This tour to Yoshkar-Ola will take you to the capital of the Republic of Mari-El -one of the most unusual cities in Russia. It is a small and comfortable city, and at less than 500 years old is relatively young; noting that it does not have many historical monuments, the local authority decided to compensate for this fact and build lots of new ones. A whole quarter of the city has been rebuilt in a distinctive style incorporating local national motives blended with elements of Venetian and Moorish architecture. Part of the complex involves a copy of the Moscow Kremlin’s Spasskaya Tower and a church which would look more at home in Bruges. Making this mix all the more unusual are many new statues, including some surprising choices, Grace Kelly, for example, and a copy of the Tsar-Cannon.
The Mari are a Finno-Ugric people and around 600,000 of them live in the Republic of Mari El. They speak the Mari language, which has several dialects despite the small number of speakers, and have their only cuisine, which is famed for its honey and dishes from wild boar.
This one day excursion to Yoshkar-Ola in the Republic of Mari El will give you the opportunity to find out more about Mari culture and this small but interesting Russian city and to admire its unusual architectural sights.
Kazan → Yoshkar-Ola → Kazan
Total distance of the tour: - 290km
• 09:00 •
Meeting with your guide. Transfer to Yoshkar-Ola.
• 11:30 •
Arrival in Yoshkar-Ola. Excursion around the city. The highlights of the tour include:
- Tsaryovokokshaisk Kremlin - this modern reconstruction stands on the site where the wooden fortress of Tsaryovokokshaisk - as Yoshkar-Ola was known until 1919 - once stood. The new version was built out of stone in 2009, making it the newest kremlin in Russia.
- National Museum of the Republic of Mari El - this museum is dedicated to the native population of the republic - the Mari, one of the few peoples in Russia who have kept their original pagan religion. On display are everyday Mari household items, national dress, Mari artwork and archaeological finds detailing ancient Mari culture.
- National Art Gallery - this building resembling a Venetian palace is one of the main sights in Yoshkar-Ola, partly thanks to its clock which chimes on the hour during the day and is accompanied by music and the appearance of a donkey with an icon. The building holds many works of art, including pieces by local artist Andrey Sannikov, who has painted many of the city’s modern sights.
- Gulag Museum - this unique museum is unlike any other in Russia. It is quite literally filled to the brim with artefacts detailing the running of Gulags during the darkest days of the Soviet era.
- Malaya Kokshaga Embankment - the historical centre of the city, which has been recreated following the end of the Soviet era. Now it has a completely new image consisting of an unusual blend of styles. Here you can see the influence of the traditional architectural styles of Amsterdam, Bruges and Venice blended with local Mari style, plus a few elements from Russian fairy tales!
Duration: 4 hours | Transportation: by a private car
After the tour - free time in the city.
• 17:00 •
Transfer back to Kazan.
• 19:30 •
Arrival in Kazan.
- The tour is available the whole year round starting on any day, but please take into account that the museum’s working hours and days-off vary so we reserve the right to change the itinerary while trying to save the excursion programme.
- Optional excursions should be booked before the start of the tour.
- Some religious sights such as active monasteries require a specific dress code in order to be allowed to visit - for women a scarf to cover your head and a skirt covering your knees (no trousers); for men no shorts and all headwear must be removed.
• CANCELLATION POLICY •
DATE OF CANCELLATION
(with respect to the date of the departure)
(with respect to the total price of the tour)
|FROM 60 TO 45 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||10%|
|FROM 44 TO 15 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||30%|
|FROM 14 TO 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||50%|
|LESS THAN 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||100%|