Also located on the premises of the State Medical University, although open to the public, is St Dmitri of Priluki's Church in Devichye Pole. The small church was built between 1880 and 1903 in the Byzantine revival style with a large squat central dome on a rotunda. The church was closed during the Soviet era and it was eventually given over for the university to use. The building was subsequently used by the organ transplant pioneer Vladimir Demikhov, who is most known for his experiments involving transplanting heads of dogs. The building was only returned to the Orthodox Church in 1990.
|Location||6 Ulitsa Bolshaya Pirogovskaya|