Around Lubyanskaya Ploschad and Novaya Ploschad

St George's Church in Luchniki

St George's Church on Lubyansky Proezd gets its additional name - Luchniki - as historically arrow makers settled in this area (luki meaning bow and luchnik meaning archer). A church dedicated to St George is known to have existed here since at least 1490. The current version was built between 1692 and 1694. In 1932 the church was closed and subsequently used as accommodation for the NKVD (a forerunner of the KGB). It was returned to the Orthodox Church in 1993.

sights by districts  sights in Kitai-Gorod

Location 11 Lubyansky Proezd
Metro Lubyanka, Kitai-Gorod