Standing on Sovetskaya Ploschad (Soviet Square) is a bell tower which is the sole surviving part of what was the Exaltation of the Cross Church. The original stone church was built between 1688 and 1692 to replace an earlier wooden version. In the mid-19th century the church was rebuilt and the surviving bell tower dates from this period. In the 1930s the church was closed and subsequently destroyed. Its bell tower was only kept as it was reequipped as a watchtower for the neighbouring fire station. Today the bell tower is used as a viewing platform.