Gorky Park, or the Maksim Gorky Central Park of Culture and Rest to give it its full name, was established along the bank of the River Moskva in 1928 and named in honour of the author Maksim Gorky in 1932. The park's main architect was Konstantin Melnikov who was responsible for much of the park's avant-garde architecture. In 2011 the park was given a new lease of life with large-scale renovation. Many of its tacky out-dated amusement rides were removed and the park was transformed into a modern, eco-friendly recreational area. In winter the park turns into a massive ice rink. Since the recent renovation, entrance to the park has been free of charge.
Since 2011 the Garage Centre for Contemporary Culture has been located inside a special pavilion in Gorky Park. The centre holds exhibits dedicated to contemporary Russian and international culture. The centre also incorporates a café and a book shop. It also holds educational lectures and artistic workshops, including for children, and runs research projects.
|Location||9 Ulitsa Krymsky Val|