Moscow is considered to have been founded by Prince Yuri Dolgoruky in 1147. Dolgoruky was born around the turn of the 12th century and became the Prince of Rostov-Suzdal and then the Grand Prince of Kiev. This equestrian statue of him was unveiled in 1954. Like most statues of Yuri Dolgoruky, prominence is given to his arm as Dolgoruky means the Long-Armed, a name gained due to his policy of ruling Kiev from afar. The statue faces the Moscow Government building.