At the spot where the walls from the Kopytenskaya Tower end are the Lopatinsky Gardens (also known as the Central Park of Culture and Rest) where another of Smolensk's symbols is located - the Monument to the Defenders of Smolensk on the 4th and 5th August 1812. It was unveiled in 1841 on the 29th anniversary of the liberation of Smolensk from Napoleon's forces. It comprises a 26 metre cast iron octagonal obelisk which is topped with a dome and a golden cross. The obelisk is also decorated with reliefs and the names of the generals who led the defence of Smolensk.
Also located in Lopatinsky Gardens is the grave of General-Major Anton Skalon who fell defending Smolensk and an eagle monument to the Sofiysky Regiment which stands on top of earthen citadel constructed in the early 17th century where three towers once stood.
|Location||Lopatinsky Sad, off Ulitsa Karla Marksa|