This one-day trip to Ulyanovsk from Kazan will acquaint you with the birthplace of one of the most influential people of the 20th century - Vladimir Lenin. Lenin was born as Vladimir Ulyanov in the city of Simbirsk in 1870 and upon his death in 1924 Simbirsk was renamed Ulyanovsk in his honour. During the Soviet era, the city became the destination of a type of communist pilgrimage, as busloads of tourists came to visit the enormous Lenin Museum that was built over the house where Lenin was born. Today, a large part of the city’s sights are connected with Lenin, but this does not mean the city is only of interest of die-hard communists. In fact the city can be seens as a time capsule as the street where Lenin grew up is now a historical reserve and will transport you to the late 19th century, while the visiting the Lenin Museum will take you back to the Soviet era.
However on this tour of Ulyanovsk, you will also visit other, non-Lenin-related sights the city has to offer. Ulyanovsk is often called the home of Russian civil aviation as passenger and cargo planes are produced in the city, and it has Russia’s only institute of civil aviation. In this connection you will visit the Museum of the History of Civil Aviation, whose unique collection comprises some of the earliest examples of Soviet planes, the first TU-144 supersonic airliner, and a Tu-116 designed especially for Nikita Khruschev.
The city also has some interesting monuments. For example a monument to the letter Ё (yo), as the addition of the two dots to distinguish ё (yo) from е (ye) was popularised by the historian Nikolai Karamzin who lived in Simbirsk and was born nearby.
Kazan → Ulyanovsk → Kazan
Total distance of the tour: - 418km
• 07:00 •
Meeting with your guide. Transfer to Ulyanovsk.
• 11:00 •
Arrival in Ulyanovsk. Excursion around the city. The highlights of the tour include:
- Ulyanovsk Regional Museum - this museum is located in an early 20th renaissance-style estate house - one of the most beautiful buildings in the city.
- Lenin Memorial-Museum - Russia’s main museum dedicated to the life and work of Vladimir Lenin and the Soviet epoch. It is built around the very house where Lenin was born.
- Birthplace of Lenin Museum-Reserve - this museum-reserve immerses you in the atmosphere of a 19th century merchant city as the pre-revolution appearance of the whole street where Lenin once lived has been preserved, so much so that you could easily film a historical film here.
- Bokounin House - this century old building was once home to one of Simbirsk’s most famous merchants. The form and decoration of the house is reminiscent of something out of a Russian fairy-tale, with a tent roof over the entrance and carved wooden frames around the large windows and eaves of the roof.
- Museum of the History of Civil Aviation - here you will find a unique collection of Soviet civil aircraft, both planes and helicopters, some of which are possible to look around inside.
Duration: 5 hours | Transportation: by a private car
• 16:00 •
After the tour - transfer back to Kazan.
• 19:00 •
Arrival in Kazan.
- The tour is available the whole year round starting on any day, but please take into account that the museum’s working hours and days-off vary so we reserve the right to change the itinerary while trying to save the excursion programme.
- Optional excursions should be booked before the start of the tour.
- Some religious sights such as active monasteries require a specific dress code in order to be allowed to visit - for women a scarf to cover your head and a skirt covering your knees (no trousers); for men no shorts and all headwear must be removed.
• CANCELLATION POLICY •
DATE OF CANCELLATION
(with respect to the date of the departure)
(with respect to the total price of the tour)
|FROM 60 TO 45 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||10%|
|FROM 44 TO 15 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||30%|
|FROM 14 TO 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||50%|
|LESS THAN 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||100%|