Irkutsk's Znamensky Convent was first mentioned in 1689. Back then its buildings were entirely built out of wood and the first stone buildings only came in the mid-18th century. Construction of the main church - the Our Lady of the Sign Church - began in 1757 and was completed in 1762. It survives to this day.
In 1920 the convent was closed and its church followed suit in 1934. However the church was reopened for worship in 1945. The convent was only reopened though in 1994. Since 1991 the Our Lady of the Sign Church has been the eparchial cathedral of the Irkutsk and Angarsk Eparchy.
|Location||14 Ulitsa Angarskaya|