The Oreshek Fortress is an island fortress located at the mouth of the River Neva on Lake Ladoga across from the city of Shlisselburg. The fortress was built in 1323 by Grand Prince Yuri Danilovich of Moscow in this strategic location protecting the trade route from the Neva to the Gulf of Finland. For almost 90 years in the 17th century the fortress was under the control of the Swedish, who called it Nöteborg, but was recaptured by Peter the Great in 1702 marking the victory of the Northern War.
Following the construction of the fortifications of Krondstadt, Oreshek lost its defensive role and instead became a jail for political prisoners. High-profile prisoners include Peter the Great’s half-sister Maria Alekseevna and his first wife Yevdokia Lopukhina, Emperor Ivan IV and Lenin’s older brother Aleksandr, who was executed here for his role in the attempt on the life of Emperor Alexander I. In the whole history of the prison only one person managed to escape, although he was caught soon after.
On the tour you will be accompanied with a guide from St Petersburg.
St Petersburg → Shliselburg → St Petersburg
Total distance of the tour: 110km - 108km | 2km
• 10:00 •
10:00 Meeting with your guide at the lobby of your hotel. Transfer to Shliselburg.
• 11:00 •
11:00 | Arrival in Shlisselburg. Transfer to the island by boat.
Guided tour of the Oreshek Fortress - the highlights of the tour include:
- Old Prison and Secret House – from 1756 to his mysterious death in 1764, Emperor Ivan VI was held here following the coup of Empress Elizabeth. He was kept here is secrecy and among tight security – almost a Russian equivalent of the Man in the Iron Mask. In the 19th century Decembrists, members of People’s Will and other revolutionaries or terrorists were sent here. The inmate who spent the longest time here was Valerian Lukasanisky – who fought for Polish freedom. He spent 38 years in Shlisselburg from 1830 to 1868 and died here.
- New Prison – this was built in 1884 after the assassination of Alexander II consisting of 40 cells especially for members of the People's Will group. At first the New Prison had the toughest regime - no correspondence or exercise, absolute silence and punishment for even the most minor breaches.
- Courtyard – here prisoners were executed. Most famously Lenin’s elder brother Aleksandr was executed here, which went on to have a great influence on Lenin's political views.
• 14:00 •
14:00 | Transfer to Shlisselburg by boat.
Transfer to your hotel in St Petersburg.
• OPTIONAL EXTRA • SHLISELBURG •
|Road of life|
Duration: 4 hours | Transportation: by a private car
• 15:00 •
Arrival in St Petersburg.
- The tour is available from May till October.
- The tour is available in - other languages upon request.
• CANCELLATION POLICY •
DATE OF CANCELLATION
|FROM 60 TO 45 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||10%|
|FROM 44 TO 15 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||30%|
|FROM 14 TO 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||50%|
|LESS THAN 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||100%|
• COST OF THE TOUR •
|PRICE PER GROUP||1-2 PAX||3-4 PAX||5-6 PAX||7-8 PAX|
- Individual excursions according to the programme.
- Transfers in a private car according to the programme.
- Entrance tickets to the museums
- Gratuities (optional)