Sights of Belozersk

Around Sovetsky Prospekt

Belozersk Kremlin

  • Ulitsa Gorodskoy Val

Belozersk's historical centre is located within its old kremlin, of which only the earthen mounds remain.  The mounds were erected in the 15th century during the reign of Grand Prince Ivan III.  Originally a wooden kremlin stood on top of the mounds with five towers and three gates.  It was demolished in the 18th century due to its dilapidated condition.   The main entrance into the kremlin today is via the 19th century bridge on the eastern side of the earthen mounds.  Just… Read more »

Belozersk Regional Museum

  • 28 Ulitsa Frunze
  • Summer: 10:00 - 18:00. Winter: 10:00 - 17:30 and closed on Sundays.

The Belozersk Regional Museum has several branches across the city and the branch located in the 19th century former city college on Ulitsa Frunze is home to a history exhibition and an exhibition hall.  The history exhibition was opened in 2012 and details the past of the city and includes models of how the kremlin and the city's churches once looked at their prime.  The second floor consists of an exhibition hall which displays work of artists, including many from the Vologda… Read more »

Dormition Cathedral and Epiphany Church Complex

  • corner of Ulitsa Karla Marksa and Ulitsa Lenina

Belozersk's principal working cathedral is the Dormition Cathedral which is located on Ulitsa Karla Marksa as part of a church complex with the Epiphany Church. Dormition Cathedral Work on the construction on the Dormition Cathedral began in 1553 and was completed in the 1570s, making it the oldest surviving building in Belozersk and one of the oldest in the Russian North. In form it consists of the traditional four-pillar five-domed cubic structure.  The cathedral was closed in… Read more »

Handicraft and Tourism Centre

  • 72 Sovetsky Prospekt

The Handicraft and Tourism Centre is located in the 19th century estate house of a local merchant and offers tourists excursions and master-classes to find out more about traditional handicraft using various materials.  The centre also has a souvenir shop which sells a wide range of gifts made by masters of the centre. Read more »

Lake Beloe Museum

  • 5 Ulitsa Sergeya Bikulova
  • Summer: 10:00 - 18:00, closed on Mondays and Tuesday. Winter: 10:00 - 17:30 and closed on Sundays.

The Lake Beloe Museum was opened in 2013 in an 19th century merchant house and is dedicated to the flora and fauna surrounding Lake Beloe.  Its first hall displays various fossils, a collection of insects and information about the birds which migrate to the lake.  The second hall shows stuffed versions of the animals that can be found in the forests around the lake.  There is also a section dedicated to minerals and rocks. The museum is run as a branch of the Belozersk Regional… Read more »

Ss Peter and Paul's Church

  • 22 Ulitsa Frunze

Ss Peter and Paul's Church was built in 1770 to replace two earlier churches,  once part of the Belozersky Petropavlovsky Monastery which was dissolved in 1620.  The new stone church also included a bell tower, but after the Revolution the church was closed and most of its church architectural features, including the bell tower, were removed.  The building was then handed over to the Belozersk Regional Museum which occupied it up to 2012.  The building was recently restored… Read more »

Vladimir Lenin Monument

  • Torgovaya Ploschad, Sovetsky Prospekt

Belozersk's main square is Torgovaya Ploschad (Trade Square) which is located on Sovetsky Prospekt next to the kremlin.  It is so named as the city's 19th century Trading Rows can be found here, next to the city's statue of Vladimir Lenin.  Belozersk's Lenin has seen better days and the leader of the October Revolution is now missing his nose Read more »

Around Ulitsa Svobody

St Elijah's Church and Intercession Church

  • Ulitsa Shukshina

Belozersk's only wooden church is St Elijah's Church which is said to have been built between 1690 and 1696.  The church is an example of what is known as a tier church as it consists of a cubic structure topped by a smaller square, then an even smaller octagon and finally a dome.  Along with the Dormition and Transfiguration of the Saviour Cathedrals, St Elijah's Church is protected as a site of federal significance. It is currently being "restored" which involves replacing much… Read more »

In the North of the City

All-Merciful Saviour Church

  • next to 12 Ulitsa Dzerzhinskogo
  • Summer: 10:00 - 18:00, closed on Mondays and Tuesday. Closed in winter.

One of the most beautiful churches in Belozersk is the All-Merciful Saviour Church which is often called the Saviour on the Canal to distinguish it from the two other churches in the city which were dedicated to the Saviour.  The church dates from 1723 and its main structure is decorated with pretty tiles and topped with five black domes.  The tiles are green, yellow, blue and brown in colour which traditionally represent the grass, the sun, the sky and the earth.  Attached to this… Read more »

Belozersky Canal

  • North of the city

Running across the north of Belozersk just below Lake Beloe is the Belozersky Canal which was constructed between 1843 and 1846.  A plan to create a canal had existed since the times of Peter the Great to avoid the need of sailing through Lake Beloe itself where frequent storms often resulted in shipwrecks.  The 66.8 kilometres of canal connects the River Kovzha with the River Sheksna and makes up part of the Volga-Baltic Waterway. Read more »

Ruins of St John the Baptist's Church

  • Ulitsa III-go Internatsionala

On Ulitsa III-go Internatsionala is the former St John the Baptist's Church, which dates from 1810.  In 1932 the church was closed and it was turned into a museum and then a tractor station, before being completely abandoned.  Today all that remains of it are the main building, on which you can still see the decorative elements of the classical design.   Read more »

Ruins of St Paraskeva Pyatnitsa's Church

  • Naberezhnaya PK Geogrievskogo

Further on from St John the Baptist's Church, standing on the bank of the canal are the remains of St Paraskeva Pyatnitsa's Church.  This church was built in 1795 in the baroque style.  It was closed in the 1930s and the upper part of the bell tower, the vestibule and its domes were destroyed.  Although restoration work was started in the 1980s this was halted in the 90s and today the former church remain abandoned and stands in ruins. Read more »

Sergey Orlov House Museum

  • 12 Ulitsa Dzerzhinskogo
  • Summer: 10:00 - 18:00, closed on Mondays and Tuesday. Winter: 10:00 - 17:30 and closed on Sundays.

The Soviet poet Sergey Orlov was born in the Belozersk District and during the Second World War joined the Belozersk home guard before seeing active duty as a captain of a tank platoon which left him badly injured and burned.  This museum dedicated to him was opened in 1981 and details his life, career and war time actions.   There is also a bust of Orlov located a block south of the museum on the corner with Ulitsa Sergeya Orlova. Read more »