Vladimir and Suzdal are two of the most visited cities on the Golden Ring of Russia and it is no surprise as to why. In just two hours from Moscow you can find yourself among the rich history of the Russian provincial cities as well as fresh air and pure white snow in winter or endless green fields in summer. This trip will allow you to escape the chaos of the capital and immerse yourself in the history and architecture of mediaeval Rus. The tour includes excursions around the main sights of the cities.
It is possible to continue this tour with a trip to other cities on the Golden Ring, to St Petersburg or on the Trans-Siberian Railway.
Total distance of the tour: 462km - 382km | 80km
SATURDAY | VLADIMIR
09:30 | Departure from Moscow’s Kursky Railway Station to Vladimir.
You should bear in mind that Kursky Railway Station is one of the most confusing railway stations in Moscow as the trains from here serve two directions. Your train will leave from the left side of the platform.
The train only makes a 2-minute stop in Vladimir, so get ready to leave in advance. Your driver with a sign saying will wait for you outside your carriage.
City tour of Vladimir – on this tour you will visit the main sights of the city:
- Dormition Eparchial Cathedral – this is an outstanding monument of Rus before the Mongol-Tatar Invasion, dating from 1189. It is one of the few churches where frescos by Andrey Rublev have survived.
- St Demetrius’ Cathedral – another masterpiece of ancient Russian architecture. It was built in 1197. 556 carved stones decorate the cathedral and create a magical view of the world where Christian motives stand side by side with more pagan images.
- Golden Gates – this structure includes a triumphal arch and a gate-church which was built in 1164 during the reign of Andrey Bogolyubsky. It is a unique monument of ancient Rus military architecture. Similar gates were erected in Kiev at the time, but these have not survived.
Duration: 2h | Transportation: by a private car
Transfer from Vladimir to your hotel in Suzdal.
Night in Suzdal.
• OPTIONAL EXTRA • VLADIMIR •
|Guided tour of Bogolyubovo|
Duration: 2 hours | Transportation: by a private car
|Russian Banya Experience|
Duration: 2 hours
SUNDAY | SUZDAL
Breakfast at your hotel.
City tour of Suzdal - the highlights of the tour include:
- Suzdal Kremlin – the most ancient part of Suzdal from where the city began. It is situated in the south of the city on the bank of the River Kamenki. Based on information contained in chronicles, the Suzdal Kremlin has existed since at least 1024 and archaeological evidence suggests it even dates from the 10th century.
- Nativity of the Virgin Mary Cathedral – this cathedral was built in 1225 on the foundations of an even older building. It is believed that the former church was built during the reign of Vladimir Monomakh. The cathedral is the oldest surviving building in the city.
- Spaso-Yefimiev Monastery – in the past Suzdal was surrounded by 15 monasteries and the Spaso-Yefimiev Monastery is just one of the five monasteries which survive today. It was founded in 1352 and today it is one of the main sights in the city as it is now a museum. In imperial and Soviet times the monastery even held a prison.
- Museum of Wooden Architecture – many wooden buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries have been brought here from all over the Vladimir Region. By walking around the buildings you will get a good picture of how the Russian provinces looked in the 19th century.
Duration: 3½ h | Transport: by a private car.
At the end of the excursion you will have free time in the city.
19:00 | Transfer from Suzdal to the railway station in Vladimir.
20:12 | Lastochka express train to Moscow.
The train stops in Vladimir for just 2 minutes so make sure you are ready to get on before it stops.
22:00 | Arrival in Moscow.
- The tour is planned for starting on Saturday and ending on Sunday, but it is possible on any day except for Monday when the museums are closed.
- Optional excursions should be booked before the start of the tour to schedule the itinerary.
- Tickets to museums cannot be sold without an excursion with a guide.
- The tour is available in other languages upon request.
- During the high season (from May to September) and on public holidays we recommend you book in advance as Vladimir and Suzdal are popular tourist destinations.
- All excursions/guided tours included in the itinerary are private which means private guides and private transport along the programme - unless otherwise stated.
- The excursions are held by local guides.
- The tour is suitable for travellers with children.
- Best time to travel on this route: from the end of April to mid-October and from December to mid-March.
• CANCELLATION POLICY •
DATE OF CANCELLATION
|FROM 60 TO 45 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||10%|
|FROM 44 TO 15 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||30%|
|FROM 14 TO 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||50%|
|LESS THAN 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||100%|