The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts is the largest museum of European art in Moscow and a must for art lovers. The initiative to open a museum of art in Moscow came from the professor Ivan Tsvetaev (father of the poet Marina Tsvetaeva) who managed to persuade millionaires to part with their cash in support. The museum eventually opened its doors in 1912 and was originally named after Emperor Alexander III. After the Revolution many works of art were transferred here from the Hermitage in St Petersburg. In 1937 the museum was named in honour of Pushkin in commemoration of the centenary of his death. Today the museum has various departments including paintings, graphics, sculptures, applied art, coins and archaeology. Annually in December the museum holds the Svyatoslav Richter's December Evenings music festival.
|Location||12 Ulitsa Volkhonka|
|Clock||10:00 - 19:00. Closed on Mondays.|