Sights of Serpukhov

The historical centre of Serpukhov is  known as Sobornaya Gora (Cathedral Mount), or Krasnaya Gora (Red Mount) to give it is Soviet-era name. It was here that Serpukhov's Kremlin once stood and most of the city's sights can be found.  Apart from this the main streets of interest for tourists are Sovietskaya Ulitsa, which runs down from the railway station to Sobornaya Gora, and Ulitsa Chekhova, Moskovskaya Ulitsa and Kaluzhskaya Ulitsa, which run parallel to each other between Sobornaya Gora up towards the Vysotsky Monastery, which can be reach on foot or by bus.  Kaluzhskaya Ulitsa is a pretty street with lots of wooden houses and is worth visiting for this alone.  There are less sights located in the part of Serpukhov west of the River Nara, but it is worth coming here to see the Vladychny Convent.  The convent can be reached by either walking all the way down Ulitsa Oktyabrskaya or by getting bus No. 4 or a minibus to "Oktyabrskoe" which runs from the railway station, the convent is the last stop.

The village (mestechko) of Danki is located 12km from Serpukhov and the main entrance to the Prioksko-Terrasny Nature Reserve, which is famous for its zubr breeding programme, is located here. Danki can be reached by bus from Serpukhov's railway station. There are three buses which run here: No. 25 (Serpukhov-Danki), No. 31 (Serpukhov-Turovo) and No. 41 (Serpukhov-Zibrovo). Get off at the stop "Zapovednik"; this is the last stop on bus No. 25. The buses are not very frequent - about one every 1.5 hours.

Around the Centre

Former Duma

  • 31/33 Ulitsa Sovetskaya

The pretty blue building on Ulitsa Sovetskaya is Serpukhov’s former City Duma and then the House of Soviets. It was constructed in 1860 and in its time has heard speeches from leading revolutionary figures such as Mikhail Kalinin and John Reed, in whose honour a nearby street is named. The building now has no civil function and is used by a local business. Read more »

Former Raspyatsky Convent

  • 40 Ulitsa Kalyuzhskaya

The ruins located on Ulitsa Kaluzhskaya are all that remains of the Raspyatsky Convent. The convent was founded in 1665 and but closed by Empress Catherine the Great in 1751. Now it is possible to wall around and look at the monastery's bell tower, gate and the Crucifixion Cathedral, all these structures though are in desperate need of repair and no longer function. Read more »

Intercession Old-Believers Church

  • 83 Ulitsa Chekhova

The Intercession Old-Believers Church was constructed in 1910, using the funds of Anna Maraeva, who also founded the neighbouring art gallery. The church is now part of the Serpukhov Historical-Art Museum which organises visits to see its beautiful iconostasis. Read more »

Prince Vladimir the Brave of Serpukhov Monument

  • Sovetskaya Ploschad

Half-way down Sovetskaya Ulitsa is Sovetskaya Ploschad (Soviet Square) where there is now a monument to Serpukhov's most celebrated prince - Prince Vladimir the Brave of Serpukhov. Prince Vladimir was born in 1353, 40 days after the death of his father Prince Andrey of Serpukhov, a son of Grand Prince Ivan I Kalita of Vladimir and Moscow. He was raised in Moscow with his cousin Dmitri Ivanovich (later known as Dmitri Donskoy) under the guardianship of Patriarch Alexius, who… Read more »

Serpukhov Historical and Art Museum

  • 87 Ulitsa Chekova

The Serpukhov Historical-Art Museum is located on Ulitsa Chekhova not far from the Vysotsky Monastery. The museum is located in a former stately home and houses one of the Moscow Region's finest art galleries. A great deal of the collection came from the private collection of the factory owner Anna Maraeva and boasts works by many renowned Russian artists.  The museum's courtyard also displays some exhibits, including old gravestones. Read more »

St Nicholas' Cathedral

  • 26/12 Ulitsa Kalyuzhskaya

The white single-domed St Nicholas' Cathedral with a column façade and attached bell tower is the eparchial church of the Serpukhov Vicar-Eparchy of the Moscow Regional Eparchy. It was constructed between 1833 and 1857, closed in 1929 and then returned to the Church in 1995. Since then it has been completely restored to its former glory. Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument

  • Ploschad Lenina

Ploschad Lenina (Lenin Square) is located on Moskovskaya Ulitsa and, as is to be expected, a Lenin statue stands there in the centre of the square in front of the 19th century Gostiny Dvor building (trading arcade).  Lenin is rather dwarfed by the fir trees growing behind him. Read more »

Vysotsky Monastery

  • 5/3 ulitsa Kaluzhskaya
  • http://visotskymonastir.ru

Vysotsky Monastery was founded in 1374 by Prince Vladimir Andreevich the Brave of Serpukhov with the blessing of St Sergius (Sergi) of Radonezh. Much of the monastery was destroyed in Crimean raids in 1571 and subsequently rebuilt. During the Soviet period the monastery was closed and even at one point used as a barracks. Now the monastery has been returned to its former glory surrounded by large white walls and is once again a functioning monastery. The monastery has a… Read more »

Around the Kremlin Mound

Church Ensemble

  • Dormition Church - 2 ulitsa Volodarskogo; St Elijah the Prophet's Church - 4 ulitsa Volodarskogo; Trinity Church - 5 Ulitsa Sittsenabivnaya

From the summit of Sobornaya Gora an ensemble of three beautiful churches is visible, each of them wonderful examples of Moscow architecture. The first of these is the red, white and silver Dormition Church which was completed in the Moscow baroque style in 1854 using the funds of a local factory owner. Behind this is the yellow, green and white St Elijah the Prophet's Church which dates from 1748. It was the only church in Serpukhov not to have been closed during the Soviet… Read more »

Serpukhov Kremlin

  • Ulitsa Krasnaya Gora

The Serpukhov Kremlin was constructed in 1556 on the orders of Grand Prince Vasili III of Moscow to protect Moscow's southern borders from Crimean Tatar raids. Once the Crimean threat was eradicated the Kremlin slowly fell into disrepair. Even by the 19th century it was considered ruins and its stone was taken for local needs. The final blow was dealt in 1934 when the Bolsheviks decided to use the remainder of the Kremlin's stone as building material for the Moscow Metro. Now… Read more »

Danki

Prioksko-Terrasny Biosphere Nature Reserve

  • Danki, Serpukhovsky District
  • http://www.danki.ru/
  • 09:00 - 15:00. Daily.

In the village of Danki just outside of Serpukhov is the Prioksko-Terrasny Biosphere Nature Reserve which occupies almost 5,000 hectares on the left-side of the River Oka. It was established in 1945 and in 1979 was included in UNESCO's Man and the Biosphere Programme. The reserve is especially famous for its herd of European bison known as zubr which can be visited as part of an excursion. Tickets can be bought at the excursion centre at the entrance to the park in Danki. … Read more »

West of the River Nara

Vladychny Convent

  • 40 Ulitsa Oktyabrskaya
  • http://inokini.ru/

The Vladychny Convent was established as the Vladychny Monastery in 1360 by Metropolitan Alexius (Aleksi) of Moscow, during his guardianship of Prince Vladimir Andreevich of Serpukhov. In 1598 the monastery was used as the base of Tsar Boris Godunov during his successful campaign to drive the invading Crimean Tatars out of Russian lands. To show his gratitude Tsar Boris subsequently became a great benefactor to the monastery and much of the Vladychny Convent - including the… Read more »