The Voznesensky Convent was established in the 1630s and dedicated to the Ascension ('voznesenie') of Christ. In 1665 the monastery was changed into a convent. Closed during the Soviet times, the convent has since been reopened. The convent's main cathedral is the large Ascension Cathedral which was built between 1693 and 1704 on the orders of Tsar Peter the Great, who decided to replace the convent's old wooden churches. Two other churches are found inside: the 18th century baroque St Catherine's Church and the 19th century Our Lady of Akhtyrka Church built over the convent's holy gates.
|Location||9 Ulitsa Konyonkova|