Sights of Zvenigorod

Around the City

Anton Chekhov Monument

  • outside 12 Ulitsa Moskovskaya

In 2010 a new monument was unveiled in the city dedicated to Anton Chekhov who spent two years living in Zvenigorod when he was working at the city's hospital. The monument depicts a relaxed Chekhov sat on a bench with his dog. It was inspired by a photo of the writer taken from his personal album. Read more »

Ascension Cathedral

  • 2A Ulitsa Moskovskaya

The modern-looking Ascension Cathedral was built between 2006 and 2007 to replace an earlier cathedral which stood here from 1792 until 1941 when it was destroyed. It is rather unusual in design for Russian churches. It has one slightly larger central dome surrounded by four domes which are slightly lower. Read more »

St Sabbas of Storozh and Prince Yury of Zvenigorod Monument

  • outside 22 Ulitsa Moskovskaya

In addition to the monument to St Sabbas outside the monastery, there is a second statue of him in the city centre. This time he is joined by Prince Yury of Zvenigorod. Prince Yury is famous in Zvenigorod as during his reign he greatly developed the city, including inviting St Sabbas to come to Zvenigorod to establish a monastery. In Russian history he is known for his role in the Moscow Civil War, when he overthrow his nephew Grand Prince Vasily II twice. Read more »

War Memorial

  • next to 11 Ulitsa Moskovskaya

Zvenigorod's War Memorial comprises a statue of a Red Army soldier, memorial tiles and an eternal flame. It is dedicated to the Zvenigorod citizens and the soldiers of the 5th army of the Western Front who fell for the Motherland between 1941 and 1945. At the end of November 1941 the Nazis took Istra and were approaching on Zvenigorod. It was the 5th Army which stopped the Nazis and kept Zvenigorod from being occupied. Read more »

Out of the Centre

Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery and Museum

  • approximately 2km west of the city centre
  • Monastery - http://savvastor.ru Museum - http://zvenmuseum.ru/

Zvenigorod's most famous sight is the Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery, which was founded in 1398 by the monk Savva from the Troitse-Sergieva Lavra, at the invitation and with the support of Prince Yury Dmitrievich of Zvenigorod. Savva was later canonised as St Sabbas (Savva) of Storozhev. The monastery late flourished under the reign of Tsar Alexis, who chose the monastery as his family church and often went on pilgrimage there and made lots of donations to it. Most of the… Read more »

Savvinsky Skete

  • 1km from monastery

Not far from the Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery is the Savvinsky Skete which is located on the very area where legend has it St Sabbas secluded himself from the outside world in a cave. The pretty and ornate St Sabbas of Storozhev’s Church at the Skete was built in 1862. Outside the Skete is the wooden Chapel over a Holy-Water Spring. Read more »

St Sabbas of Storozhev Monument

  • outside the Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery

Just outside of the Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery is a monument to its founder St Sabbas (Savva) of Storozhev, which was erected in 2007. Little is known about St Sabbas’ early life until he became a monk under St Sergius of Radonezh at the Troitse-Sergieva Monastery. He also became the confessor of Dmitri Donskoy’s widow Yevdokia and their son Prince Yuri of Zvenigorod. It was at the suggestion of Prince Yuri that Sabbas left the Troitse-Sergieva Monastery to set up the… Read more »

Zvenigorod Gorodok

  • Zvenigorod Gorodok

In 1389 Grand Prince Dmitry Donskoy's son Yury became the third prince of Zvenigorod. Unlike the previous princes of Zvenigorod, Yury Dmitrievich decided to set up residence in Zvenigorod and established it on a hill overlooking the River Moskva, complete with earthen mound defences. This type of fortified settlement in Russian is called a 'gorodok' and this area has become known as the Zvenigorod Gorodok. Dormition Cathedral Inside the gorodok is the Dormition Cathedral… Read more »