Mikhail Bulgakov and his wife settled in apartment 50 of 10 Ulitsa Bolshaya Sadovaya in 1921 when they moved to Moscow and they lived here until 1924. The apartment also features in Bulgakov's most famous novel 'The Master and Margarita' as the "sinister apartment" where the Devil chose to stay and hold his ball. Since the full publication of the novel in the 1970s the apartment has gained cult status (as well as lots of graffiti marking its staircase) and in 2003 the first permanent exhibition on Bulgakov and his work was opened in the apartment. In 2007 some of Bulgakov's personal belongings and manuscripts were donated to the museum which subsequently gained official status as the State Mikhail Bulgakov Museum - the only museum in Russia dedicated to the author. The museum also has a nice cafe inside.
|Location||apartment 50 (4th floor), entrance 6, 10 Ulitsa Bolshaya Sadovaya (metro Mayakovskaya)|
|Clock||12:00 - 19:00 (Thursdays: 14:00 - 21:00). Closed on Mondays.|