The Vladychny Convent was established as the Vladychny Monastery in 1360 by Metropolitan Alexius (Aleksi) of Moscow, during his guardianship of Prince Vladimir Andreevich of Serpukhov. In 1598 the monastery was used as the base of Tsar Boris Godunov during his successful campaign to drive the invading Crimean Tatars out of Russian lands. To show his gratitude Tsar Boris subsequently became a great benefactor to the monastery and much of the Vladychny Convent - including the main Presentation of Mary Cathedral and the St George's Church - was built during this period using the funds donated by the Tsar. It was only in 1806 that the monastery was turned into a convent, which it is now once more having been closed during the Soviet Period and subsequently reopened in 1995. The main entrance to the convent is through the Holy Gates and then under the St Theodotus of Ancyra's Gate-Church.
Presentation of Mary Cathedral
The convent's Presentation of Mary Cathedral was originally built in 1360 by St Varlaam of Serpukhov but replaced with a stone version in 1362. Much of the current version dates from the late 16th century when it was considerably rebuilt under Tsar Boris Godunov. Architecturally, it is a traditional four-pillar building with five black domes. Inside, the cathedral houses the tomb and relics of St Varlaam of Serpukhov.
St George's Church
St George's Church was built in the late 16th century on the orders of Tsar Boris Godunov to commemorate the role the monastery played in his battles against the Crimea Tatars. It is an excellent example of the Godunov style architecture, complete with a tent-dome roof. The church has a revered copy of the Inexhaustible Chalice Icon, which is said to help cure alcoholism. The original of this Icon was once held at the convent until it was lost during the Soviet period, along with other relics.
|Location||40 Ulitsa Oktyabrskaya|