Rostov Veliky and Yaroslavl are two of the most beautiful cities on the Golden Ring, which are also located on the Trans-Siberian Railway. During this one day tour to Rostov and Yaroslavl you will see the stunning white kremlin of Rostov, enjoy wonderful views of the ancient lake Nero and visit the real Russian provinces. If you are lucky you might also have the chance to hear the famed tolls of the Rostov bells, but you will certain be able to buy some of the finift painting on enamel for which the city is renowned. The Rostov Kremlin has been described as the most beautiful in Russia thanks to its fairy tale architecture.
You will also visit the unofficial capital of the Golden Ring – Yaroslavl where you will get to appreciate ancient Russian architecture by visiting the Spaso-Preobrazhnesky Monastery and see its unique landmarks: St Elijah the Prophet's Church and the Beheading of St John the Baptist Church, all of which are protected as UNESCO World Heritage Sites. In addition you will also get the chance to walk along the beautiful embankment on the River Volga.
• 06:30 •
Transfer to Moscow's Yaroslavl Station. Please note that the check-in for Russian trains starts 30 minutes before departure. You must have your passport with you and present it at check-in. A driver with a sign saying will wait for you at the lobby of your hotel or place where you stayed.
• 07:35 •
Departure of the express train to Yaroslavl.
Duration: 3½ hours
• 10:11 •
Arrival in Rostov Veliky. The guide will meet you outside your carriage with a sign saying . Excursion around Rostov - the highlights of this tour include:
- Rostov Kremlin – a unique pre-Petrine Russian architecture ensemble. The multitude of onion domes, walkways on kremlin walls and ancient belfry resemble a world out of a Russian fairy tales.
- Dormition Cathedral – the main cathedral within the kremlin. Several Rostov princes and bishops are interred inside, including Archbishop Iona Sysoevich, who oversaw the construction of the kremlin.
- Museum of Rostov Finift - this museum has a collection of over 3,000 pieces of finift painted enamel made according to the Rostov tradition.
- Spaso-Yakovlevsky Monastery – a pretty monastery located on the very shores of Lake Nero popular with both tourists and pilgrims, who come to pray at the shrine of St Demetrius of Rostov.
Duration: 3h | Transportation: by a private car
After the excursion you will have time for lunch.
• 14:00 •
Transfer to Yaroslavl.
• 15:00 •
Arrival in Yaroslavl. City tour around Yaroslavl - the highlights of this tour include:
- Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery – this is the oldest structure and the main sight in the city, often mistaken for the Yaroslavl Kremlin which no longer stands. It was founded in the 12 century, then on the outskirts of the city. In the 16th century the state treasury was transferred here and in 1612 it became the headquarters of the volunteer army of Minin and Pozharsky. The main feature of the monastery is the Transfiguration Cathedral which in its past served as the final resting place for princes and rich inhabitants of Yaroslavl. It is closed from October to May to protect its wonderful frescoes.
- Volga Embankment - this embankment runs along the longest river in Europe - the Volga. The river has been the life-line of the city since the very first kremlin was founded here establishing the city. When walking around these beautiful surroundings, you will be treated not only to great views of the river, but also of the historical churches situated around the embankment.
- St Elijah the Prophet’s Church - this unique mid-17th century church is a masterpiece of ancient Russian architecture. The original version was founded during the reign of Prince Yaroslav the Wise. The interior of the church was decorated in 1668 with frescos by the famous icon painters from Kostroma Guri Nikitin and Sila Savin and their team from Yaroslavl.
- Beheading of St John the Baptist Church – this stunning example of Russian architecture was built between 1671 and 1687 in the Tolchkovskaya Sloboda just outside Yaroslavl. It is the largest church in the city and today features of the 1,000 rouble note. It is considered the peak of the Yaroslavl architectural style, mainly thanks to its wonderful domes.
Transportation: by private car | Duration: 3 hours
• 18:45 •
Transfer to the railway station.
• 19:32 •
Express train to Moscow
Duration: 3½ hours
• 22:53 •
Arrival in Moscow. A driver will wait for you next to your carriage with a sign saying .
- The tour is available the whole year round starting on any day, but please take into account that the museum’s working hours and days-off vary so we reserve the right to change the itinerary while trying to save the excursion programme.
- Optional excursions should be booked before the start of the tour.
- Some religious sights such as active monasteries require a specific dress code in order to be allowed to visit - for women a scarf to cover your head and a skirt covering your knees (no trousers); for men no shorts and all headwear must be removed.
- The tour is available in Other languages upon request.
• CANCELLATION POLICY •
DATE OF CANCELLATION
(with respect to the date of the departure)
(with respect to the total price of the tour)
|FROM 60 TO 45 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||10%|
|FROM 44 TO 15 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||30%|
|FROM 14 TO 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||50%|
|LESS THAN 7 DAYS BEFORE THE DEPARTURE||100%|
|PRICE PER GROUP||1-2 PAX||3-4 PAX||5-6 PAX||7-8 PAX|