A day tour to the Lena Pillars from Yakutsk will seem like a trip to a different planet. Here nature has created a massive wall of rocks which stands imposingly over the River Lena. The Lena Pillars are a spectacular rock formation with runs for approximately 40 kilometres and reach heights of 300 metres. The highest concentration of pillars are between the villages of Petrovskoe and Tit-Ary. These wonderful, naturally-created rocks even in places resemble more man-made structures such as towers, arches, cathedrals and castles and you can’t help but be amazed. You can sometimes even see what looks like figures depicted in the rocks.
The pillars are thought to have been created 400,000 years ago. Today the whole area is protected by UNESCO as the Lena Pillars World Heritage Site.
Yakutsk → Lena Pillars National Reserve → Yakutsk
Total distance of the tour: 369km - 360km | 9km
• 08:00 •
Departure from Yakutsk to the village of Batamai. During the transfer you will enjoy beautiful views of winter Yakutia. You will have a short break to look at ancient rock paintings and a grotto. For part of the transfer you will drive over the frozen River Lena, which becomes a road in winter and significantly cuts the travelling time.
• 13:00 •
Arrival in Batamai – this small settlement is located directly opposite the Lena Pillars. From here you can only cross the Lena by snowmobile, as a car cannot travel over the ice ridges which form on the frozen river. You won't have to drive the snowmobiles yourself and an experienced driver will take you across. You will sit in a special trailer attached to the snowmobile and this bumpy ride is also the coldest part of your trip. It takes around 20 minutes to cross one of the largest rivers in the world.
Upon arrival in the National Park you will have lunch in a heated cabin.
You will then have free time to walk around this amazing place – you can walk along the pillars on the frozen river or climb to the top via a staircase, but bear in mind that in bad weather the staircase can be difficult to use or even dangerous.
• 16:00 •
Return to Batamai on the snowmobiles.
• 16:30 •
Transfer to Yakutsk. It will already be getting dark as you begin your trip back.
• 21:30 •
Arrival in Yakutsk.
- It is possible to go to the Lena Pillars on the winter route across the frozen Lena from December to April.
- The most popular time for this trip is when it is at its coldest in December and January. The average temperature then is -38 to -42.
- As Yakutia experiences extremely cold temperatures in winter you must be properly dressed for the trip – layers are important.
- Your meal will consist of a packed lunch.
- We recommend you take extra batteries for your camera as the cold temperatures mean the batteries run out quicker.
- Accompaniment of a guide-translator is not included in the price. Cost of guide service: USD150 • EUR132 • GBP113. The tour is available in other languages upon request.
• CANCELLATION POLICY •
DATE OF CANCELLATION
|FROM 60 TO 45 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||10%|
|FROM 44 TO 15 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||30%|
|FROM 14 TO 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||50%|
|LESS THAN 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||100%|
• COST OF THE TOUR •
|PRICE PER GROUP||1-2 PAX||3-4 PAX||5-6 PAX||7-8 PAX|
- Transfer: Yakutsk – Batamai – Yakutsk.
- Transfer on snowmobile across the River Lena.
- Packed lunch with Yakut national food.
- Gratuities (optional)