During four-day trip to the world's deepest lake you will be able to see Irkutsk - the oldest city in Siberia - plus Olkhon - the largest island in Lake Baikal. Olkhon is one of the symbols of Baikal and the only inhabited island in the lake. Next to the island is the lake’s deepest point of 1642 metres. The 71km-long island offers tourists a wide range of landscapes - steppe, sandy beaches with dunes, thick forests, rocky shorelines and even its own lake. It is also one of the centres of the shamanistic religion with many sacred places. As the island is rather far from Irkutsk, this trip involves two long transfers by car, although you will see beautiful parts of the Irkutsk Region out of the window.
On the tour you will not be accompanied by a guide when travelling, but a local guide will meet you to take you on excursions. If you wish, for an additional cost, we can arrange for a guide to accompany you throughout the whole trip.
Total distance of the tour: 664km
Irkutsk → Olkhon Island → Irkutsk
Total distance of the tour: 664km
1 DAY / IRKUTSK - OLKHON
Arrival in Irkutsk. A guide with a sign saying will wait for you in the arrival section of Irkutsk Airport or the Railway Station, depending on your transportation.
Breakfast at a cafe.
City tour of Irkutsk - the highlights of the tour includes:
- Icebreaker Angara Museum – one of the oldest surviving icebreakers in the world. It was made in Britain and commissioned in 1900. Over the next century it served a mix of transport, labour, scientific and military needs.
- Angara Embankment – one of the favourite places for residents of Irkutsk to relax and walk. There are also several historical monuments located here, including a memorial complex dedicated to the achievements of local people during the Second World War, the Moskovskie Gates triumphal arch, a monument to Emperor Alexander III, and a monument to Yakov Pokhabov – one of the founders of Irkutsk.
- 130th Quarter - a favourite places for tourists as here many historical buildings have survived and many others have been restored giving the resemblance of a 19th century Irkutsk street. Several of the buildings of this quarter are protected as monuments of federal significance.
- Exaltation of the Cross Church - this is perhaps the most beautiful church in Irkutsk and dates from 1760. It is the only church in Siberia to retain its full 18th century interior.
Transfer to Olkhon Island. On the way you will stop at a cafe for lunch, where you will try some national Buryatian cuisine.
Arrival in the settlement of Khuzhir and check-in at the hotel. Free time on the island.
2 DAY / OLKHON ISLAND / KHOBOY CAPE
Excursion to Cape Khoboy - the cape represents the most northernly point of the island and from here you can enjoy amazing views of the lake. You will kave a little picnic near the cape Khoboy. The highlights of the tour includes:
- Shamanka Rock – the main sight on the island and a symbol of Lake Baikal. It is considered a holy place and often features in films and photos of Baikal.
- Cape Sagan-Khushun - a ridge of picturesque rocks whose name translates from the Buryat as Cape White. Some of the most beautiful rocks here are known as the Three Brothers. At the base of the cape there are many grottos, some of which can even be visited by boat.
- Peschanka – the constant wind which blows in from Baikal here brings with it lots of sand which forms dunes and hills. It is the largest deposit of sand, not just on Olkhon, but in the whole of the eastern shore of the lake.
- Cape Khoboy – this is a whole complex of stunning rock formations, some among forests and others covered with an orange lichen. Some of the rocks have holes or intricate cracks which makes them all the more beautiful. It is a favourite place for meditation. The cape is located at the widest part of Baikal, and so only on the clearest of days can you see the eastern shore of the lake. Here you will have a small picnic outside with a stunning view of the lake as your backdrop.
- Uzury – a beautiful part of the island which resembles an alpine meadow. Situated here is one of the oldest weather stations on Baikal. It is the only place on the north of the island where the road goes down to the water. You can ride horses here or just take in the wonderful view.
Duration: 6 hours | Transportation: walking excursion
Night on the island.
3 DAY / OLKHON ISLAND - IRKUTSK
Free time on the island.
Transfer to Irkutsk.
Night in Irkutsk.
4 DAY / IRKUTSK
Transfer to the airport.
- The tour is available in English, French and German other languages upon request.
- During the high season (from May to September) and on public holidays we recommend you book in advance as Olkhon Island a popular tourist destination.
- All excursions/guided tours included in the itinerary are private which means private guides and private transport along the programme - unless otherwise stated.
- The tour is suitable for travellers with childrens but keep in mind long diistance transfers along the tour.
- Best time to travel on this route: from the end of May to mid-September and from the end of February to end of March.
- The prices given below are for guidance only. The actual final cost of the tour will depend on availability. Hotel prices and train tickets may increase or decrease in cost depending on how much in advance you book them.
• CANCELLATION POLICY •
DATE OF CANCELLATION
|FROM 60 TO 45 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||10%|
|FROM 44 TO 15 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||30%|
|FROM 14 TO 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||50%|
|LESS THAN 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||100%|