole convert was destroyed by fire and it was re-established in its current location which was formerly the site of the Sviyazhsky Troitse-Sergieva Monastery which was founded in 1551 but dissolved in 1764. After the move the convent grew in size and at its peak up there were up to… Read more »

Memorial to the Victims of Political Repression

  • Ulitsa Uspenskaya

Outside the Sviyazhsky Uspensky Monastery, overlooking the dam, is a simple monument to the victims of political repression, in particular those who lost their lives in Sviyazhsk. It comprises a two metre high white marble stela with an engraving of an imprisoned man releasing a dove from behind the bars. The location is especially symbolic as in 1936 the Sviyazhsky Uspensky Monastery was turned into correctional-work colony No. 5, part of the Gulag system of camps. Thousands… Read more »

Ss Constantine and Helena's Church

  • Ulitsa Konstantinovskaya

At the end of the island is Ss Constantine and Helena's Church and there has been a church dedicated to Ss Constantine and Helena on the island since the first one was built out of wood in 1551. At the end of the 17th century this was replaced with a stone version and a separate bell tower. These two structures were later joined by a vestibule in in early 18th century and a side-chapel was added in the 19th century. In 1940 the church was closed and it was only returned to… Read more »