The first mention of the Vysoko-Petrovsky Monastery came in 1377 and it is traditionally considered to have been founded by Metropolitan Peter, who moved to Moscow in 1325 and died in 1326. The monastery was closed in 1918 although its Our Lady of Bogolyubovo Church remained open until 1929. In 1992 several of the monastery's building were returned to the Orthodox and a decision was taken to fully re-establish the monastery in 2009.
Intercession Gate-Church and Our Lady of Tolga Church
The main entrance to the monastery is served by the Intercession Gate-Church within the monastery's Naryshkin baroque style bell tower built between 1690 and 1696. Immediately to the south of this is the Our Lady of Tolga Church which is part of the monastery's Naryshkin Chambers and another example of a baroque but of a later period, dating from the mid-18th century.
Our Lady of Bogolyubovo Church
In the very north of the monastery is the monastery's second cathedral - the Our Lady of Bogolyubovo Church - which dates from 1684. It is rather ornate in style with five black domes standing above a row of kokoshniks.
St Peter's Cathedral
The oldest building in the monastery is St Peter's Cathedral which is dedicated to St Peter, Metropolitan of Moscow. It was built between 1514 and 1517 in the style of what is known as a rotunda church due to its appearance. Its architect was Aloisio the New (Alevix Fryazin) the Italian architect who was also responsible for Archangel Michael's Cathedral in the Kremlin.
St Sergius of Radonezh's Church
To the south of St Peter's Church is St Sergius of Radonezh's Church which was built between 1690 and 1702 and incorporates a large refectory. It is similar in design to the Our Lady of Bogolyubovo Church, but with green domes instead of black.
St Pachomius the Great's Gate Church
Finally in the south of the monastery, standing over the monastery's southern gates which are no longer used, is St Pachomius the Great's Gate Church. It is dates from the mid-18th century and is the worst preserved of all the churches in the monastery.
|Location||28/2 Ulitsa Petrovka|
|Metro||Tverskaya, Pushkinskaya, Chekhovskaya|