Around Ploschad Pobedy and Ulitsa Tenishevoi

Shein Bastion

Shein Bastion (June 2012)

This 18 metre high earthen mound was built in 1634 to cover the gap left after the Granovitaya Tower and surrounding walls had been destroyed. It is now named after Mikhail Shein who commanded Russian troops during the 1609-1611 Siege of Smolensk and the Smolensk War of 1632-1634. During the Napoleonic Wall the bastion was reinforced and saw heavy fighting once again.

Location Park Pionerov