St George's Upper Church is so-called to distinguish it from the St George's Church south of the River Dnieper. It was completed in 1810 and sacked two years later during the French occupation of Smolensk. It was restored in 1820 and later became a cemetery church. During the Soviet times it was allowed to fall into disrepair and was practically in ruins when it was returned to the Orthodox Church in 1993. It has since been restored and reopened.
|Location||2 Ulitsa Tolmacheva|