The Sviyazhsky Ioanno-Predtechensky Monastery was founded sometime in the 16th century as the Ioanno-Predtechensky Convent, which was also known as the Rozhdestvensky Convent. However in 1795 the whole convert was destroyed by fire and it was re-established in its current location which was formerly the site of the Sviyazhsky Troitse-Sergieva Monastery which was founded in 1551 but dissolved in 1764. After the move the convent grew in size and at its peak up there were up to 400 nuns at the convent. In 1919 the convent was closed. In 2004 the territory of the former convent was reopened as a podvorye (embassy church) of the Sviyazhsky Uspensky Monastery.
Joy of All Who Sorrow Cathedral
The monastery's main cathedral, and one of the islands most famous sights, is the Joy of All Who Sorrow Cathedral. The cathedral was built between 1898 and 1906 in the Byzantine Revival Style, characterised for its squat domes on wide and low tholobates. The cathedral is constructed out of red brick and its domes are silver in colour. Currently the cathedral is undergoing restoration.
To the left of the Joy of All Who Sorrow Cathedral, next to the main entrance into the monastery, is the wooden Trinity Church which was built in 1551 at the same time as Sviyazh's fortress, making it the oldest orthodox church in Tatarstan. It is believed that Ivan the Terrible himself prayed here several times.
St Sergius of Radonezh's Church
To the right of the Joy of All Who Sorrow Cathedral is St Sergius of Radonezh's Church which was built in 1604 as part of the Sviyazhsky Troitse-Sergieva Monastery's refectory.
Tsarist Passion-Bearers Chapel
Built into the northern corner of the monastery's walls is the Tsarist Passion-Bearers Chapel. It was built between 1897 and 1901, also in the Byzantine Revival style.