Ss Peter and Paul's Lutheran Cathedral is the main cathedral of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of European Russia, part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Central Asia. There has been an official Lutheran community in Russia since 1626 and work on the first stone Lutheran church was started in 1694 in the presence of Tsar Peter the Great. The current building though was constructed between 1903 and 1905 to cater for Moscow's 17,000 strong Lutheran congregation, mainly made up of ethnic German, Latvians, Estonians, Finns and Swedes. In 1928 St Michael's Lutheran Church in Moscow was closed and subsequently demolished, however its 17th century Bible, 18th century altar and 19th century organ were transferred to Ss Peter and Paul's. Eventually in 1936 Ss Peter and Paul's was also closed and the building was given over to be used as a studio. In 1992 the building was returned to the Lutheran community and in 1997 construction work began which continued until 2010 when the cathedral's 62-metre spire was replaced. Services are held here in Russian and German.
|Location||7/10 Starosadsky Pereulok|